Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transitioning to a new job

Options
  • 08-11-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

I just got a new part-time job in Shop Y(won't say the name in case it's illegal, but it's a pretty big chain), and I currently work part-time in a local DVD shop.

Shop Y have given me shifts on Thursday, saturday and Sundays. Currently, my shifts in current job are Fri evening, Sat afternoon and every odd Sunday afternoon.

I'm a little confused about my contract with the new job. I applied for a christmas season position, meaning I should only be there until Jan or so. However, when the manager offered me the position, he didn't mention it being seasonal, he just said "I'd like to offer you a part-time position, if you're still interested?" and he did ask "Do the shifts work around college for you?"

You see, I know the job I currently have is safe, but I don't like I'm only given 10 hrs per weekend. If I quit, and Shop Y turns out to be tempoary, I will be unemployed come the end of my contract with Shop Y.

I would ask to keep my Friday shift in DVD shop, but I'm not sure would boss be happy with keeping an employee for just one shift. But if i want this job after Christmas, then I need to secure this shift.

New manager said if I have any question I can ring him, but I think ringing him and asking wether he has offered me a permanent positon or not is pretty daft, considering I applied for seasonal.

So, i'm a little confused. I've three weeks to hand in a two week notice to current job, but at the same time i'm unaware if shop y is temp or permanent. Do you think if I contact new manager and ask him to clarify my position he won't think of it as being naive? And, if this new position is only temp, how should i handle my current job? Should I try and ask my boss for one shift a week while in this position, or would that be considered conflict of interest while working here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

I would definitely ring him and ask about whether he was offering you a permanent position. You'll kick yourself if you don't, and it turns out that the offer was permanent.

I don't think it's a silly question, just tell him that you want clarification before you commit to the contract - I'm sure that he won't think you're silly just for being cautious and wanting to be sure.

I'm not sure how you could handle both - you could just tell the boss at the job you have that you have some commitments which are going to take up your time over Christmas, and see what kind of flexibility is there for you.

Advertisement