Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets arrested for wearing a Mc Cain T Shirt at an Obama victory rally.

Options
  • 08-11-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

This is just the start of things that we may see unfolding in America. A guy is carted off by cops contary to the first ammendment on freedom of speech. Some may say that the cops were doing the guy a favour because the hysterical crowd could have turned on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vynzd9cpQRQ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

As if Obama supporters would turn on him, it's only Republican supporters who are capable of violence:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Curious how we don't see any footage of what this man was doing before he was arrested. Seems like we're only getting one side of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Quinine wrote: »
    Curious how we don't see any footage of what this man was doing before he was arrested. Seems like we're only getting one side of the story.
    He was probably "disturbing the peace" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

He was probably "disturbing the peace" :confused:

We may never know. The video seems carefully edited. If this gentleman was doing nothing then why was footage of him doing nothing not shown?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This is just the start of things that we may see unfolding in America.
    Get real! Obama supporters are not going to start wearing black uniforms, slip on red and white "O" arm bands, and start goose stepping to the sound of an Obama drummer. Look at the diversity evident in the election exit polls, and you will find real diversity in his supporters. More Independents, women, Hispanics, and Blacks voted for Obama than McCain. Even some moderate Republicans voted for Obama. More Americans from all walks of life voted for Obama than McCain by an historic landslide election victory by the millions (and all Americans are not alike, including Obama supporters). They wouldn't go for the loss of first rights amendments (unlike those Constitutional/Bill of Rights to privacy eroded by Bush's 9/11 fear-hysteria passed Patriot Act and now challenged by the American Civil Liberties Union).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This is just the start of things that we may see unfolding in America.

Start of what things? Getting arrested, detained for something on your t-shirt? Where have you been living the last 8 years? You must of missed the news reports of people being denied to fly/detained because of t-shirts which had arabic written on them.

As for the guy getting arrested, would be interesting to see the full details rather then an edited video.

looking around.
    Philadelphia Police Sgt. Ray Evers told WND the man, whose name was not released, was arrested for disorderly conduct and public drunkenness.

"He was causing large crowds to form around him," Evers said, adding that he also "was not listening to police commands."

"He was asked several times to leave the area," the sergeant said. "He refused several commands from police to leave the area."

So he wasn't arrested for the T-Shirt. They asked him to leave and he refused.

As for the idiots in the crowd, he is in the middle of Obama supporters. What did you expect them to chant? Although I did notice them booing when they tried to remove the guy.

Hobbes wrote: »
    So he wasn't arrested for the T-Shirt. They asked him to leave and he refused.

Because they were asking him to leave... because of the shirt.

Guy looked (to me anyway) like he was doing nothing. Didn't seem aggressive
    or anything. Looks like the cops were just trying to arrest him to get him out of there (to prevent anything from happening).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Title of thread is wrong. It should read "Man wearing a McCain T-Shirt detained by police at an Obama victory rally for unclear reasons".

Ideally, if the thread is going to draw attention to the guy's attire, it should also include mention of the presumably-toy sword he had stuck down the back of the t-shirt, with the hilt sticking out over his shoulder.
    A guy is carted off by cops contary to the first ammendment on freedom of speech.

If it is clear somewhere in the video that the reason he was arrested was that he tried to exercise his freedom of speech, I'd be interested in knowing where.

Otherwise, I would point out that being "carted off by the cops" is not contrary to the First Amendment.
    Some may say that the cops were doing the guy a favour because the hysterical crowd could have turned on him.
    I certainly wouldn't.

I'd ask, instead, what the officer meant when he told his colleague "don't tell him no more". It would suggest that the officers had told this guy to do something, which he had ignored / refused to do. I'd like to know what that was, and why they told him.

ETA: I will say that one thing is clear from the video which I feel does need to be addressed, and that is the attitude that one increasingly sees from police being filmed doing their jobs. Surely they should welcome such attention if they have confidence that they are acting within the rules and regulations laid down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Loving the youtube comments;
    steveninthematrix (12 minutes ago)

yip...

obama and bush and cheney are COUSINS!

get informed,
    get prepared,

the satanic occultic elite are not playing games, they will nuke, they will unleash bird-flu, they use fluoride and aspartame and msg to give 40% of americans CANCER and engineered-DEATH

get informed!!!

take care everyone

Cops asked him to leave, he didn't... What did he expect.

Sherifu wrote: »

In fairnes, if that's what happened, then the cop would want a damned good reason for asking/telling him to leave.

Its not the job of the police to decide who can / cannot attend a public assembly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

bonkey wrote: »
    In fairnes, if that's what happened, then the cop would want a damned good reason for asking/telling him to leave.

Its not the job of the police to decide who can / cannot attend a public assembly.

Cops CAN ask you to vacate an area for your own safety; but aside from that, the fact of the matter is that either there (a) was no "damned good reason" or (b) there WAS a "damned good reason" but the ****-stirrer that edited the video didn't want the viewers to see that.

And titling this thread the same way doesn't help; it should be "Wonder why this guy was arrested ?"

The only FACT is that we don't know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And titling this thread the same way doesn't help; it should be "Wonder why this guy was arrested ?"

The only FACT is that we don't know.
    Indeed! Why didn't the good citizen with the vid show us what happened BEFORE the person was arrested? And given the lack of information regarding this incident, the title of this thread should be changed accordingly (or referred to Fox News for their next "fair and balanced news" programme, maybe with Bill O'Spin Zone hosting)?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,913 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sherifu wrote: »
    Loving the youtube comments;

well that isn't all crap - Obama and Cheaney ARE cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

look at the sword, even if its a toy ffs what was he doing wearing that. endangering himself.

dont' worry the cops are still repulicans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

ETA: I will say that one thing is clear from the video which I feel does need to be addressed, and that is the attitude that one increasingly sees from police being filmed doing their jobs. Surely they should welcome such attention if they have confidence that they are acting within the rules and regulations laid down.

Has there been many examples of amateur camera men following cops around to demonstrate what a good job theyre doing?

Most people get defensive when they feel their performance at their job is being questioned or put under the microscope, no matter how indirectly. Youd hardly welcome someone standing over your shoulder highlighting any error you made to demonstrate how terrible you were at your job, and indeed what a deplorable monster you were.

As for the story its a non-event. People get ejected from mass gatherings where its potentially going to cause a public disorder - given the hysteria the Obama supporters were whipping themselves into, its not beyond the scope of possibility they guy could have been struck or shoved around. Police instructed him to leave for A) his own safety, and B) to maintain public order [ as best as could be maintained with thousands of people flooding into the streets screaming and shouting I guess].

I am just surprised by some attitude however. I had assumed at least one poster would have been outraged by this. Hes cited one or two other incidents where people were ejected from Republican gatherings for banners or t-shirts far more provocative than what this guy was wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Run_to_da_hills, looks like your crap has been shot down yet again.

Any response?

bonkey wrote: »
    Ideally, if the thread is going to draw attention to the guy's attire, it should also include mention of the presumably-toy sword he had stuck down the back of the t-shirt, with the hilt sticking out over his shoulder.
    Is this a joke? If not, toy sword freedom of speech? Did everyone, especially those from a distance in the crowd, know that the sword was a toy? What kind of weirdo would show up in a crowd with one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Get real! Obama supporters are not going to start wearing black uniforms, slip on red and white "O" arm bands, and start goose stepping to the sound of an Obama drummer. Look at the diversity evident in the election exit polls, and you will find real diversity in his supporters. More Independents, women, Hispanics, and Blacks voted for Obama than McCain. Even some moderate Republicans voted for Obama. More Americans from all walks of life voted for Obama than McCain by an historic landslide election victory by the millions (and all Americans are not alike, including Obama supporters). They wouldn't go for the loss of first rights amendments (unlike those Constitutional/Bill of Rights to privacy eroded by Bush's 9/11 fear-hysteria passed Patriot Act and now challenged by the American Civil Liberties Union).
    Diversity equates to not being white or male?

Last time I checked, 52-46 was NOT a landslide - very few countries (maybe Italy) would consider it a wide margin of victory.

Diversity equates to not being white or male?
    I didn't specifically say that, giving only a few examples of diversity that could be had from exit polls. You read that into my post from your own perspective, taking me out of context? I could have also mentioned diversity of ideas, that are not gender, or race/ethnicity bound, but unfortunately, the exit polls don't typically offer such data to provide support.

I did mention "More Americans from all walks of life" and "moderate Republicans" in my diversity statement, but did not categorize them further? Some of them are "White" and "male," too? And if you want to get technical, according to the US Bureau of Census, Hispanics are "White" too; that's why they ask them to identify themselves as White-Hispanic or White non-Hispanic. It's an ethnicity, not a race. "Women" and "Independents" were also mentioned, without further categorization, and many of them were "White" too, and sometimes "male" for the Independents. I could have included age as a form of diversity in the electorate, noting that the exit polls generally suggested more youth voted for Obama than McCain. Geeeeeez, I feel like I am running for an election myself, and if I do not include every possible form of diversity as an example in my post, I will be called on it.
    Last time I checked, 52-46 was NOT a landslide - very few countries (maybe Italy) would consider it a wide margin of victory.
    Well, I guess everyone has a right to their opinion, for example, these sources seem to agree that it was a "landslide" victory for Obama...

http://news.aol.com/elections/article/presidential-race/233562
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2008-11/05/content_7176780.htm
    http://www.democracynow.org/2008/11/5/headlines
    http://media.www.thechannelsonline.com/media/storage/paper669/news/2008/11/05/Election08/Obama.Wins.By.Landslide-3526616.shtml?refsource=collegeheadlines

I could go on and on with sources, and you could perhaps cite many sources that would not call it a landslide, so it's all just a matter of opinion that these boards.ie are full of, qualified or otherwise?

I did find a definition that's useful and perhaps we both can agree upon?

"There's no set definition for a landslide, but Barack Obama's resounding electoral victory seems to fit the bill."

The Facts on File Dictionary of American Politics, vagues it out as anything "exceeding expectations and being somewhat overwhelming."

Source: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/05/if-this-is-a-landslide-obama-will-be-in-fine/

Or course, we could now debate the meaning of "exceeding expectations" and "somewhat overwhelming?" Well, did McCain feel both these things about the Obama campaign, from the pre-election polls, exit polls, and election returns? By 8:30 PM PST on election day, 4 November, McCain had conceded, which caught us at our Independent bash by complete surprise, figuring that we were in for an all-nighter party and would be very drunk before the outcome was clear, given that the California election polls had closed only one-half hour before McCain quit.

**One thing is for certain...this post reveals that I have had way too much coffee tonight!**

Sand wrote:
    Has there been many examples of amateur camera men following cops around to demonstrate what a good job theyre doing?

Who cares.

Lets say that your job is looking after kids. A kid who's always annoying you takes out his camera-phone and starts filming you, obviously hoping to show what a bad child-minder you are.

Do you :

a) Go over and clip the kid upside the head, thus proving that you're not a good child-minder at least as far as this child is concerned.
    b) Live with it, on the grounds that if you can't handle people seeing how you mind kids, then there probably is some reason you shouldn't be minding them.
    Most people get defensive when they feel their performance at their job is being questioned or put under the microscope, no matter how indirectly.
    I agree. They do. Getting defensive to the point of doing their job wrong is, however, a problem, particularly when you work in a job where your role is serving the public.
    Youd hardly welcome someone standing over your shoulder highlighting any error you made to demonstrate how terrible you were at your job, and indeed what a deplorable monster you were.
    Its more-or-less a standard part of my job, to be honest.

I design and write software, which gets both peer-reviewed and which goes to a review board.

I maintain production systems, where the productive users constantly critique the my work, in terms of how the production systems perform.

I have people who'll question every single estimate I produce, and who'll review those estimates critically after I deliver...finding fault when they're too high just as equally as when they're too low.

I could see that as people trying to show how terrible I am at my job...or I can see it as people trying to ensure that I'm doing my job as well as I can. Either which way, I certainly cannot and should not be in my job if I am of the opinion that I shouldn't be allowed to be checked up on.
    As for the story its a non-event.

• Advertisement
Advertisement