Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build need help

Options
  • 08-11-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all, Im nearly finished building my pc and was wondering if this graphics card was a good buy. 1GB ATi Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Bios Graphics Card

also i have 2gbs of memory and am goin to get more. can i install 4gbs(2x 2gbs sticks) with the 2gbs?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sonic Dual Bios? Wha?

The 4870 though is a superb choice.

To my knowledge yes you could have 2x2gb + 2x1gb sticks. But it might depend on the MoBo.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Hey smallcats, may i ask you how much you paid for that gfx and where you bought it?

Also what cpu and mainboard did you use?

I,m doing my first build in 3yrs and as of now have my case and psu picked out and will more than liklely stay with MSI & AMD/ATI but some pointers would be very welcome as its been a while.

Rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Smallcats

The gpu is made by palit and i paid 262.889 euros for it on ebay.co.uk. its the best i could see for the money. there is a option to turn up the memory clock speed to 4000MHz and gpu speed to 775MHz. you should find it here

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=%09%09+%09+1GB+ATi+Radeon+HD+4870+Sonic+Dual+Bios+Graphics+Card

the cpu i used wis the q6600 which in time i will overclock. the mobo i used is the asus P5K/EPU.

The psu i went with is the corsair tx750w at 113euro which i think was a bargain.

the memory i went with is the Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D 2048MB but i think i will get more. im aiming for 6gb due to the fact i will be running vista ulimate 64bit. Found full versions of 32bit and 64bit of vista ulimate for 180euros on ebay which is a steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Overheal wrote: »
    Sonic Dual Bios? Wha?

The 4870 though is a superb choice.

To my knowledge yes you could have 2x2gb + 2x1gb sticks. But it might depend on the MoBo.

Some cards have dual bios, a small switch changes between stock and overclocked modes.

A 1gb 4870 might be worth it if you've got a fairly big monitor (24"), otherwise save money and get a 512mb 4870. Pixmania have the 4870 512mb for 209 euro.

Advertisement