Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help with purchase

• 08-11-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for buy a LCD TV. My budget is max €400. Main uses are gonna be in my bedroom for TV and PS3. My TV source is NTL basic / coax / analog(??).

I guess things it needs to support then are an analog or coax input? HDMI input? Would also like VGA / monitor input.

HD ready and Full HD - will I noticed the difference on the smaller screens? Does it make a difference?

I went into Currys today and sorta confused by the whole thing! Seems with my price range I'm looking at 19in(in shops)-22in(online) TVs??

Looking at Komplett now and seen this. Any thoughts? Will it do what I want?

Thanks for any help !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

First of all, to be gettin full hd at this size, you'd have to be gettin a monitor as opposed to a tv. Second of all, no way would you notice the difference at tv viewing range.You struggle to notice the difference even at 32"

I think you could do a bit better than a 22" too. This 32" is only 404e delivered. That has 2 hdmi ports, two scarts(For NTL) and a vga port. That samsung on komplett is well overpriced and a very old model too. If a 22" is all you want, this is only 270e delivered. Ticks all the boxes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have basic NTL analog TV through a COAX cable that comes into my house. What input do I need to look for on the TVs for this?

The general consensus or feeling I've got when it comes to LCD TVs is to go with brand names (Samsung or LG). Why don't you agree with this?

Not familiar with ntl at all but i assume it comes through an rf cable. ALL tvs have this connection so i would'nt worry about that. Fair enough if you want to get a good brand name. I, personally wouldnt have any problem chancing that 32" one but i imagine a few people would. This one is about 475 and looks pretty good for the money. The thing about gettin a 22" tv is that for only a small bit more, typically around 100e, you'll get a 32" screen which is WAY bigger.

The TV would also need a tuner though as well as wouldn't it? And some TVs (well, the big old fat CRT ones) needed both VHF and UHF tuners .. and some of the UK ones didn't have both etc?

I'm open to getting a larger one than 19/22 but the thing is then it might become a bit big for the bedroom. Not sure I want to end up putting it in the living room.

You're quite right. Cant find info tellin that that 32" toshiba has a uhf tuner but it probably does because i have seen that model on sale in shops here and it'd have to have one in that case.

• Advertisement

doesn't ireland use vhf and not uhf?

And i'm really not happy to just assume it'll work given it's in shops here because i had that problem with an old tv (one of the big fat ones!) before.

Any more thoughts welcomed though.

Ireland use both uhf and vhf, irt depends what mast you'll be picking up signal from. Really dont know anything about ntl and what transmission they use. Afaik, panasonic plasma's are the only tvs that if bought in the uk will not not have a uhf tuner, vhf only.Thats why panasonics uk and irish models are slightly different. There used to be way more brands restricted before but it makes more economic sense to make a tv that can be sold anywhere in Europe. This is not a problem if you use sky digital so many people can buy any tv without worrying about tuners.

I'm in Dublin. As far as I know NTL Basic uses both VHF and UHF. Not sure what you mean by mast? Doesn't the NTL cable come in under ground? Surely the mast would only apply if I was using an aerial to tune into RTE ? I could be wrong though so please correct me if I am.

Really dont have a clue about ntl at all. Not sure if its cable or via an aerial.You should be able to find out on the cable forum, though...

Bah .. the urge to buy it just got me. Went into Power City and bought one of these. Sure I could probably buy it online but I wanted it NOW NOW NOW.

They also said it does everything I need. So we shall see. All I need is a bloody HDMI cable for my PS3 now as the AV connection is shockingly bad.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I know buying online does'nt always seem so appealing!!! Waiting is a killer... 260e wasnt a bad price actually and it seems a decent enough set

BTW, you say you need a hdmi cable. Just in case you dont already know, get the cheapest one possible. There really is no difference with the dearer ones. This thread may be useful to you on that subject. Got 3 of them last week and they're great:)

i borrowed a hdmi cable. Tv won't work with play station using hdmi and only works with av even when i change the options on ps3? Very annoying. Gonna have to look into it or bring the tv back :(

Thats very odd. The specifications here say that it supports hdcp which would be the requirement for ps3. I'm not sure how you're trying to change the settings on the ps3 but have you tried holding the power button down for 10 seconds when you turn it on?? If not it may be the problem. Put the tv into hdmi mode and make sure that hdmi is the only lead connecting the ps3 and tv. Then when turning on the console, keep your finger on the power button until you hear the second beep. Worth a try anyway...

Turns out it was a dodgy cable. My mates PS3 works with it along with his TV but not mine. Anyways, working now that I bought a new cable (don't know what made me try that!!).

Thanks for the advice anyways lads :)

Advertisement