Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay marriage

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MooseJam wrote: »
    If a boy was raised by two effeminate gays, you know very camp like, I don't know what the official term is, but wouldn't he pick up the accent from them, even if he was straight, so he would end up talking like a queen
    There are boys like that who weren't raised by gay people, and they themselves are not necessarily gay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Varkov wrote: »
    The whole argument about gays and infertile couples being comparable just doesn't stand.

An infertile couple could still provide the child with the ideal family unit, as apposed to gays.
    What about single mothers? Should their kids be taken away from them? After all it's not ''ideal''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

If a boy was raised by two effeminate gays, you know very camp like, I don't know what the official term is, but wouldn't he pick up the accent from them, even if he was straight, so he would end up talking like a queen

When I lived in Australia, my parents spoke with an Irish accent, I spoke with an Australian one.

That might be an issue if their parents are camp, all their teachers are camp, every kid in their school is camp, their grand parents are camp, the local shop keeper is camp, and little jenny down the road is camp.

Untill then, I would not worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

they cure homosexuals in the US, I saw a tv program about it
    They don't "cure" them - what's to be "cured"?... :rolleyes:
    LOL :rolleyes:

The whole argument about gays and infertile couples being comparable just doesn't stand.

An infertile couple could still provide the child with the ideal family unit, as apposed to gays.

Bull.

Provide evidence.

Articles have been linked to from this thread showing that there is no evidence shown in studies that gay parents can be just as suitable as straight parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Keep up with the thread and stop trolling, so where did your parents go so wrong? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Dudess wrote: »
    They don't "cure" them - what's to be "cured"?... :rolleyes:

um the fact they they are attracted to the wrong sex, call it a sickness, a disorder whatever, you can be as PC as you like and say it's normal but what if every child born was gay, we'd be up sh1t creek then wouldn't we

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

um the fact they they are attracted to the wrong sex, call it a sickness, a disorder whatever, you can be as PC as you like and say it's normal but what if every child born was gay, we'd be up sh1t creek then wouldn't we

What if every child was born male? We'd be screwed then too. I guess being a guy is a disease. :rolleyes:

Nobody's talking about everybody being gay. I'm pretty sure that's an unlikely prospect.
    You're free to view homosexuality as a disorder if you want. It certainly doesn't seem to fit in with the usual order of things i.e. survival of the species but who gives a damn? We've evolved to the point where we don't rely entirely on survival of the fittest. We protect the weak, sick, old and young in our society and we afford them the same respect and entitlements as we do everyone else.

So yeah you're free to see being gay as an illness if you want to. Just as long as you don't mind some black people viewing white people as a diseased version of the original species too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

What about single mothers? Should their kids be taken away from them? After all it's not ''ideal''.

No, it's not ideal. That's why you'll find that its alot harder for single people to adopt, because preference will be given to whole family units ie. mother and a father.
    oeb wrote: »
    Bull.

Provide evidence.

Articles have been linked to from this thread showing that there is no evidence shown in studies that gay parents can be just as suitable as straight parents.

Do you mean unsuitable?

In my opinion regardless of and studies, for the best possible mental health and growth of a child, a classic family unit of both a mother and a father should always have preference.

• Advertisement

Well whats your view on paedophiles, now I'm not saying gays are paedophiles, but it's similar, in that both are attracted to the "wrong" thing

Trolling is so tiresome if you really have something to contribute of any fact or reason please do so, otherwise go away and play with yourself.
    :confused:

DubArk wrote: »
    Trolling is so tiresome if you really have something to contribute of any fact or reason please do so, otherwise go away and play with yourself.
    :confused:

Dude, will you ever piss off telling everyone to stop trolling because we're voiceing our opinions that are different to yours.

Why don't you offer something constructive to say rather than harping on "stop trolling" "dont feed the troll" trying to get kudos from the regulars.

Anyway, I agree with MooseJam, not that being gay is a disease, but rather a mental disorder. Socially acceptable to a degree perhaps, but a disorder none the less.

No, it's not ideal. That's why you'll find that its alot harder for single people to adopt, because preference will be given to whole family units ie. mother and a father.

Do you mean unsuitable?

In my opinion regardless of and studies, for the best possible mental health and growth of a child, a classic family unit of both a mother and a father should always have preference.

Your opinion is irrelivant to this discussion unless it has some grounding on fact.

Support your arguments, otherwise you are just a troll.

Well whats your view on paedophiles, now I'm not saying gays are paedophiles, but it's similar, in that both are attracted to the "wrong" thing
    It's a sexual orientation, just like homosexuality is, just like heterosexuality is. And you can't "cure" a sexual orientation. That "gay curing" stuff in the States is laughed at for the whole bible-bashing lunacy of it...

Paedophiles actually find children sexually desirable and they can't help feeling that way - they just should not act on it because sex should be between consenting people.

You're not going to get the answer you're looking for here. Sorry. :)

I am indifferent to paedophiles as long as their sexual orientation does not affect someone else negatively.

Attracted to kids? Fine. They can't help it. Acting on their urges with kids? Nope. That's bold. Kids can't give consent.

Attracted to the same sex? Fine. They can't help it. Acting on their urges? Fine. They're not hurting anyone.

Now I'm going to pre-empt the question about whether I'm ok with paedophile adoption by saying that I think the adoption vetting process would probably eliminate them anyway as they would pose a heightened risk for child molestation. Just as it would eliminate potentially bad homosexual and heterosexual parents.

• Advertisement

Dude, will you ever piss off telling everyone to stop trolling because we're voiceing our opinions that are different to yours.

Why don't you offer something constructive to say rather than harping on "stop trolling" "dont feed the troll" trying to get kudos from the regulars.

Anyway, I agree with MooseJam, not that being gay is a disease, but rather a mental disorder. Socially acceptable to a degree perhaps, but a disorder none the less.

If you read the thread i have offered many opions, so try and read them before you type next time. My posts are full of facts not some sort of childish game that you and the Moose are playing DUDE!! :rolleyes:

Why don't you offer something constructive to say
    NO GAYZ TODAYZ!!!

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

There is so much wrong condensed into this one sentance.

It's amazing, we should preserve this post in amber so that future generations can look upon it and despair.

Throwing out controversial statements without backing them up... smells like trolling to me.

Homosexuality is something that happens between two consenting adults, and conserns no one other that the two of them.

Paedophillia involves a sexual relationship between an adult and a child. Under Irish law, a child is not capeable of making an informed decision and granting consent to this. It is a form of child abuse. This can be either homosexual or hetrosexual in nature.

What's your point?

"OMG, IF WE LET GAYS MARRY WE SHOULD LET PEADOS RAPE KIDS CAUSE THATS LIKE EXACTLY THE SAME!!111!one"

Homosexuality and Paedophillia have nothing to do with one another.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Throwing out controversial statements without backing them up... smells like trolling to me.

Varkov
    Is that constructive enough for you and the regulars? LOL

javaboy wrote: »
    I am indifferent to paedophiles as long as their sexual orientation does not affect someone else negatively.

Personally I'm fine with gay marriage, and gay adoption, there's enough kids out there without a home. I was just making the point that it's not "normal", if there was a cure for it I'm sure many gay's would take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Personally I'm fine with gay marriage, and gay adoption, there's enough kids out there without a home. I was just making the point that it's not "normal", if there was a cure for it I'm sure many gay's would take it.

If it was 'normal' to be homosexual would you take a pill to become a homosexual?

Personally I'm fine with gay marriage, and gay adoption

You have a funny way of showing it.
    I was just making the point that it's not "normal", if there was a cure for it I'm sure many gay's would take it.

Start a poll on the LGB forum and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am no bigot. Chose your words wisely...

You make up "facts" to support bigoted views and insult me when I ask for your sources. You're a bigot. How's that for carefully chosen?

You realise you just admitted to being a crazy person, right? You have a belief, and you don't care what the facts are, you're going to keep that belief no matter what. That's pretty much the definition of insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Why should anyone have a problem with gay marriages? It's just a business of 2 people involved in that relationship and nobody else. I'm finding being against as a little ignorant.

Big YES from me.

Again absolutely no bloody idea what your talking about.

If I took this magical pill I would have not had the last 24 years with the person whom I fell in love with.

A person that is so unique that I couldn’t judge them on just their sex but on their personality, kindness, generosity, love, tenderness and strengths, intelligence, wit, humour and their love towards me.

So how many pills will I have to take to get rid of all that.

Rohypnol I suppose will do the job? Will it?

And you're "NORMAL"? :rolleyes:

If only yer ma took the pill! ;)

Zillah wrote: »
    You realise you just admitted to being a crazy person, right? You have a belief, and you don't care what the facts are, you're going to keep that belief no matter what. That's pretty much the definition of insane.
    DubArk wrote: »
    And you're "NORMAL"? :rolleyes:

If only yer ma took the pill! ;)

Lads, they're not worth the infractions/bannings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

It is not fair why should people who this does not affect one bit get's to vote my future life....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I died a little inside after reading that. :(
    Is your surname Phelps by any chance?

Because, Resi, they find it icky! Is that not enough...?!

I don't think telling someone that what they're saying is crazy is infractable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sorry for this post, I will not lower myself to your level with the insults. I will keep my emotions in line in future.

True True i should do what my father always used to say " Never catch a bouncing ball!"

Back on topic!

Ok, I think many of us are getting bogged down in the adoption issue more than anything.

This is the last I'm going to say on it anyway.

Gay marriage - No, not in the Catholic Church. If they want to get married, join a religion that allows it.

Gay civil union - Yes, they have every right to the same state benafits as a married couple.

Gay adoption - No, I don't think its fair on the children.

They are facts which I get from books, studies and reports from medical professors.

Which books, studies and medical professors support your view that same sex parents are inferior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Gay marriage - No, not in the Catholic Church. If they want to get married, join a religion that allows it.
    Let's say they joined the religion that allows it.. so what? Still cannot get married because some religious groups keep their hand on "secular" law and public organizations that are made to create that law.

edit:

Look at this poll, it clearly shows that people want it, but there's nothing they can do until they finally kick these groups out of politics.

Are you really that stupid? You must be for asking such stupid questions.

Who said they were inferior? Nobody!!! Stop putting words in peoples mouths. Actually, stop posting ****e, will ya?

Do you remember every single fact that you have come accross in your life? Do you know where you read every single piece of information. The answer to that is no. Lucky we have google, eh?

• Advertisement

Which books, studies and medical professors support your view that same sex parents are inferior?

The Holy Bible, Duh. And we all know that's infallible and has never been wrong about anything else.

:rolleyes:

Are you really that stupid? You must be for asking such stupid questions.

Who said they were inferior? Nobody!!! Stop putting words in peoples mouths. Actually, stop posting ****e, will ya?

Do you remember every single fact that you have come accross in your life? Do you know where you read every single piece of information. The answer to that is no. Lucky we have google, eh?

What a great point!

THEN USE IT TO REFRENCE YOUR ARGUMENTS.

Anything you 'read years ago' that is conflicting to other real, refrenced, research, but for some reason has no traces online will be seen by everyone in this thread as having been pulled out of your ass unless you refrence it.

You said:
    Well for a child to have a normal childhood and not be effected mentally then that child should have a parent of both sexes. I am sorry, but having two same sex parents with no influence of the opposite sex, that child may grow up distorted. This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

So yes, you're essentially asserting that same sex parents are inferior to both-sex parents.

If I can't remember where they come from then I'll look them up before spouting them on a public forum. At first you claimed you had gotten that delightful little factoid from "books, studies and medical professors", now you're admitting you have no idea where you got it.

So I suggest you go do your research or just admit you're wrong. The reason you're getting so angry is because you know how silly you're being and it's embarrassing.

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Look at this poll, it clearly shows that people want it, but there's nothing they can do until they finally kick these groups out of politics.

I don't think a poll of boards users would reflect the general public consensus.

I don't think a poll of boards users would reflect the general public consensus.

I agree, the thousands of conservative Catholic Grannies/Mummies are unlikely to be posting on After Hours. Boards is well known for having a large liberal contingent.

I agree 100%. Untill you get your grandmother posting on boards it never will. I don't think I would be too far off the mark if I were to suggest that the age demograph that the typicial boards user would fall into would be one of the demographs with a typicially low voter turn out.

Boards polls are only relevant to what boards users think.

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    I agree 100%. Untill you get your grandmother posting on boards it never will. I don't think I would be too far off the mark if I were to suggest that the age demograph that the typicial boards user would fall into would be one of the demographs with a typicially low voter turn out.

Boards polls are only relevant to what boards users think.

+1. The proof is in Leinster House.

You skipped me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I agree, the thousands of conservative Catholic Grannies/Mummies are unlikely to be posting on After Hours. Boards is well known for having a large liberal contingent.

That and reality has a well documented liberal bias.

You skipped me :(

Don't worry, thelordofcheese quoted your post so everybody's even. :D

You said:

So yes, you're essentially asserting that same sex parents are inferior to both-sex parents.

If I can't remember where they come from then I'll look them up before spouting them on a public forum. At first you claimed you had gotten that delightful little factoid from "books, studies and medical professors", now you're admitting you have no idea where you got it.

So I suggest you go do your research or just admit you're wrong. The reason you're getting so angry is because you know how silly you're being and it's embarrassing.

I never said that they were inferior, I said that the child will grow up distorted. Might have more love, and be happier than in a conventional family but the influences that the 2 gay parents will have on that child is not so good for that childs sexual orientation.

I said I read it from a book, I did, I didn't in any of my sentences say that I don't know where I got it from, I said I do not remember exactly where I got it from, yes a book, but what book I do not remember. I can surely find some links to similar studies, but they won't be the exact readings I have read.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement