Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PD's are kaput

Options
  • 08-11-2008 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

spreading the good news from p.ie which has it the amendment to continue the party failed at 160 to 201 votes.

even des o'malley said there no point, just diminishing returns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Haven't heard the news but it's back into FF then I spose, not that they were ever really that out of FF anyway. Mind you there isn't much to be reabsorbed.

Well that just leaves the greens to be "diminished" by their association with FF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Avns1s wrote: »
    Haven't heard the news but it's back into FF then I spose, not that they were ever really that out of FF anyway. Mind you there isn't much to be reabsorbed.

Well that just leaves the greens to be "diminished" by their association with FF ;)

The 4 in the Oireachtas may go "back" to FF, but there's a whole body of people who are original FG members and even more that were never a member of any other political party.

I don't reckon our grassroots would have Cannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Can't say I'm either suprised or particularily unhappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

So long, Good-bye....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Thanks to be fu(k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

This makes me sad. Given that coalition governments are now the norm, we will have the choice of Labour, The Greens, or Sinn Fein. which really just makes me despair.

This makes me sad. Given that coalition governments are now the norm.....

That part is the problem, not the parties. Why can't Irish people ever make a clear decision collectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

ninty9er wrote: »
    That part is the problem, not the parties. Why can't Irish people ever make a clear decision collectively.

Because a large proportion of them will vote FF regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Cheerio cheerio cheerio.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Cheerio cheerio cheerio.....
    +1000

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They gone? No loss.
    Can we dump "Harness Harney" with them too now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

For a small party they have had a serious impact on Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Looks like the Greens are getting the blame for every unpopular government policy from now then, till they get decimated in the next election :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

heyjude wrote: »
    Looks like the Greens are getting the blame for every unpopular government policy from now then, till they get decimated in the next election :rolleyes:

Well, that is their job. FF didn't bring them in to save the planet.

CSC wrote: »
    For a small party they have had a serious impact on Irish politics.

This is true. Whatever you think about the PDs and wishing them gone.

They are the only party that had implementable "different" ideas from the big 3.

FF/FG and Lab jumped on the low tax bandwagon. At least they gave us that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

When you say low tax I suppose you mean indirect taxes, taxes which impact on the lower paid disproportionately.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Now we need Harney to do the decent thing and stand down as Minister for Health, she no longer has a mandate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

gandalf wrote: »
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Now we need Harney to do the decent thing and stand down as Minister for Health, she no longer has a mandate.

she was voted in by her constituents at the last election plus she was minister for health going into the last election , how has she no mandate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 SwirlsAllAround

irish_bob wrote: »
    she was voted in by her constituents at the last election plus she was minister for health going into the last election , how has she no mandate

Yeah, in practice she does still have a mandate.... but if we were to hold an election tomorrow, or the general public could vote on a no-confidence motion, I would like to think things would be different.

It's very likely that former PDs will launch a new party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Obviously I think the Progressive Democrats were great (liberal party ftw!), and I think that we are all worse off without them.
    When everyone starts running back to hirer taxes, you'll miss us:pac:
    Avns1s wrote: »
    Pretty much no-one of the ordinary members are going to FF.
    Harney will stay an independant, Cannon will go to FG, Grealish may go FF or he may not, and the same with O'Malley.

I mean, jokes over, party is over, surely you realise that the whole PDs = FF was just electoral spin from the opposition, to try and reduce our vote, and force FF to take more of the blame for unpopular policies?
    It was never actually true.

• Advertisement

It's very likely that former PDs will launch a new party.
    The YPDs have a mandate to set up a new liberal party if the main party shuts down.

It was in the same meeting as they voted to kick out Noel Grealish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

irish_bob wrote: »

By your logic, just because someone has been voted in by their constituents they have a national mandate to be a minister. Do you thus invisage 166 ministers?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

The YPDs have a mandate to set up a new liberal party if the main party shuts down.

It was in the same meeting as they voted to kick out Noel Grealish.

So the former YPD's might be setting up an all new national youth liberal party? Or would it just be the YPD's Version 2.0 with the same faces & policies? Could be an interesting prospect....

So the former YPD's might be setting up an all new national youth liberal party? Or would it just be the YPD's Version 2.0 with the same faces & policies? Could be an interesting prospect....
    :eek::eek:

The YPDs tend to be a lot more right wing than their government counterparts.

The PDs served a purpose of setting a new agenda. Once everyone else adopted it the need for the party that brought it evaporated.

Except that agenda was f*cked out the window in the last bufget when they taxed put a levy on the minimum wage. We aren't even cold yet, and everyone is trying to run back to high taxes.

Also, the YPDs support drug legalisation and stuff like that, 99er, so I wouldn't call them raging righties.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

ninty9er wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

The YPDs tend to be a lot more right wing than their government counterparts.

The PDs served a purpose of setting a new agenda. Once everyone else adopted it the need for the party that brought it evaporated.

Well I've never exactly seen eye-to-eye with the YPD's (putting it mildly), which is why I was wondering if this new venture would be just more of the same or if they would have some new blood and perhaps more genuinely liberal policies.

Well I've never exactly seen eye-to-eye with the YPD's (putting it mildly), which is why I was wondering if this new venture would be just more of the same or if they would have some new blood and perhaps more genuinely liberal policies.
    :confused:
    The YPDs have always been fairly liberal, what policies are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

What is to become of the money and assets of the PDs? Are the senior members going to steal and give them to FF & FG?

Dob74 wrote: »
    What is to become of the money and assets of the PDs? Are the senior members going to steal and give them to FF & FG?

It's probably all owed to the banks.

• Advertisement

Dob74 wrote: »
    Don't forget Labour.

Advertisement