Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tornado

• 08-11-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1108/waterford.html
    Waterford houses damaged by 'tornado'
    Saturday, 8 November 2008 17:20

Around two dozen houses have been damaged in Waterford city following what residents are describing as a mini tornado.

The adverse weather conditions hit the Larchville estate shortly before 3.30pm, causing damage to houses and trees

There are no reports of injuries.

There are also reports of localised flooding in many parts of the south-east.

I did notice the wind and rain was very wild around 3:30 but didn't see any cows floating past.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aye, I drove into town in the middle of it. Was pretty bad to drive in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

It didnt wake me up anyway. Funniest thing ive ever heard. Of all the places in ireland, tornado hits larchville and makes the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sully wrote: »
    Aye, I drove into town in the middle of it. Was pretty bad to drive in.

It was even worse to be standing out in. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The weather board are dissing this event.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

I was in Ballinakill at this time, and there was definitely some freaky weather going on.. the tv went out.. and when I looked out the rain was swirling around in the air.. really freaky looking. So when I saw the news it didn't suprise me at all that there was a tornado .. because it had all the signs of one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

mike65 wrote: »
    The weather board are dissing this event.

Mike

Easy to do when they were not in the area at the time.:rolleyes:

Nearest thing i've ever seen to a (mini)tornado TBH.

Scarey.

Things out the back being picked up and flung about.Just glad i was indoors at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tragamin, it's not only unmentionable, we're not showing videos from it either!

:)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Tragamin, it's not only unmentionable, we're not showing videos from it either!

:)

oh i saw the 4 seconds of footage on RTE. inevitably showed 400 11 year olds with peaked caps on rusted bikes around the damaged slates/bonfire rubbish that was shifted today

Edit: thought ya meant larchville was unmentionable...heh. i forgot that i posted that vid :p no bother

argh double post...does boards always go offline at 4am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

argh double post...does boards always go offline at 4am?

Yes, yes it does. Just as I get home from work. Did anyone else notice the sky around the time of the "tornado"? It had been quite dark due to the rain clouds but suddenly got really,really bright again before going even darker than before. The streetlights actually came on in John St - at 3:30 in the afternoon. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

twas pretty bad here in tramore also rain was unreal never seen it as bad and then suddenly it was alright within the space of an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Shamelessly robbed from another forum

Larchville was hit badly by a tornado Saturday. Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly muttering ' Jeeessuuuuuuss' 'well buttie' and 'fuuuucksake'.
    The tornado decimated the area causing approximately 30 euro worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementos from Benidorm and Santa Ponsa were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt cars were destroyed. Many locals were woken well before their welfare cheque arrived.
    WLR News reported that hundreds of resident were confused and bewildered, still trying to come to the terms with the fact that the damage had not been caused by illegal means.
    One resident: Alexis Crystal Duffy, a 15 year old mother of 5 said 'It was such a F***in shock, me little wan Chardonnay Mercedes cem runnin inta me bedruem cryin, me youngisst two Tyler Morgan an Megan Brooklyn slept tru ih all. But I was bleeedin shaken watchin F***in Rikki Laaake in da mornin'
    Apparently though, looting, muggings, teenage sex and incidental crime did carry on as usual.
    The Irish Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Strongbow, Dutch Gold, Frozen Pizzas, and John Player Blue to the area to help stricken locals.
    Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which include Welfare Books and Jewellery including thousands of Sovereign Rings, many large Medallions and Hash Leaf Shaped earrings from Elizabeth Duke at Argos also Fine Bone China from Tommy's Wonderland of Value.
    This Appeal is to raise money for food and clothing Parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster. Clothing is most sought after, items most needed include:
    Fake Burberry or Kappa Baseball Caps
    Hoodies (any type)
    Tommy Hilfiger Tracks Suits (his and hers)
    Nike/Adidas Shell Suits (female)
    White Donnay Sports Socks Rockport Boots (and any other items usually sold in TK Maxx)
    Anything from Magic or Unique

Food Parcels may be harder to come by as refrigeration may be a problem, but are needed all the same.
    Required Foodstuffs include:
    McCains Oven Chips
    Heinz Baked Beans
    Goodfellas Frozen Pizzas
    Coke/Fanta
    Strongbow Cider
    Smirnoff Ice
    John Player Blue 15s

And Remember That Your Cash Contribution Also Counts!!!
    Just 22c buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms and Bookies slips
    Just 5 euro buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9
    Only 6 euro will pay for a packet of 20 Major to calm the nerves of those affected.

Thank You Very Much for You’re Help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

With Kev's post there I feel safe to say!

"OH SH*T NOT LARCHVILLE"

:p I kid I kid

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

KevIRL wrote: »
    Shamelessly robbed from another forum

Larchville was hit badly by a tornado Saturday. Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly muttering ' Jeeessuuuuuuss' 'well buttie' and 'fuuuucksake'.
    The tornado decimated the area causing approximately 30 euro worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementos from Benidorm and Santa Ponsa were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt cars were destroyed. Many locals were woken well before their welfare cheque arrived.
    WLR News reported that hundreds of resident were confused and bewildered, still trying to come to the terms with the fact that the damage had not been caused by illegal means.
    One resident: Alexis Crystal Duffy, a 15 year old mother of 5 said 'It was such a F***in shock, me little wan Chardonnay Mercedes cem runnin inta me bedruem cryin, me youngisst two Tyler Morgan an Megan Brooklyn slept tru ih all. But I was bleeedin shaken watchin F***in Rikki Laaake in da mornin'
    Apparently though, looting, muggings, teenage sex and incidental crime did carry on as usual.
    The Irish Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Strongbow, Dutch Gold, Frozen Pizzas, and John Player Blue to the area to help stricken locals.
    Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which include Welfare Books and Jewellery including thousands of Sovereign Rings, many large Medallions and Hash Leaf Shaped earrings from Elizabeth Duke at Argos also Fine Bone China from Tommy's Wonderland of Value.
    This Appeal is to raise money for food and clothing Parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster. Clothing is most sought after, items most needed include:
    Fake Burberry or Kappa Baseball Caps
    Hoodies (any type)
    Tommy Hilfiger Tracks Suits (his and hers)
    Nike/Adidas Shell Suits (female)
    White Donnay Sports Socks Rockport Boots (and any other items usually sold in TK Maxx)
    Anything from Magic or Unique

Food Parcels may be harder to come by as refrigeration may be a problem, but are needed all the same.
    Required Foodstuffs include:
    McCains Oven Chips
    Heinz Baked Beans
    Goodfellas Frozen Pizzas
    Coke/Fanta
    Strongbow Cider
    Smirnoff Ice
    John Player Blue 15s

And Remember That Your Cash Contribution Also Counts!!!
    Just 22c buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms and Bookies slips
    Just 5 euro buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9
    Only 6 euro will pay for a packet of 20 Major to calm the nerves of those affected.

Thank You Very Much for You’re Help.
    must be nice sitting way up there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

next wrote: »
    must be nice sitting way up there

its very clearly a joke, relax,
    I believe there;'s another version of it for Poleberry and an earthquake

I know it a joke but its nasty, no matter where the location is someone lives there and must feel hurt by it
    I'm well relaxed thanks to a bottle of wine

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seems some people are upset about this topic.

Its a joke folks - nothing more. There are a good few of these doing the rounds over the year including the polbery one.

People should not be offended by these type of comments. They are meant as a joke and not an insult towards anybody. They are not abusing anybody either.

See the humour and move on :)

I can never see the humour at someone else's expense but thats just me, I'm abit dry that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

See the humour and move on :)

Yea exactly! It was a tornado in larchville of all places like cmon! No one was hurt or killed so joke are welcome tbh

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

I can never see the humour at someone else's expense but thats just me, I'm abit dry that way

Not at anybody in particular - plenty of jokes on estates and even countys floating about. *shrrugs* :)

• Advertisement

Not at anybody :)

no just a whole community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

I first saw that one after the Finglas riots earlier this year. People sem to be just adapting it to their own needs. Not very imaginative I suppose.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

no just a whole community

so what. I thought it was funny and described a sector of that community. The same jokes could be made about a number of areas in this city and about other cities and towns around the country, they just haven't had a hurricane though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

really was their that much damage? does anyone have any pics of the damage?

Advertisement