Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Splashing Pedestrians by Driving into Puddles

Options
  • 08-11-2008 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone here likes to drive into puddles on purpose to get pedestrians on the side of the road.

I personally think its the sign of an utter ****. Wouldn't do it myself. If I did get splashed by a driver, the top of my umbrella would go through his windscreen if he had to stop at lights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

if someone does it to you, get the reg number and report it to the gardai. They can be charged for driving without reasonable care and consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

pvt.joker wrote: »
    iThey can be charged for driving without reasonable care and consideration.
    That would be only if the splashing is unintentional/accidental.

Doing it on purpose is an assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I absolutely soaked a guy once. It was completely by accident, the puddle was right after a corner on a narrow road. As I looked at him in the mirror with him looking really pissed off, I laughed my ass off. I wouldn't do it on purpose though, shìtty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

pvt.joker wrote: »
    if someone does it to you, get the reg number and report it to the gardai. They can be charged for driving without reasonable care and consideration.

I can't see how a charge would be brought (proof?). The roads are waterlogged at the moment. If you walk you run the risk of getting wet. I have been at both sides of the fence here, and unless someone does it maliciously I suggest you go home and have a shower.

If they do it maliciously, and a garda observes it, then maybe it might be followed up.

That would be only if the splashing is unintentional/accidental.

Doing it on purpose is an assault.

If it is accidental, then it is "an accident". People don't get charged for offences if they do something accidentally.

Assault? Interesting theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote: »
    If it is accidental, then it is "an accident". People don't get charged for offences if they do something accidentally.
    I thought you were studying law, maidhc?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What about Act of God - like, the guy who put the puddle there in the first place ?? How do we get his ass into the courtroom ?? :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

People don't get charged for offences if they do something accidentally.

I think you might want to check that one.
    It can be taken into account but for sure you can get charged for something even if it's an accident.

My own little story :)
    Working as a hotel barman for a graduation (debs?) and as was the custom we didn't serve spirits at all. Oh the abuse we took the night from drunken students. Was called every name under the sun and then more.

Twas a wet night and as I was driving home there were 10-12 lads and girls in their tuxedo's and gowns by the main hotel gate. You bet I splashed them all :o
    I'm hoping they rented their outfits as they were certainly ruined that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

micmclo wrote: »
    It can be taken into account but for sure you can get charged for something even if it's an accident.

Working as a hotel barman for a graduation (debs?) and as was the custom we didn't serve spirits at all. Oh the abuse we took the night from drunken students. Was called every name under the sun and then more.

Twas a wet night and as I was driving home there were 10-12 lads and girls in their tuxedo's and gowns by the main hotel gate. You bet I splashed them all :o
    Bitter?

Anan1 wrote: »
    I thought you were studying law, maidhc?:D

Sorry, i should rephrase. The gardai will generally not prosecute someone for "an accident" if you not at fault for anything in particular. e.g. if it is something which happened which couldn't be helped.

Obviously if you accidentally run a red light, do 90mph, or kill somone the result is different.

You are accusing me of being a law student! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Put up a poll OP, and I'd never dream of soaking a pedestrian. ;)

If it is accidental, then it is "an accident". People don't get charged for offences if they do something accidentally.... Assault? Interesting theory.
    Accidents happen when people don't exercise proper care or consideration.

Proving deliberate intent would be difficult, it's easier to prove behaviour was negligent or lacking in care or consideration.

Accidents happen when people don't exercise proper care or consideration.

Proving deliberate intent would be difficult, it's easier to prove behaviour was negligent or lacking in care or consideration.

If we take the puddle:

A car can be driving down the road in the dark. Anther car is coming against the car, the light is reflecting on the road, the driver doesn't see the puddle until he is reasonably close. He cannot avoid the puddle, he does not see fit to risk doing an emergency brake so he keeps going (it is only a puddle ffs). Unfortunately a person is walking on the footpath.

Who is wrong?

Likewise in cases where a person pulls out of a blind junction and an oncoming car crashes into them. It is very very rare they would be prosecuted, as the whole thing was "an accident".

We know what you mean, maidhc. But I wouldn't go around repeating this
    People don't get charged for offences if they do something accidentally.
    too often if I were you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

micmclo wrote: »

noice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think I've gotten trenchfoot from the walk home.

Bus drivers, I hate you.

It is very very rare they would be prosecuted, as the whole thing was "an accident".
    In the situaltions you describe, the question is not whether or not it's an accident, but whether or not a person was exercising 'reasonable care'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Saw a guy getting absolutely soaked tonight while he was standing at a pedestrian crossing, wasn't the drivers fault though. The puddle was huge and the pedestrian should have been aware of it.

If I had to drown some guy walking or swerve to avoid a puddle in wet conditions I'm going straight throught the puddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I was the victim of a drive by ,feckers got me in the face with a supersoaker.

I started to run after them,don't know why,id never have caught them.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My mother got soaked by a motorist a good few years ago. The lady who did it was mortified - she stopped and gave my mother a lift home and told her to call her and let her know how much the dry cleaning was and she'd gladly pay for it. My mother never called her as she reckoned she'd been honest and it was accidental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drive into puddles often and on purpose mainly because I dont have a choice. I will normally slow to a snail pace to pass through the puddle real slow anyway.

Pedestrians normally run past puddles or use their umbrella as shields most of the time.

Doing it as a form of entertainment is wrong but heck some people are bitter and then again some people are in a world of their own and pay little attention to other people.

I cant remember ever doing it on purpose so I probably havent. I was once hit by a tomato whilst cycling. I grabbed in as it ran down my face and hurled it back at the car. Took the reg and reported it. Never heard anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

galwaytt wrote: »
    What about Act of God - like, the guy who put the puddle there in the first place ?? How do we get his ass into the courtroom ?? :D:D

The man who sued God. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

if anybody soaked somebody accidently would ye not stop and apologise. maybe offer the person a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hagar wrote: »

That was only because god is omnipresent. Nobody is omnipresent except for Gatso vans.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    If I had to drown some guy walking or swerve to avoid a puddle in wet conditions I'm going straight throught the puddle.
    No, you stop and wait until it's possible to traverse the puddle without injuring anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No, you stop and wait until it's possible to traverse the puddle without injuring anyone.

hahahahahahahaha

Not least because you can't see what's under the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I remember an add from before, went like this.

people waiting at a bus stop, raining, large puddle in front of them, boy racer comes heading for the puddle to splash the people.......sinks into the puddle and his fluffy dice rise to the surface.

To be honest, i dont do it justice..........lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sherifu wrote: »
    I absolutely soaked a guy once. It was completely by accident
    The roads are waterlogged at the moment. If you walk you run the risk of getting wet
    A car can be driving down the road in the dark. Anther car is coming against the car, the light is reflecting on the road, the driver doesn't see the puddle until he is reasonably close. He cannot avoid the puddle
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    he was standing at a pedestrian crossing, wasn't the drivers fault though
    Just bear in mind folks that, during a driving test, an examiner will take a very dim view of anyone who splashes a pedestrian.
    I drive into puddles often and on purpose mainly because I dont have a choice
    You don't have a choice!!! :eek:

Are you not in control of the vehicle you are driving and don't you adapt you driving to suit the prevailing conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The driving instuctor has arrived. Scatter! :pac:

Advertisement