Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Splashing Pedestrians by Driving into Puddles

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In formula one they call it a 'splash and dash'...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A car in front of me today sent a torrent of water straight for a pedestrian today which just missed him. I drove around the puddle, my good deed for the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Horrible, horrible thing to do. If it was done to me and I saw the car stopped at lights I'd have no problems getting my own back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

A car in front of me today sent a torrent of water straight for a pedestrian today which just missed him. I drove around the puddle, my good deed for the day. :)
    It's sad to think that not injuring someone is considered to be a good deed.

What you did was good driving, something that is expected from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It's sad to think that someone being splashed with a little bit of water is considered as injuring them.

I don 't know why you bother posting in the motoring section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Ok, go for it. How is splashing someone with water injuring them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

ClioV6 wrote: »
    It may not be injuring them, but it is assault, and as such is a criminal offense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ClioV6 wrote: »
    injure

verb 1 do physical harm to; wound. 2 offend or hurt.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/injure?view=uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

kbannon wrote: »
    injure

verb 1 do physical harm to; wound. 2 offend or hurt.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/injure?view=uk

and?

We assume we are not using context "2" here. Is wetting someone physcial harm? I don't know....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sean_K wrote: »
    It may not be injuring them, but it is assault, and as such is a criminal offense.

Assault. Jesus Effin Christ. :eek:

1. a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition.
    2. Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner.

If driving through a puddle is assault then you probably think brushing a womans arm in a crowded bar is Rape!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would have put it under #2!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sean_K wrote: »

Is it? I don't know anything about criminal law, but my vague recollection was that this is governed by the non fatal offences against the person act which says:
    2. —(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—
    [GA]

( a ) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or
    [GA]

( b ) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,
    [GA]

without the consent of the other.
    [GA]

(2) In subsection (1)(a), "force" includes—
    [GA]

( a ) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and
    [GA]

( b ) application of matter in solid liquid or gaseous form.
    [GA]

(3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I remember listening to the radio a few years back, and this was the topic.

One lad rang in to say he had never done it before, thought had never even crossed his mind. So, one day he's driving home in the pissing rain, and he comes to a puddle, with a fella just walking past on the path. So, he drives straight through the puddle and drowns me man. Only to look in the mirror and realise he was down syndrome. Out of complete shock and guilt and what he had done, he stopped, picked him up and brought him home, to have to explain to his mother what he had done.

Lets just say he didn't get a very nice reception, and i'm sure he'll never do it again lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was walking along minding my own business years ago in Ballsbridge, when a car swerved in beside me into a huge puddle and soaked me. There was no other cars on the road at the time, and this pr*ck went out of his way to splash me.

I happened to be carrying a carton of milk and instinctively threw it at the car. It exploded all over the back window with a huge thud. The car stopped for a second, and then drove off.

I only wish I was carrying something heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Ha ha, brilliant, well done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

phutyle wrote: »
    I was walking along minding my own business years ago in Ballsbridge, when a car swerved in beside me into a huge puddle and soaked me. There was no other cars on the road at the time, and this pr*ck went out of his way to splash me.

I happened to be carrying a carton of milk and instinctively threw it at the car. It exploded all over the back window with a huge thud. The car stopped for a second, and then drove off.

I only wish I was carrying something heavier.

We used to carry stones on the way home from school to do the same..anytime someone came along it just took a stone in the hand throwing it up and down to make sure they didn't try it.

fairly funny.

Don't think I've ever done it to anyone myself though..but I would do it to a few pr*cks if I seen them walking.

Advertisement