Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten not using litter box

Options
  • 08-11-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Ive recently took in a stray kitten that was found on a friends farm, for the life of me tho i cant get him to use his litter box consistantly, he'll use it maybe for the first half of the day then stop and use the carpet and furniture for the rest, to start with i was cleaning out his tray as he was using it but have now started changing it totally every few hours.

Im using a tesco own brand clumping litter so could that be the issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

tbh there really is no need to change it that often, most cat litter has deoderising properties to mask the smell, though it may help the kitten that his/her scent is there. each time they go outside the litter tray pick them up and place them in the tray for a few minutes. give it time, remember they are only a baby!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Hi, i would chance ur cat litter, clumping litter is not advisable to use for kittens as it can kill them. They can nibble at the litter and it them clumps in their bellies which then causes blockages.
    BTW how old is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

If the kitten is really young they dont need too much space. Therefore if possible put them in a space that they have enough room to play etc but not too much to wander. In that space put the litter as well. Therefore when nature calls they will know exactly where to go! We adopted a 2 day old kitten and built a long pen out of light wood for her. She had plenty of room to move etc and we put the litter tray in as well. She took to it like a duck to water. She took to it so well that when she got older and went outside, she still came back in to do her business!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Original_Sin

Thanks for the replies, ive been thinking of getting him like a rabbit pen or something similar just to keep him contained whilst im at work, the one ive seen is a good size and it has the height to get his climbing frame thingy in too so he's gonna have plenty space to play and to have his toilet in with him,

Age wise, we think he's around 4-5weeks old, plus he might have a sibling as there is another kitten of similar size in the area where he was found, so im probs gonna re-home that one too to keep this one company

Advertisement