Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective Change Process and what ones to choose

Options
  • 08-11-2008 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey everyone, I'm a first year wanting to change one of my electives. What's the procedure? And can anyone recommend a really really really easy one?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Probably too late to change your semester 1 electives.

Intro to Quantitativ Economics is run in both semesters and is apparently one of the easiest things out there.

There's also Study Skills which is a Level 0 module.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Same thing I always say in these threads - any level 1 language module. I can vouch for Japanese level 1 being piss easy and a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have an alternative view, which has served me well so far, look for something interesting that's "in-programme". That should let you avoid potential scheduling clashes when it comes to lectures and exams. (One in-programme Engineering elective I took last year is paying off this year, because there's a major overlap in the material.) If you're on one of those general Arts degrees, however, I suspect that this might not help much (because of the number and diversity of Arts courses).

As for the process, here's what the Registration page says:
    Online module registration for all students is now closed.

The online registration `change of mind´ window for Semester 2 modules will open on Monday, 17 November 2008 and close at 5.00 pm on Friday, 6 February 2009.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Ya Quantitative economics is about as easy as they come.

Sounds harder than it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Henry Mcloughlins, Algorithmic Problem Solving. I don't think I could overstate how enjoyable and easy this class is.

This one's a keeper :pac:

• Advertisement

dyl10 wrote: »
    Henry Mcloughlins, Algorithmic Problem Solving. I don't think I could overstate how enjoyable and easy this class is.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

blackboard says theres a cost for changing your semester 2 elective...... is this a mistake. my friend changed his elective and it didnt charge him. so it must be free i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dyl10 wrote: »

Henry's lovely too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Is that course just easy because you guys are good at maths though? What sort of puzzles are they?

Did ordinary maths in the leaving but wouldn't mind a few brain teasers :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

Has the 3rd assignment been given out yet for that problem solving module?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Just to add to people recomending Henrys course. Do the assignments and you will get 100% in the exam. The exam is the assignments with different names.

Unfortuantely in his third year module he stopped doing the assignments being worth a huge amount of the marks :(

Intro to programming I/II are pretty much a gaurenteed A for anyone who just goes to the labs every week and does nothing else. You don't need to know anything about computers/programming/maths/anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Global Justice: Towards an Egalitarian Global Order (EQUL10020)

Anyone do this course before? Easy/intresting?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Is there any possible way I can get into Perspectives on Film II (FS10020)?:confused: I really enjoyed it for the first semester but I have made the terrible mistake of putting in Literary Genre instead:(.If there is ANYONE willing to drop this module,please tell me so I can get in.:rolleyes: I just hope someone does because it is something I have found of considerable interest unlike my other modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That algorithmic Problem Solving module...anyone wanna throw up some examples of the problems? It might then tempt me to do the module.

You do stuff like the towers of Hanoi, a generalisation of the problem of the farmer with a goat, a cabbage and a fox and Knights & Knaves puzzles.

PM me your email address and I'll email you a pdf of the textbook which has most of the problems in it (the author, Roland Backhouse, distributes it freely, but the copy on his website is in PostScript format).

The module doesn't cover the harder parts of the textbook.

btw if anyone else wants the textbook, pm me.

Here's a link to the postscript format version on Backhouse's site:
    http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~rcb/G51APS/aps.ps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

i was thinkin of doin this. heard so much bout the puzzles an what not... sounds good..but i did ordinary maths for the leavin... did really well in it .. but do you need honours maths for it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

according to the website its only possible to do the Problem Solving module in Semester 1

Advertisement