Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407 1.6 HDI or Seat Cordoba 1.4 TDI?

Options
  • 08-11-2008 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey,

I am thinking to buy a car soon and it has to be super economic as I am doing 140km a day. I am down to 2 models;

Peugeot 407 1.6 HDI
    Seat Cordoba 1.4 TDI

I'd like to hear your opinion on these cars, I was talking to couple of machanics that I know and so far the Cordoba is winning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

407 all the way. Doing big mileage, comfort has to be a big factor too.

Thing is though, they are is different classes altogether. The cordoba is a smaller car(more comparable to the 307).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If doing 140km per day then comfort and refinement should be just as important to you as economy imo.

The 407 is a very comfortable car to drive and be in. Would be alot more relaxed to drive than the smaller Cordoba which is basically in two classes below the likes of the 407. I have the same 1.6 HDi engine in my Focus and it is a grand engine but I would imagine it might struggle a bit under the weight of the 407.

Either way though I would rather drive 140km per day in the 407 and take the hit on fuel economy than a Cordoba everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Brand new?

What about a Kia Ceed, great warranty.
    7 years or 100,000 miles.

The 7 year warranty includes:

3 years/ unlimited mileage full manufacturers warranty
    3 -5 years / 100,000 miles full manufacturers warranty
    5 - 7 years / 100,000 miles powertrain warranty
    10 years / unlimited mileage manufacturers anti-perforation warranty* 12 mths roadside assistance covering the UK and mainland Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

A mate of mine has the 407 with the 1.6hdi and it's great, plenty of power.
    He's got 75k up on it with no problems at all. As bazz26 said it's very comfortable to travel in. I've also got that engine in my mazda3 and I'm happy out with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

407 is the car for you.
    Drive them both and you will see for yourself.
    There is really no comparison between the two. As said before, different class of car.

• Advertisement

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Kia Ceed, great warranty.

This is destined to be the new Octavia/Giant boot combo.

Still not going to touch the 407 for comfort or space. I'd at least stick to the same class as the 407 (mondeo, avensis, laguna, c5, Mazda 6 etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

140km a day? 407, every time.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thing is though, they are is different classes altogether. The cordoba is a smaller car(more comparable to the 307).

Cordoba is actually an Ibiza with a boot which is based on the Polo so it is actually more comparable with the 207.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cordoba is actually an Ibiza with a boot which is based on the Polo so it is actually more comparable with the 207.

Yeah actually, missed a class there. My bad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭TheGreatest

Thanks for all your inputs guys,

My main point would be the juice consumption in this purchase otherwise I also have a 2.0L Petrol SantaFe that has drinking problem worst than Sean McGowan but most confortable car that I ever drove.

Reason why I compare the two different car was the 407 looks beautiful, 110bhp with 1.6 HDI not too bad but in the other hand Cordoba is 1.4 TDI which might save extra €€€ on diesel and built by VW, I know it won't stand-out in crowd but it is economic.

One think I'd like to know from the owners of 407, is there any common issues with this car?

Thanks again for all your comments lads.

• Advertisement

How much you gonna spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

i assume since both car's are so different, you're looking at them 2nd hand? there was a few recall's on the 407 so just make sure they're done. some small electrical things with it but nothing too major. (used to sell them). try to get one with a service history and get the ST spec if you can cos it's got nearly everything. alloys, full electrics, auto lights, mirror, wiper etc. SR still comes with A/C, front fogs and loads of airbags though. Wouldn't be too gone on the cordoba, 1.4 TDi is underpowered even in a small car like that, wouldn't have the comfort or toys of the Pug and lookswise isn't a patch either.
    Just my 2 cents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭TheGreatest

How much you gonna spend?

I am on the market for a second hand with around €12k. I'd be happy with 55-60mpg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

peugeot 407 would get my vote. you need a car you love not a boring one. 407 is a stunning car and the hdi is bullat proof.

Edit: Scratch that the 407's are a steal at those prices.

No decision OP go for a 407

You could always spend much less on the car and get something like this 1.8 04 Focus.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1185293

You would be getting a good car for only €4500 and the 1.8tdi would be fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not to derail you but have you considered

Alfa 156
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/1.9-16V-/200840190267097/advert

A3
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A3/200845190800365/advert

C5 - comfort on wheels for a budget
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C5/Exclusiv/200841190307229/advert

Getting hung up on 1.6/1.4/2.0 isn't going to save you a whole lot on fuel consumption if the 1.4 is in a massive car and the 1.6 is in a big enough machine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

My main point would be the juice consumption in this purchase otherwise I also have a 2.0L Petrol SantaFe that has drinking problem worst than Sean McGowan but most confortable car that I ever drove.

Reason why I compare the two different car was the 407 looks beautiful, 110bhp with 1.6 HDI not too bad but in the other hand Cordoba is 1.4 TDI which might save extra €€€ on diesel and built by VW, I know it won't stand-out in crowd but it is economic.

One think I'd like to know from the owners of 407, is there any common issues with this car?

What are the mpg and known issues on the Cordoba? Isn't it a comparison exercice?
    Also, I would assume a 207 is better on mpg.

Another point is that if you are driving long distances everyday, I would be concerned about safety. The 407 is 5 stars NCAPed. I don't see the Cordoba....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Consider the Citroen C4 1.6HDi too. Between the Cordoba and 407 for size, 60mpg and comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have the Cordoba 1.4TDi sports ( 80BHP) I think the ordinary one has 70bhp and from what I hear is noticably down on power.
    Anyhow
    Back on topic
    Seating is dead comfortable ( I suffer with back issues ) so can vouch for driving comfort.

€104 road tax per anum ( 08 on only though )
    I dont spare the right foot and get mimimum of 700k to the tank ( 45 litres I think )
    This could be stretched to 800 and more on you long runs and being gentle on the throttle.

You say you will spend 12k ?
    Why not visit the dealers and get a demo one?
    you would benefit from cheap tax as well then along with remaining warranty ?
    I would reccomend one to anybody :cool:

• Advertisement

I am on the market for a second hand with around €12k. I'd be happy with 55-60mpg.

Then get yourself one of these:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-TDCI/200840190252103/advert

55mpg is easily achievable and it uses the same HDi engine as the 407.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Then get yourself one of these:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-TDCI/200840190252103/advert

55mpg is easily achievable and it uses the same HDi engine as the 407.

I am sure if he hagled with a dealer he would get a 08 \cordoba for that money
    Cheaper tax
    warranty
    ;)

Almost €17k for a new Cordoba that is the same car as it was in 2002...you have GOT to be kidding me.
    It is to Seat what the Jetta and Vento were to Volkswagen and what the Orion was to Ford.

In other words a heap of useless. It may be a nice dawdling car for around the town. But for 700km a week:confused::confused:

I hate to be going all E92:D:D but:

60-100kmh 13.6 seconds:eek::eek::eek: Imagine trying to overtake in this thing. You'd be taking your life in your hands.

A respectable claimed top speed of 177, though testing it could be dicey.

It's a city car with a boot

The C5 would be my own choice with that level of mileage. about 46 MPG.
    It'll do 60-100kmh in 7.8 seconds in automatic guise, slower than a manual can.

Where do you get those performance figures ninty9er?

Any site out that has figures for most cars?

Where do you get those performance figures ninty9er?

Any site out that has figures for most cars?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/

ninty9er wrote: »
    Almost €17k for a new Cordoba that is the same car as it was in 2002...you have GOT to be kidding me.

In other words a heap of useless. It may be a nice dawdling car for around the town. But for 700km a week:confused::confused:

I hate to be going all E92:D:D but:

60-100kmh 13.6 seconds:eek::eek::eek: Imagine trying to overtake in this thing. You'd be taking your life in your hands.

A respectable claimed top speed of 177, though testing it could be dicey.

It's a city car with a boot

The C5 would be my own choice with that level of mileage. about 46 MPG.
    It'll do 60-100kmh in 7.8 seconds in automatic guise, slower than a manual can.

Overtaking is not a problem unless you are trying to pass something doing 100+MPH :rolleyes:

I dont think race pace came into the convo as the OP was more interested in economy.

Forget about you "FACT" figures. Have you driven one??

Dont knock it till you do.
    My previous car was a '02Mondeo 1.8 Zetec (125bhp)
    and at lower speed for overtaking the cordoba beats it hands down

No problem at 177 either.. ( Trust me )
    Either my clock is wrong or those figures are wrong as my one read a nice bit more than that :P

I dont think a Crappie french Citreon was considered either.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I have bought a 04 407 1.6 hdi last Feb with 58 k (imported from u.k.)
    I have now covered 68k and all i put into it was a lower balljoint(bearing)
    Love the car,I get between 620-650 miles to a full tank of diesel it has a 65 litre tank,there is plenty of power under the bonnet for a 1.6.
    It's the S.E. spec (u.k.) or in ireland the same as ST model.
    so it's got all the kit.
    A friend of mine imported a 05 407 1.6 hdi with 33 k (fpsh) from u.k. and has it cleared for 9,500 euro, so there is good value in the second hand market.
    The only faults that are commen with the 407's (1.6 hdi's)
    (1)Front balljoints.
    (2) Turbo's can fail (oil quailty and oil changes are critical but that goes for all modern diesels)
    (3) D.M.F (dual mass flywheels) can fail but these are in all modern diesels and are know to fail in the new passats and audi A4's aswell.
    I have also got a 406 T.D which has covered over 200k and is goin like a clock so mileage does not worry me.
    Every car has it's problems and if we where to look at all the probs that they have we would'nt buy any car (so it would be on your bike)
    I'd say take a 407 for a test drive as the say "The drive of your life"
    Hope it helps...
    Row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

The reason I'd advise against the cordoba is , it's built by VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

groupb wrote: »
    The reason I'd advise against the cordoba is , it's built by VW.

I like the number of posts you have posted "407 posts at this time" is that an omen.
    Row.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    No problem at 177 either.. ( Trust me )
    Either my clock is wrong or those figures are wrong as my one read a nice bit more than that :P
    I'd say the clock is wrong. I struggle out at around 165 and that's with 99bhp in front of me. Either you've got 2 engines or the imagination fairy has sprinkled magic performance enhancing fuels in your tank.;)
    vectra wrote: »
    I dont think a Crappie french Citreon was considered either.:rolleyes:
    See 407 option and see 407 based on same PSA platform as C5 except the 407 doesn't have the nice comfy suspension system:rolleyes:

Advertisement