Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 1mb Problem

Options
  • 08-11-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

ok guys i have a problem i am paying for 1mb broadband and i am getting these speeds

Downloadspeed= 175kbps
    Uploadspeed = 79kbps
    and ping = 397ms

yes i am going to get another broadband company as im sick of EIRCOM as they are terrible and ignorant when phoned.

what good companies are there out there reliable ones

i live in the arse end of no where so its hard for me to get anything.

i play counter strike source and cant continue to do so untill i get another broadband or Eircom fixs there little problem (big problem)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Log in2 your router and check the line stats and post them here. Where exactly are You and how far are You from Your exchange?

You do know that Eircom own the phone lines and that if You change to another provider for Dsl that You'll still have to wait for Eircon to fix the problem? Other Dsl providers like BT, Perlico, Vodafone, Digiweb just resell Eircon, (there are exceptions to this in LLU area's but your exchange name is needed to determine if LLU is available)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Log in2 your router and check the line stats and post them here. Where exactly are You and how far are You from Your exchange?

You do know that Eircom own the phone lines and that if You change to another provider for Dsl that You'll still have to wait for Eircon to fix the problem? Other Dsl providers like BT, Perlico, Vodafone, Digiweb just resell Eircon, (there are exceptions to this in LLU area's but your exchange name is needed to determine if LLU is available)

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have the same prob for the last 3 days.
    I have 3mb BB but im only getting D/L 142kps U/L 172kps Ping 382.

What line stats would you need from the router page ??????

Log in2 your router on 192.168.1.254, click to enter expert mode-> statistics-> dsl, paste results here or use this dsl checker to check the status of your line.

Troubleshooter here

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 18.50 15.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.00 7.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

Is this what you needed ?????????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 18.50 15.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

Is this what you needed ?????????
    Your modem is synced up with the exchange correctly.

Try downloading this file and see what speed it averages out at.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with your line, maybe its an Eircom problem

It wouls take 11 hours & 9 mis to download that file.

Averaged out at 18.9KB/sec

Its been like this for the last 3 days.

Actually my own connection has been crappy lately, gets very slow in the evenings, like its over-contended, just now i'm only getting this on upto 7.6 Mbit which used never go below 2-3 a few weeks ago.
    352670658.png

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Actually my own connection has been crappy lately, gets very slow in the evenings, like its over-contended, just now i'm only getting this on upto 7.6 Mbit which used never go below 2-3 a few weeks ago.
    352670658.png

I think ill turn the router off now for the night and see what its like in the morning. If its still bad i guess il be ringing Eircom on monday morning. Thanks for the help lads. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Just looking on this thread i am in Kinnegad and having exactly the same issues .

It is a 3 mb eircom line so maybe it is an exchange problem

• Advertisement

andyeire wrote: »
    Just looking on this thread i am in Kinnegad and having exactly the same issues .

It is a 3 mb eircom line so maybe it is an exchange problem

kinnegad myself. just turned the router back on, I was off all night. Speed still terrible. Ill ring eircom tomorrow and post info back.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Kinnegad here aswell, my speed is an absolute joke and has been since the upgrade

I rang Eircom earlier today and explained the problem. He asked me to do a speed test on www.eircom.net/speedtest which resulted in a d/l speed of 142kbp/s. I asked if any work was been carried out on the local exchange but he said no. He then asked if I would do the speed test again but not with the wireless router, he wanted me to unplug the cable from the wall that goes to the filter that connects to the wireless router and the house phone. So I carried out his instructions to the full and guess what, When I unplugged the cable I lost the phone connection. I hadn't got the patience or heart to ring back. Guess ill be chancing another call again tomorrow, Fingers crossed:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm having the same problems in Sligo. I'm on the 3Mb package but only getting about 500/600Kb on speedtest. Rapidshare gives me about 60KBps download.

I have an Imagine 1 mb connection in a business in Kinnegad and a 3 mb connection at home (in Kinnegad aswell )And both have crap speeds at the mo.

I know of a couple of other people around here having the same trouble.

OK, Ive just done a speedtest and to my amazement im getting a d/l 2644kb/s
    u/l 157kb/s & ping 83ms. Now i have done nothing to fix the prob. Just hope it stays like this. What about the rest of the posters from Kinnegad area.

Tried earlier on and got similar results as joe but the ping was 1278ms.

Tried now and am getting about 1600 on speed and 981ms on ping .

How come my ping is so high (is that good or bad) sorry complete novice on this stuff.

I am only about 400 mtrs from exchange my son uses it for xbox and he says its not great for that.

No expert myself but as far as I know the lower the ping the better.

I spoke too soon speed stats now are

d/l 1395kb/s
    u/l 289 kb/s
    ping 110ms

:confused::mad::(:eek:confused::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

For those in Kinnegad, after 3 weeks of nonstop phone calls to eircom I think Im getting somewhere.

For the first time ever I am getting d/l 5550kps u/l 450 and a ping of 107.

The ping still makes online gaming a bit shhite, will be ringing about this tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

Ok as i promised i got the list so :

Compare this to the diagnostics page on your router and DIY.

1st one "attenuation" of the line, measures how much the signal has degraded between the exchange and the modem. The lower the dB better.
    <20 dB Excellent
    20-30dB very good
    30dB-40dB good
    40dB-50dB not so good
    50dB-60dB poor ( intermittent signal sometimes )
    > 60dB BAD ( connectivity problems ).

2nd one "noise margin" difference between ADSL signal and background noise. Higher is better.

<6 dB BAD
    7dB-10dB not so good ( might be intermittent signal)
    11 dB-20dB is good
    20 dB-28dB excellent
    > 29 dB outstanding

The second one is caused by missing, defective or incorrectly connected splitters/filters, faulty phone equipment, halogen lamps and stereo equipment.

Now please stop bitching that Eircom is not good ,your line is.

MOST OF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS BECOUSE YOUR DON`T USE THE MAIN PHONE SOCKET !!!!!!

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 10.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 21.50 12.00
    CRC Errors 0

Are these the stats ? 354304493.png

353616616.png

353541791.png

Thats the kind of figures i am getting from a 3MB line in Kinnegad

The modem is on the main socket it is an old style Netopia router

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

sz_danii wrote: »
    Ok as i promised i got the list so :

Compare this to the diagnostics page on your router and DIY.
    What do you make of this, 3MB BT:

statskb2.jpg

354319168.png

the line is not too bad .... call them and see whats going on ? make sure your on LAN not WLAN , no firewalls & messanger & sharing programs and run the test again .... try http://home.eircom.net/speedtest ... good luck !

the line is not too bad .... call them and see whats going on ? make sure your on LAN not WLAN , no firewalls & messanger & sharing programs and run the test again .... try http://home.eircom.net/speedtest ... good luck !
    According to Eircom there is no fault on the line :rolleyes:, mate of mine up the road his broadband (3MB Eircom) is the same as mine since the upgrades.

I'm connected via LAN, WLAN is disable, only router connected no phone or skybox, router is 5 feet away from main phone faceplate and no programs running. I have tried three other makes of routers and all the same results.

I've been told by an engineer that works for Eircom that the only fix is to get their outdated equipment in the exchange upgraded and their lines and sub exchanges sorted out but thats not likely to happen anytime soon. He also said the answer I will get from Eircom Tech support if I ring will be that all is fine and the slow speed is caused by congestion and that there is nothing they can do :rolleyes:, even an idiot could tell you the right answer.

stats2ed7.jpg

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 15.50 14.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

So would I be correct in saying that Line Attenuation = 15 is very good but Noise Margin = 7 is bad.

Fair play for info SZ danii

give me your lanline no. on private ... i`ll test your line tomorrow and then i can tell you whats going on there !

give me your lanline no. on private ... i`ll test your line tomorrow and then i can tell you whats going on there !
    Would you be able to check my line also please ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I sent eircom an email last night. No abuse just said I was only getting a sixth of the speed I am supposed to be getting and it isn't acceptable. My connection seems to be back to normal now. Happy days! :)

Advertisement