Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 1mb Problem

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

My internet is fairly slow aswell.

this is what it says in me 192.168.1.254

Speed 1024/128 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 47/31 dB ( dunno what that means. )

354992458.png

Highest I normally get is about 110kbps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Your speeds look about right for a 1meg connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Your speeds look about right for a 1meg connection.

Oh right, well thats the end of me going to give out then lol.

holy mother of god why did one of your mates dress up as the joker in a nurses outfit lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

seanybiker wrote: »
    holy mother of god why did one of your mates dress up as the joker in a nurses outfit lol.

Probably to sexually confuse drunken guys.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

Neah ... concidence!
    I sent eircom an email last night. No abuse just said I was only getting a sixth of the speed I am supposed to be getting and it isn't acceptable. My connection seems to be back to normal now. Happy days! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

I contacted Eircom today and ordered the Home advanced 7mb package. I was told that it would take affect at around midday tomorrow. So ill post speed tests tomorrow. As for the rest of the Kinnegad heads, my present 3mb package has been fine over the last 2 days. It was very bad at the start of the week.

cool .............if you have any troble give me a msg !

I contacted Eircom today and ordered the Home advanced 7mb package. I was told that it would take affect at around midday tomorrow. So ill post speed tests tomorrow. As for the rest of the Kinnegad heads, my present 3mb package has been fine over the last 2 days. It was very bad at the start of the week.

sz_danii wrote: »
    cool .............if you have any troble give me a msg !

No probs, Thanks for earlier info & help

Ok looks like my upgrade came early. Below are speeds from the 7mb home advanced package.

D/L = 1389 kb/s
    U/L = 106 kb/s
    Ping = 115ms

ping is a bit high ... i`ll make sure tomorrow your not on high interleaving !

• Advertisement

ping is a bit high ... i`ll make sure tomorrow your not on high interleaving !

Cheers, but so far so good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I sent eircom an email last night. No abuse just said I was only getting a sixth of the speed I am supposed to be getting and it isn't acceptable. My connection seems to be back to normal now. Happy days! :)

Any chance you`d pm me the email address you sent the complaint to.Im getting speedtests of between 1500 and 2000 on a supposed 7.6 meg connection for the last 2 weeks now and no one in tech support can give me an update on the problems.
    Just spent another hour on the phone with them tonight trying to get though to a team leader.

If this keeps up its UPC from Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭uturnin6weeks

Right i rang Eircom Broadband today re my broadband speed. Over the past 3 weeks the my 1MB service is so crap- I did a test there on eircom site = Result: 132kbps

What a joke!!!!!!!

Eircom said they will look into it :(

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Any chance you`d pm me the email address you sent the complaint to.Im getting speedtests of between 1500 and 2000 on a supposed 7.6 meg connection for the last 2 weeks now and no one in tech support can give me an update on the problems.
    Just spent another hour on the phone with them tonight trying to get though to a team leader.

If this keeps up its UPC from Monday.

You have to do it through their site. Go to eircom.ie > Customer services > Log a complaint. All I got back was an email saying to contact their tech support line. No need to now.

Oh and ditto on upc. The moment I can get it the eircom is gone. It wasn't too bad when my eircom connection was solid but lately I've been having lots of downtime and this latest incident has left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

You probably have an amber line,which means that the line you have is a carrier line so it can facilitate phone calls,broadband is not advised on an amber line and if it works you wont be able to achieve speeds any higher then 1mg,other companies cant do any better as they are just selling you eircoms broadband wholesale,your just stuck for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

No offence, but that's just not true.

If someone already gets broadband, they are not on a carrier or pairgain as have been used on the eircom network for over a decade. There's a chance that eircom use special DSL-only pairgains or multiple-connection repeaters but I've no info about that, or what speeds it can achieve.

If a digital carrier line is present, no DSL connection is possible. When it's removed, whatever speed the line is inherently capable of doing is the limit.

I have an amber line (6.5km long) with stable 1024/128 kbps and margin of 16/18 as of a week or so ago. "Amber" just means that the line is very long and and mightn't work with DSL. I also think they use interleave or something as the ping times on my first hop are always slightly over 50ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

just looking through the later posts about the guys who've upgraded to 7mbps because im thinking of doing the same. thing is i tested my connection and got download speed of 2666 kb/s and upload of 307 kb/s ping was 53 ms.. these are better results than the guys with 7mbs are getting?? im with eircom and have the 3mb speed! question is should i bother upgrading and how much faster do you reckon it'l be.. cheers

If you want extra download speed, where the website can supply it, go with 7.6mbits.

If you want to game, pay less, or don't want to run the risk of getting upgraded to a level less than 7.6 mbps (eg 4096 or 6120 kbps), then go with 3 mbps.

Ping times are worse on 7.6 mbps, though you can get a package off eircom I hear, which allows for no interleaving on the upload side. I think it reduces ping times by nearly 10 ms, but they'd still be high enough and higher than for 3 meg.

Neah ... thats home professional , but you can go for home advanced (not on website, yet !) and it has all kind of profiles ... so thats not true i`m afraid...

If you want extra download speed, where the website can supply it, go with 7.6mbits.

If you want to game, pay less, or don't want to run the risk of getting upgraded to a level less than 7.6 mbps (eg 4096 or 6120 kbps), then go with 3 mbps.

Ping times are worse on 7.6 mbps, though you can get a package off eircom I hear, which allows for no interleaving on the upload side. I think it reduces ping times by nearly 10 ms, but they'd still be high enough and higher than for 3 meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

No offence to be confirmed,but I be straight with you, I work for Eircom in the broadband development department,and amber means split line with minimum BB capibilties,alot of you are making up fancy terms here that you seem be pulling out of thin air,that you think allows you get perfect broadband,amber lines are carriers,lines installed in rural areas,and awkward landscapes,to facilitate calls(eircom by law are only obliged to provide lines for calls and basic internet ala dial up),1mb possibly 1 and half max,but Eircom will only supply 1mg on on amber be on safe side,BB is unfortunately a blackspot in alot of areas in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Irlbo wrote: »
    I work for Eircom in the broadband development department
    I would like to ask you a few questions if I may with regards to extremly slow BB speeds:
    1. Did anyone in the Eircom Broadband department carry out any tests before the nationwide upgrades to determine whether the exchanges & lines could handle the increase in speeds ? If not, why ?
    2. Are Eircom currently, or will they be doing something to sort out the mess caused by the upgrades ?
    3. Do you feel it's right to expect customers to pay their bills in full when i.e. a person on a 3MB connection can only get speeds of between 200 - 500kb/s from 5pm - 1 or 3am every weekday and the same all weekend ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

+1
    Lets see if we get an answer.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I would like to ask you a few questions if I may with regards to extremly slow BB speeds:
    1. Did anyone in the Eircom Broadband department carry out any tests before the nationwide upgrades to determine whether the exchanges & lines could handle the increase in speeds ? If not, why ?
    2. Are Eircom currently, or will they be doing something to sort out the mess caused by the upgrades ?
    3. Do you feel it's right to expect customers to pay their bills in full when i.e. a person on a 3MB connection can only get speeds of between 200 - 500kb/s from 5pm - 1 or 3am every weekday and the same all weekend ?

Amber lines are not digital carrier lines. Period. I suggest you talk to your employers before posting further inaccuracies. Do you even know what a pairgain looks like, let alone how it works or who makes the ones eircom have used for a decade? A pairgain CANNOT ALLOW ANY DSL SIGNALS through it. Not just "minimum", but nothing whatsoever.

I would trust what eircom linesmen tell me before some officebound worker. I'm sure eircom broadband development can explain to me why my neighbour was allowed to order 2mbit (now 3 mbit) broadband off eircom on an amber line working at 1024/128, but I doubt they will...

And wtf is an "awkward landscape"?? Is it a landscape windswept so much that eircom's phone lines lie in ditches instead of lopsided poles??

1. NO need for tests .... home starter is still 1 mb , so bad lines are still on this package ..... better lines got the upgrade ! (where the line doesn`t support it , they don`t upgrade it )
    2. There is no mess caused by upgrades, it`s just congestion ... thats why a couple of days ago one of the BRAS was move to a different DNS server in order to fix this.
    3. It gonna be fixed ... just be patient ..... this had to happen in order to update the lines.

1. NO need for tests .... home starter is still 1 mb , so bad lines are still on this package ..... better lines got the upgrade ! (where the line doesn`t support it , they don`t upgrade it )
    2. There is no mess caused by upgrades, it`s just congestion ... thats why a couple of days ago one of the BRAS was move to a different DNS server in order to fix this.
    3. It gonna be fixed ... just be patient ..... this had to happen in order to update the lines.
    1. There should of been tests, to be in the business that Eircom is in, if it's going to bring out a new product they should be going out testing and researching to see if that product can deliver. You just don't go out on a whim and hope for the best, that's not a proper or responsible way to run a business.
    I was upgraded from 3MB - 7.6MB and then had to be downgraded back to 3MB as it didn't work. Now my 3MB will only get full speeds of 2600kb/s - 2700kb/s after 1am until round 5pm, after that my speeds can drop to as low as 100kb/s and maybe get a max speed of up to 700kb/s. Weekends it's pretty much useless.

2. I will agree with you that congestion is an issue, but to say the upgrades is not a factor in the cause of the current problems is wrong in my opinion. I had a stable connection before the upgrade rollout, now after the upgrades myself and others I know, not to mention the majority of people with issues here on the boards and across the country have nothing but problems. Congestion has been caused by the upgrades.

3. You say "It gonna be fixed", thats great to hear but this could of all been done before the upgrades and saved Eircom and BB customers a lot of hassle.

Your right .. there were a couple of tests, i`m not sure how many... but thats it, what can we do ?!? Anyway they are upgrading exchanges and splitting traffic on to different servers, so there should be a huge improvement in the next couple of months.

1. There should of been tests, to be in the business that Eircom is in, if it's going to bring out a new product they should be going out testing and researching to see if that product can deliver. You just don't go out on a whim and hope for the best, that's not a proper or responsible way to run a business.
    I was upgraded from 3MB - 7.6MB and then had to be downgraded back to 3MB as it didn't work. Now my 3MB will only get full speeds of 2600kb/s - 2700kb/s after 1am until round 5pm, after that my speeds can drop to as low as 100kb/s and maybe get a max speed of up to 700kb/s. Weekends it's pretty much useless.

2. I will agree with you that congestion is an issue, but to say the upgrades is not a factor in the cause of the current problems is wrong in my opinion. I had a stable connection before the upgrade rollout, now after the upgrades myself and others I know, not to mention the majority of people with issues here on the boards and across the country have nothing but problems. Congestion has been caused by the upgrades.

3. You say "It gonna be fixed", thats great to hear but this could of all been done before the upgrades and saved Eircom and BB customers a lot of hassle.

Your right .. there were a couple of tests, i`m not sure how many... but thats it, what can we do ?!? Anyway they are upgrading exchanges and splitting traffic on to different servers, so there should be a huge improvement in the next couple of months.
    Thanks for the update, couple of months :rolleyes:, thats what they said about the upgrades.

Hellboy where are you located-Reading that it may as well be talking about my ongoing problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Irlbo wrote: »
    You probably have an amber line,which means that the line you have is a carrier line so it can facilitate phone calls,broadband is not advised on an amber line and if it works you wont be able to achieve speeds any higher then 1mg,other companies cant do any better as they are just selling you eircoms broadband wholesale,your just stuck for the moment

Christ IRLBO can you please be clearer about the laws of physics here.

Amber can be

a)crap eircom wiring or
    b)crap customer premises wiring or
    c)a carrier or
    d)long distance

or indeed some combination of the four .

AND in EACH case will show c. 75-80db whatever causes it .

If the line has a carrier then DSL will not work at all until it is removed.

Personally I find that tickling carriers with a dose of 220v AC heats up the copper and helps that amber line over the pass level :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Personally I find that tickling carriers with a dose of 220v AC heats up the copper and helps that amber line over the pass level :p
    Heh heh ;)

Advertisement