Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant change large notes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Darragh29 wrote: »
    "Invitation to Treat"... Have never heard of this phrase once in my life, sounds like a phrase RGDATA have dreamed up to cover their members. For as long as I have been buying things in this country, Price Advertised Equals Price Payable. Now apparently we have some wannanbe legal eagles throwing out jargon like, "invitation to treat" and all sorts of horse sh*t to scare people from the fact that a price advertised, is the price you are ENTITLED to purchase that product/service at.

:oThis sounds like a person who shouts at people saying he knows his rights and quotes law at them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

"Invitation to Treat"... Have never heard of this phrase once in my life, sounds like a phrase RGDATA have dreamed up to cover their members. For as long as I have been buying things in this country, Price Advertised Equals Price Payable. Now apparently we have some wannanbe legal eagles throwing out jargon like, "invitation to treat" and all sorts of horse sh*t to scare people from the fact that a price advertised, is the price you are ENTITLED to purchase that product/service at.

Surpirsingly, RGDATA and the other trade groups actually help the customer when it comes to the prices of scanned items.

A lot of shops that are members of the trade associations actually agree to sell items at the prices advertised on the shelves, even though they are under no legal obligation to do so. They usually have a sticker with a tick on the front door which explains this.

Some of the large supermarkets go even further and give the item for free if it does scan at the correct price

PS: "Invitation to treat" was actually part of my Junior Cert business course, so anyone that has actually even done this course should be aware of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Suppose you put exactly €200 worth of diesel in your truck and present a €200 note to a sales assistant who refuses it, no signs at pumps, what's the outcome there? Is it reasonable to tender a high value note for a high value transaction?

FWIW I don't believe that there are all that many forged €200/€500 notes out there. Too many people scrutinize large notes. If I were forging notes I'd do €10/€20, nobody gives them a second glance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You've made a fool of yourself three times now in this thread.
    Don't quote law if you don't know it. And as for abusing shop staff, fair play, you're a big man.:rolleyes:

I learned invitation to treat in 1st year business and any Junior Cert student has heard of it.

Most shops will honour the advertised price and all you have to do is ask nicely. I'm certain you've never worked in retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

FruitLover wrote: »
    A €500 note is also legal tender, but no sensible person would make the assumption that a shop would be willing to change it. It's not necessarily a question of forgery risk either - how much do you think a petrol station uses as a till float? If they try to change a €200 note at the start of a shift, it could wipe out all their change. Then the next dumbass who comes in with a €200 note can't pay with it either (or a €50, for that matter).

Edit: Sorry, I see the float issue has been pointed out in a previous post.

When i was (much) younger i worked for a short while in a petrol garage, there was no way at any time they wouldn't have had change of 200. To be honest i've changed a fair few 200 notes with no problem and 500 once or twice. 500 i could see a potential problem but not 200 really. 4x50-not that much for a petrol station to have. I would be very offended if i was presented with a no means for payment form when i had offered payment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

In this situation, there is no point in having a policy advertised at the counter, after a customer has filled up with a tank of fuel at the pump. With regard to laser/debit cards, if the authorisation goes through, you will be paid, so this argument is not relevant to this discussion.

Here's another example... Last night I bought a bottle of wine, priced on the bottle and again on the shelf that the bottle was sitting on, as costing 10.95 Euro. I go to pay for it, and it scans in at 11.95 Euro. When I pointed out that it is advertised at 10.95 Euro, you wouldn't fu*kin believe it but your wan at the till says, "I'm sorry, that's the price and I can't change it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I brought her from behind her till to see the lower price TWICE on the shelf and she continues to insist that "the price at the till is the price you pay"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made a complete itinerant out of myself and ended up getting the bottle of wine at the price advertised, under protest from this UPSTART of a manager!!!

Morale of the story, believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see and stand your ground. The Celtic Tiger is over and all the crap that came with it is over...

Being fussy/gimpish over notes, is a thing of the past...

Turning your nose up at transactions under a certain amount, in the past...

Declined transactions, a new reality, so get used to it...

Interesting phrase. I wasn't sure what you meant by it but your subsequent posts have helped. It must mean someone who shouts loudly without having any idea what he's talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

LolaDub wrote: »
    When i was (much) younger i worked for a short while in a petrol garage, there was no way at any time they wouldn't have had change of 200. To be honest i've changed a fair few 200 notes with no problem and 500 once or twice. 500 i could see a potential problem but not 200 really. 4x50-not that much for a petrol station to have. I would be very offended if i was presented with a no means for payment form when i had offered payment

You're approaching it like there would only be one customer presenting a 200 note. You have no way of knowing what size note or what amount of change the customer before you needed, or the customer before them. A few large notes and a till can be cleaned out very quickly. You can't assume that there is a never ending amount of cash in the till because there isn't. Money has to be taken out and put in the safe for safety reasons.

Getting offended over a no means of payment form is a bit silly. It's not like it'll be held against you. It would be acknowledged that there wasn't sufficient change available in the till, not that you didn't have any money on you.

It always amazes me how utterly self-centred people can be when dealing with retail. I'm not directing this at anyone here, just in general. You are not the only customer to walk into the shop, you are not the only person to hand over large notes and you are not the only person who will need large amounts of change. The majority of people will have another means of payment available to them, be it a debit or credit card. From the business's point of view its better to have one or two people annoyed over having to fill in a form than to have a large amount of cash stoeln from the till. Taking it out on staff who are simply doing as they are told is really not the way to go.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

micmclo wrote: »
    The only people that use 500 euro notes are drug smugglers and cattle dealers ;)

Many shops have signs stating they won't accept 200 & 500 euro notes.
    It's gonna clear out the till in the morning and if it's a forgery it's a massive risk.

If the manager couldn't give change it's probably a directive from head office. That's why the manager couldn't do it.

Sorry, not sure how to do the euro sign on an Apple mac :o

Shops should not be allowed decide on a whim which part of the national/european currency is acceptable to them, that's the government's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was in the UK once and had filled up and went to pay with my Maestro, it wouldn't work, I only had a few pound coins and this was all the money I had. There was an ATM at a shopping centre across the road so I had to go and take out money there (With the same Maestro) and go back to the shop to pay.

So what's the situation here? I'm presenting them with valid means of payment but they can't process it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Red Alert wrote: »
    Shops should not be allowed decide on a whim which part of the national/european currency is acceptable to them, that's the government's job.

Why shouldn't they. If I owed you a tenner and gave you a €500 note, would you have the change on you to give to me immediately? No (well, probably not:)).

For obvious security reasons, shops/pubs/garages only have a limited amount of change for any particular day (until they do another "run to the bank"). Just a few customers with large notes in the morning would wipe out all their change, thus meaning that when you go down to the shop that evening to buy something for €12.50 and hand over a €20, you're getting your change back in 20 cent coins!

I worked in shops/pubs while I was a student and can tell you that it would only be pure coincidence that I might €200 worth of change (never €500). Other than that, it's up to the customer to not be buying his Daily Star with a €200 note.

As regards the government's job - firstly, it's not really. That remit is held by the central bank. And secondly, the Central Bank don't print €200 and €500 notes. They only go up to €100, for this very reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

cormie wrote: »
    I was in the UK once and had filled up and went to pay with my Maestro, it wouldn't work, I only had a few pound coins and this was all the money I had. There was an ATM at a shopping centre across the road so I had to go and take out money there (With the same Maestro) and go back to the shop to pay.

So what's the situation here? I'm presenting them with valid means of payment but they can't process it?

Cash is king.
    Most shops have credit card facilites but not all do. And the system can go down now and again. And even then some have rules like no cashback ever for laser transactions or maybe they have a minimum spend before you can use a card.
    Basically, it's cash or nothing. Anything else is just a service they provide to customers

And remember since you were in the UK, they are perfectly entitled to refuse Northern Bank, First Trust or any other version of sterling note you have. Bank of England is the legal tender.
    Open to being corrected on this though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Hagar wrote: »
    FWIW I don't believe that there are all that many forged €200/€500 notes out there. Too many people scrutinize large notes. If I were forging notes I'd do €10/€20, nobody gives them a second glance.

You would be very wrong. I am a retailer and no longer accept €200/500 notes. I was at a Business Watch meeting at Pearse St Garda station a few months ago and the Fraud Squad detective showed us some very convincing fakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I did not even know there was a €200 note until I read this :eek: !!! So I would have refused it for that reason .

I have only ever seen a €500 once and cannot remember what it looks like .

Nor do I see €100 notes often enough to actually remember what they look like either. Nor have I ever seen a denomination higher than €500 .

Best stick to €50s I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah this old chestnut....almost a year back I posted a similar thread on this foru about a good mate who tried to buy his son a PS3 in a large Virgin store, using a €500 note. Even though the final total came to about €430 (IIRC) the counter staff point blank refused to take the money. After a lot of running about, he finally got somewhere that would change it; a bookies.
    People on that thread tried to use the "no change, low float value" argument (5 tills and none of them have 70 quid in em? in the run up to xmas?), people said that once the shop had a sign up saying it didn't take large notes (it didn't have any such sign) that they could do as they liked.
    I can only think that it was a security issue that influenced store policy. But aren't € notes some of the hardest currencies to fake? I mean the notes have 6 or 7 security features that are identifiable to the average human without the need for a machine.
    If security is such an issue then why have these notes in circulation at all?
    This note came indirectly from a bank BTW and was part of a legitimate wage payment...my mate, who had a lot more to lose than the shop, accepted it without any need to do more than hold it up to the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You've made a fool of yourself three times now in this thread.
    Don't quote law if you don't know it. And as for abusing shop staff, fair play, you're a big man.:rolleyes:

I learned invitation to treat in 1st year business and any Junior Cert student has heard of it.

Most shops will honour the advertised price and all you have to do is ask nicely. I'm certain you've never worked in retail.

The OP's cause for concern wasn't about the law, it was about a clear lack of common sense on the part of the vendor he was dealing with.

I wouldn't accept any shop shoving a form into my face, not just implying but in fact stating that I couldn't pay for fuel that I had put into my car. No more than I would accept a price on a bottle of wine and on a shelf and then a higher price when I get to the till.

I suggest that the reason why lower standards have now emerged in retail outlets and this kind of stupidity is rampant, is because people in this country would appear to be afraid to meet it head on and pull up loo-laa's when they start trying to enforce petty rules... I don't accept it, and I also don't accept this immediate knee jerk referral to the statute books when the obvious cause of the problem is a lack of common sense and poor staff training.

The OP's cause for concern wasn't about the law, it was about a clear lack of common sense on the part of the vendor he was dealing with.

Ah, but people were responding to your delightful little anecdote and sheer ignorance regarding the law. You've been proven so unbelievably wrong your attempts at deflection are quite comical.
    I wouldn't accept any shop shoving a form into my face, not just implying but in fact stating that I couldn't pay for fuel that I had put into my car. No more than I would accept a price on a bottle of wine and on a shelf and then a higher price when I get to the till.

Rabble rabble rabble. You were completely wrong in "making an itinerant" out of yourself and if I was on that till and you spoke to me as rude and as agressively as your posting suggests, I would have point blank refused to sell you the wine at any price and would have told you to leave. I would have been well within my rights to do so. Nobody has to sell you anything, you are entitled to nothing.
    I suggest that the reason why lower standards have now emerged in retail outlets and this kind of stupidity is rampant, is because people in this country would appear to be afraid to meet it head on and pull up loo-laa's when they start trying to enforce petty rules...

You mean like....the law? Yeah, how petty. Look at the end of the day the price on the shelf was incorrect. I imagine had you been even remotely nice about the situation there would have been no hassle and you would have gotten the wine for the price as advertised. Then again perhaps the cashier was told to only sell items for the price at which they register, who is to know. Some managers can be unbelievably strict in that regard and I have known people who have been fired over such goodwill gestures. It sounds ridiculous but it does happen. The staff don't make the rules.
    I don't accept it, and I also don't accept this immediate knee jerk referral to the statute books when the obvious cause of the problem is a lack of common sense and poor staff training.

Call it a knee-jerk reaction all you want, the fact of the matter is that cashier was well within her rights to not only refuse to sell you the wine at the lower price but to refuse to sell it to you at all. Before you go ranting you should really educate yourself on these things. Try working just one day in retail and you will encounter some of the rudest, most ignorant people ever. It's not a pleasant job and it's not an easy job.

Common sense will do feck all if there is simply not enough money in the till. As I have already pointed out (but ya know, feel free to ignore that too since it doesn't fit in with your ridiculous, ill-informed, frothing-at-the mouth ranting), the OP has absolutely no way of knowing who was there before him, how much change they needed or whether or not a large amount of money had just been dropped from the till. Common sense would dictate that you don't assume anything and you ask if changing a big note is going to be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What you are very obviously promoting here is a world where one price is advertised, another higher price is sought at the till, and that's grand, the customer gets screwed and nothing changes.

You obviously support the petty rules set-up where a customer such as the OP offers 200 Euro cash and has an idiot pushing a form at him, requiring him to state in writing, incorrectly, that he is unable to pay for goods that he has received. If this is the idiotic world that you wish to live in, grand. Please don't look down your nose at those of us who pay excessively for, and on this basis, expect a proficient standard of service in regard what what we are paying for.

I think you should acquaint yourself with the facts before commenting on a situation that you have absolutely no knowledge of. In this situation regarding the bottle of wine, I politely pointed out that the price I was being charged was incorrect. I then have to deal with a comment that basically says, "sorry, that's the price, I can't do anything about it, you have to pay the higher price, I can't change the prices on 'the system'..."... Then I realise I'm dealing with an absolute idiot, and I react accordingly...

You see the thing is, that shop has lost me as a customer. Now maybe if you were the manager, you'd pull out a book that says somewhere that according to some law somewhere, that "technically", I can be told to fu*k off and get a bottle of wine elsewhere, and as per the "Celtic Tiger" rules of engagement, there are 100 stupid c*nts behind me who will pay more than is advertised for a product or service and will let you away with robbing them, basically acting the twit and refusing legal tender for goods of services.

But I can tell you that you won't get another cent off me and I'll talk you down as incompetent to everyone I meet. In a recession, you'll ultimately lose, not me.

With regard to your argument about not having enough change in a till and not knowing who the last customer was... If you haven't got change of 200 Euro in a till, there is no problem with that. It doesn't sound ideal, but let's accept for a minute that it can happen. So tell the customer that you haven't got change!!! Winding the customer up with a form asking them to state in writing that they are unable to pay for what they have been provided with, notwithstanding the fact that the customer standing in front of you offering you 200 Euro legal tender, is only going to lose you customers and make you look like what you are, an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JB04

perfectly entitled to refuse Northern Bank, First Trust or any other version of sterling note you have. Bank of England is the legal tender.
    Open to being corrected on this though :)

I think you are right. Remember having to change NI sterling on the boat to Holyhead, to Bank of England sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The OP said the first reason given was "not enough change" but then further on said "it's not our policy to accept those notes". It sounds like it was the conflicting excuses for not taking the note the OP took issue with, and then being asked to sign a form saying he couldn't pay. If the cashier said straight up " I can't accept that note because I haven't seen one before and therefore it could be fake" would possibly lose their job that very day. I would be more insulted if someone implied I was trying to pass dud money than if I was asked to get change elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

What you are very obviously promoting here is a world where one price is advertised, another higher price is sought at the till, and that's grand, the customer gets screwed and nothing changes.

You obviously support the petty rules set-up where a customer such as the OP offers 200 Euro cash and has an idiot pushing a form at him, requiring him to state in writing, incorrectly, that he is unable to pay for goods that he has received. If this is the idiotic world that you wish to live in, grand. Please don't look down your nose at those of us who pay excessively for, and on this basis, expect a proficient standard of service in regard what what we are paying for.

I think you should acquaint yourself with the facts before commenting on a situation that you have absolutely no knowledge of. In this situation regarding the bottle of wine, I politely pointed out that the price I was being charged was incorrect. I then have to deal with a comment that basically says, "sorry, that's the price, I can't do anything about it, you have to pay the higher price, I can't change the prices on 'the system'..."... Then I realise I'm dealing with an absolute idiot, and I react accordingly...

You see the thing is, that shop has lost me as a customer. Now maybe if you were the manager, you'd pull out a book that says somewhere that according to some law somewhere, that "technically", I can be told to fu*k off and get a bottle of wine elsewhere, and as per the "Celtic Tiger" rules of engagement, there are 100 stupid c*nts behind me who will pay more than is advertised for a product or service and will let you away with robbing them, basically acting the twit and refusing legal tender for goods of services.

But I can tell you that you won't get another cent off me and I'll talk you down as incompetent to everyone I meet. In a recession, you'll ultimately lose, not me.

With regard to your argument about not having enough change in a till and not knowing who the last customer was... If you haven't got change of 200 Euro in a till, there is no problem with that. It doesn't sound ideal, but let's accept for a minute that it can happen. So tell the customer that you haven't got change!!! Winding the customer up with a form asking them to state in writing that they are unable to pay for what they have been provided with, notwithstanding the fact that the customer standing in front of you offering you 200 Euro legal tender, is only going to lose you customers and make you look like what you are, an idiot.

If you don't mind I'll take your advice from earlier at this stage.
    Morale of the story, believe nothing of what you hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

relax have a glass of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I think the employee got there before you!

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

In this situation, there is no point in having a policy advertised at the counter, after a customer has filled up with a tank of fuel at the pump. With regard to laser/debit cards, if the authorisation goes through, you will be paid, so this argument is not relevant to this discussion.

Here's another example... Last night I bought a bottle of wine, priced on the bottle and again on the shelf that the bottle was sitting on, as costing 10.95 Euro. I go to pay for it, and it scans in at 11.95 Euro. When I pointed out that it is advertised at 10.95 Euro, you wouldn't fu*kin believe it but your wan at the till says, "I'm sorry, that's the price and I can't change it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I brought her from behind her till to see the lower price TWICE on the shelf and she continues to insist that "the price at the till is the price you pay"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made a complete itinerant out of myself and ended up getting the bottle of wine at the price advertised, under protest from this UPSTART of a manager!!!

Morale of the story, believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see and stand your ground. The Celtic Tiger is over and all the crap that came with it is over...

Being fussy/gimpish over notes, is a thing of the past...

Turning your nose up at transactions under a certain amount, in the past...

Declined transactions, a new reality, so get used to it...

That's INVITATION TO TREAT, they're not legally obliged to sell at the lower price

If you had paid though and then complained that you'd been overcharged, they'd be legally required to refund the diff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

oops, didnt read all today's posts with ITT all over them

btw daragh, it wasnt just dreampt up overnight, it dates back to 1870

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If you had paid though and then complained that you'd been overcharged, they'd be legally required to refund the diff

So are you saying if you see something advertised at €10 on the shelf and it scans up at €11, and you pay €11, then you can come back and say it's advertised as €10, I want it at €10, instead of saying this before you pay at the risk of being told "that price is invitation to treat, I don't have to sell it to you at that price, the price is €11"? So you can always get the advertised price as long as you go through with the sale?

Every single bit of the above is hilarious. Seriously, you refer to shop staff as idiots and then post that.... wow. I actually hope you're a troll...

What do you propose the cashier should have done? Say sorry we haven't got enough change and then....what? What would you class as not being idiotic? Possibly getting the customers details in order to sort out payment at another time? Would it make you feel better if the form said "no change available in the shop"? Or would that still wind you up? Do you think this goes on your credit history or something? It's a form used to get the customers details. Most places don't even use them, they instead take the car registration and the customers details. But yeah, we're all idiots for trying to come up with a solution to the problem. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Staff are NOT ABLE to change prices, without manager authorisation. In fact, in Dunnes, you can't even cancel an item without manager authorisation. You used to be able to get around this by exchagning items out, but now they've stopped allowing ordinary tills to do that. So stop acting as if people can just key in the price, no problem.

About large notes, it's very possible to not have change for them. Floats are generally fairly small and more coin-based than note-based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

and a properly run shop would have change of a 200 Euro note.

Of course they would. Just not at opening time, the start of a shift (if each staff member gets their own till), or right after cash office/the safe get given all the 50's out of a till. I had well over 3 grand in my till at closing time today, if the tills on my till bank had been robbed today and it made the news, you would probably say something like..'Their own fault, for keeping thousands in the till.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'd say they're devastated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Again, properly trained staff could easily identify a forged 200 Euro note and a properly run shop would have change of a 200 Euro note. Instead the OP has obviously run into a poorly trained gimp who was more intent on covering his arse with form filling than looking after the customer. This standard of customer service is something that crept in the with celtic tiger unfortunately...

I have seen 3 fake 200 euro notes, all have the usual details, 1 didn't have the raised ridge and the others had a foil insert from another note. All were passed by variously retailers and were described as very good by gardai.

That's about €400 euro in losses for those business, bet they have signs up and the staff involved are probably not employed there anymore.

Where I work we don't accept anything above €100 and I'm glad.

In my experience the bigger the business the better managed cash handling is. The minimum amount of cash is kept on the premises with very regular cash pick ups.

Advertisement