Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant change large notes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Im in the retail trade and the €200 is not a common note to see, that very fact means that shop staff wouldnt be used to handling them and therefore would make it easier to pass a fake.

thats why shops dont take the larger notes, if the manager explained this to the op then the mix up would have been avoided. the whole no change excuse is just an easy/polite way of explaining this without the customer thinking that you are accusing them of passing dud notes.

darragh29 (i assume 29 is your iq ) some peoples custom (not many) is just not worth keeping because its too much work and hassle -- you sound like one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Shelflife wrote: »

darragh29 (i assume 29 is your iq ) some peoples custom (not many) is just not worth keeping because its too much work and hassle -- you sound like one of them.

Yeah, that philosophy really crept in with our celtic Tiger, rip people off and sure if they don't come back, no loss, sure aren't there another 100 stupid c*nts behind that person who will tolerate being ripped off and are too afraid to say anything... The fact that a 200 Euro note is not as common as a 50 Euro a note means nothing in the context of the debate here. If the outlet had invested some time and money into detection facilities, it wouldn't matter how rare or common the note was, it would be detected if it was a fake.

Obviously we have a few shop assistants on here who take serious issue with someone promoting the idea of challenging them on anything.

I don't see how I am under any obligation whatsoever to oblige, if I am asked to fill out a form saying that I am unable to pay for goods I have been provided with. I would be insulted and offended if I was asked to fill out such a form, in the context of me having 200 Euro in my hand.

Stand for nothing, and you'll fall for anything.

krudler wrote: »
    you've already been poven wrong about this, why keep bringing it up?
    You're the kind of customer everyone working in retail hates, have dealt with plenty of clowns with the same "i know my rights!" attitude as you, even though they have no clue about what they're talking about

Again, if you advertise a product for a price and charge me more than what you have advertised, you're in the wrong and you are illegally overcharging me. If you could stop yourself for a minute, you would see that this is the only outcome. I see a price advertised, call it invitation to treat, invitation to purchase or whatever you want to call it. That is the ONLY reference I have to a price for that product. If you offer me that product for sale and I AGREE to purchase your product at that price, the first I'll know about the fact that you departed from that agreement and charged me more, is when the transaction/contract has been completed and I get a receipt informing me that you have in fact charged me more for the product than you stated that you would. This is the fact of the matter, but they obviously don't teach you these things in Mc Donalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Shelflife wrote: »
    some peoples custom (not many) is just not worth keeping because its too much work and hassle -- you sound like one of them.
    I couldnt agree more. If I worked in retail you would be one of those customers I would gladly not see coming into my shop. You seem to think just cause your a customer you can but how you like well you cant. These people are not idiots they are only doing their job, if you dont like something in elsewhere (im sure the store manager will not loose sleep over you not giving them any of your custom).

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

And remember since you were in the UK, they are perfectly entitled to refuse Northern Bank, First Trust or any other version of sterling note you have.

That is correct, also applies for notes issued by Scottish banks.
    Bank of England is the legal tender.

Sterling is the legal tender and BOE issue English notes.

northern irish notes are legal tender in england

That is correct but as they have not been issued by the Bank Of England shops,restuarants, petrol stations etc in England do not have to accept them, however most large stores will accept them.
    You may need to go into a Bank in England and ask to exchange them for English notes rather then NI or Scottish Notes,
    They have a picture of the queen on the front promising to pay the bearer the sum of x pounds so they're just as good as english notes

Not quite, there are many places in England that don't take NI or Scottish notes.
    Always ask for English notes if getting Sterling as they are easier to use then NI or Scottish Notes unless you happen to be in the country where the note was issued.
    It's just like using a german euro coin
    No it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Again, if you advertise a product for a price and charge me more than what you have advertised, you're in the wrong and you are illegally overcharging me.

No.
    That is the ONLY reference I have to a price for that product.

Except for the price displayed at the till when the item is scanned.
    If you offer me that product for sale and I AGREE to purchase your product at that price, the first I'll know about the fact that you departed from that agreement and charged me more, is when the transaction/contract has been completed

The 'agreement' comes into existence when the offeree (you) accepts the offer (total price of your goods) made by the offeror (the shop) and hands over the money. Since this is done AFTER the goods have been scanned with their individual prices clearly on display they have not departed from the 'agreement'.
    but they obviously don't teach you these things in Mc Donalds.

Why would McDonalds teach people incorrect 1st year business studies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Yeah, that philosophy really crept in with our celtic Tiger, rip people off and sure if they don't come back, no loss, sure aren't there another 100 stupid c*nts behind that person who will tolerate being ripped off and are too afraid to say anything...

You do realise that constantly repeating incorrect information won't suddenly make it true, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Again, if you advertise a product for a price and charge me more than what you have advertised, you're in the wrong and you are illegally overcharging me. If you could stop yourself for a minute, you would see that this is the only outcome. I see a price advertised, call it invitation to treat, invitation to purchase or whatever you want to call it. That is the ONLY reference I have to a price for that product. If you offer me that product for sale and I AGREE to purchase your product at that price, the first I'll know about the fact that you departed from that agreement and charged me more, is when the transaction/contract has been completed and I get a receipt informing me that you have in fact charged me more for the product than you stated that you would. This is the fact of the matter, but they obviously don't teach you these things in Mc Donalds.

The shop doesnt offer to sell you the product, you offer to buy it at the price stated at the till. That is where both parties enter into a contract not at the shelf.

If the shop was offering to sell you the wine merely because you were in the shop then that same shop would also be offering to sell the same bottle of wine to every underage youth that ever stepped foot into the shop and this is obviously not the case. The same applies for cigarettes.

So Daragh while I agree that it is annoying to find out at the till that the price you thought you were going to pay isnt the actual price theres no need to let it ruin your day, get over it.

As an aside I've worked in an off-sales for over 10 years and as was mentioned earlier some peoples custom just aint worth the hassel. I had a guy come in a few months ago with a jar full of change and wanted to buy about €12 worth of booze. I told him I wasnt going to count out the change and he started ranting and raving at me, saying that it was legal tender and I had to accept it........ the usual stuff (he probably thought he was dealing with an idiot too). I refused to serve him when he got abusive and havent seen him since.

Sometimes its just not worth the hassle, if he had the chage bagged up then I would have accepted it but as soon as he started going on about his rights I got tired of him.

There might even be a thread in here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chinafoot wrote: »
    You do realise that constantly repeating incorrect information won't suddenly make it true, yes?
    This comes to mind, after reading him trying to make the same point over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Obviously we have a few shop assistants on here who take serious issue with someone promoting the idea of challenging them on anything.

now bear in mind i generally hate the following emoticon and don't use it lightly: :rolleyes:

that's not what's happening here. People are taking serious issue with you challenging shop assistants based on your own imagined version of the law and insisting that shops should do something that would at best leave no money for change for the rest of the day and at worst leave them 230 euro down (fake note plus free petrol)

also you insist that they should be prepared to give that much change at all times, leaving them wide open to robberies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Again, if you advertise a product for a price and charge me more than what you have advertised, you're in the wrong and you are illegally overcharging me.

No, they're not. It's only illegal if they refuse to do anything about the incorrect pricing. That doesn't mean they have to give you the lower price, but they would have to refund you what you paid, and take back the product.

I see a price advertised, call it invitation to treat, invitation to purchase or whatever you want to call it. That is the ONLY reference I have to a price for that product.
    Unless you're a complete moron, then you'll presumably understand the relationship between the amount of money the teller asks you for, and the price of the product. You'll also have a receipt with the price on it after you pay, and possibly have it displayed in front of you before paying. You can then decide whether to buy or not.
    If you offer me that product for sale and I AGREE to purchase your product at that price, the first I'll know about the fact that you departed from that agreement and charged me more, is when the transaction/contract has been completed and I get a receipt informing me that you have in fact charged me more for the product than you stated that you would.
    See above for other information on the price being charged. If it does get to the stage that you've completed the transaction, then you can ask for a refund, or accept the higher price. The ONLY time the shop would be doing anything illegal, is if they don't correct the miss-price on the shelf, or they refuse to refund you if you're unwilling to accept the correct pricing.

Incorrect pricing is NOT ILLEGAL, unless it's deliberate, mistakes are not. You need to get this key fact through your head before you continue spouting complete nonsense on this thread.
    This is the fact of the matter, but they obviously don't teach you these things in Mc Donalds.

Nothing about what you've said comes anywhere close to fact, and I fail to see the connection with McDonalds.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    now bear in mind i generally hate the following emoticon and don't use it lightly: :rolleyes:

that's not what's happening here. People are taking serious issue with you challenging shop assistants based on your own imagined version of the law and insisting that shops should do something that would at best leave no money for change for the rest of the day and at worst leave them 230 euro down (fake note plus free petrol)

also you insist that they should be prepared to give that much change at all times, leaving them wide open to robberies

Ok, let's try this another way so. Let's say I'm completely wrong and others here are right, the obvious extension of that argument is that it is completely fine to put one price on a product on display and then charge another higher price at the till. Are you going to tell me now that this is what we should be encouraging ffs??? Is it grand to allow someone put up to 100 Euro's worth of fuel in their vehicle and then turn your nose up and the manner in which they choose to pay???

If I am buying something and am overcharged, the first I will usually know about it will be when I get my receipt and see that I have been overcharged, because my change is wrong. At that point in time, the transaction is complete. We don't all live in a paranoid bubble where we stand over the shop assistant as the item is being scanned in, and observe at every stage of the transaction if the price is exactly the same as it was advertised, unlike how some posters here claim to approach their purchasing. Usually, the first we know we have been overcharged, is when we see that the change doesn't look right, this is probably why we issue receipts! Some people here obviously work in retail outlets where there is a complete disregard for pricing because the outlets are poorly managed, the people posting here are on this basis, dealing with people like me who will pull them up on it, and have an issue with me posting what I think is unacceptable up here on this basis and none other.

Again, I'm stating my opinion, clearly an unsavory opinion to some here, that I will not oblige some gimp who might dare ask me to fill out a form stating that I am unable to pay for fuel, because that gimp doesn't have change to give me! If I was told the truth, like "I don't have change", grand, I'll come by tomorrow, but don't ask me to get into filling out forms and such rubbish because you don't know how to run a shop!!!

Considering the throughput of transactions in an averaged sized petrol station, there is absolutely no excuse for not having change of 200 Euro. It's not like they are a sweet shop selling 10P bags ffs. Most of them now have ATM's that will only issue a 20 Euro or a 50 Euro note. The situation would very easily be resolved by the smallest degree of forward thinking and planning and having two 100 Euro notes on site.

Again though as is always the way in this country, we think backwards instead of forwards, look for how we can pass the buck instead of actually resolving the problem to the satisfaction of the customer, and ultimately end up p*ssing people off in the process.

jor el wrote: »
    No, they're not. It's only illegal if they refuse to do anything about the incorrect pricing.
    Go back and read the thread and get acquainted with the discussion please. I've stated several times that there was a refusal to address the issue, which was why I came to the conclusion that I was dealing with a twit.
    jor el wrote: »
    Incorrect pricing is NOT ILLEGAL, unless it's deliberate, mistakes are not. You need to get this key fact through your head before you continue spouting complete nonsense on this thread.

Again, read the thread. It's hard to see how price differences can be accidental, when you are told that there is nothing that can be done when you point out that the price is incorrect. This response is clearly inconsistent with a genuine mistake. If a genuine mistake had been made, a refund would surely not be a problem. On the other hand, when you have someone arguing and bickering with you, appearing annoyed that you have dared taken the matter up with them at all, it looks to me then that the difference in price between that which was advertised and that which you are subsequently charged, could possibly be deliberate. When you look at the particular context here, an off licence adjoining a pub that would appear to be struggling to stay open, it seems to me that the logic behind what has happened, is that if people are coming out of a pub and going into an off licence with a few drinks on them as they leave the pub, they probably won't notice the fact that something 10 Euro on a shelf ends up costing them 11 Euro at the till...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Again, I'm stating my opinion, clearly an unsavory opinion to some here, that I will not oblige some gimp who might dare ask me to fill out a form stating that I am unable to pay for fuel, because that gimp doesn't have change to give me! If I was told the truth, like "I don't have change", grand, I'll come by tomorrow, but don't ask me to get into filling out forms and such rubbish because you don't know how to run a shop!!!

Oh for goodness sake, will you cop on to yourself.

It's like this; I have worked in a petrol station for over 3 years and yes, we have a "No means of payment" sheet. It's just for filling out peoples' details if they forget their wallets and what not. It's called "no means of payment" because that's the most common problem. It would be stupid to have seperate sheets like "No Change", "Credit Card Won't Work" etc.

Believe it or not, it isn't actually an official document stating that you have no way of paying and it may surprise you to know it doesn't affect your credit rating. ;)

If you came in with your €200 or €500 note and we didn't have the change (BTW what others have been saying is true, most shops don't keep a float value above €250, with about €100 of that being coins) but you said "grand, I'll come by tomorrow", we'd use that sheet because it has all the correct boxes for the information we would require. Simple as that.

You really shouldn't take it so personally... You're not that important.

No it's not.
    what i meant was that they're as legal to use as a german euro. Where the difference comes in is that a lot of places don't know that and think they're being handed a dud note, when they're not

Ok, let's try this another way so. Let's say I'm completely wrong and others here are right, the obvious extension of that argument is that it is completely fine to put one price on a product on display and then charge another higher price at the till.
    your assumption is wrong so i stopped reading there. As has already been pointed out many many times, the law protects retailers against mistakes so they're not forced to, for example, sell a 50 inch flat screen for 50c. If the mistake is pointed out to them and they do nothing to rectify it, then they're breaking the law

edit:by which i mean they should take down the incorrect sign. Rectify the mistake does not mean sell it to you at the lower, incorrect price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ok, let's try this another way so. Let's say I'm completely wrong and others here are right,

Yep
    But it took 10 pages for you to figure that out?
    , the obvious extension of that argument is that it is completely fine to put one price on a product on display and then charge another higher price at the till. Are you going to tell me now that this is what we should be encouraging ffs???

No, a shop shouldn't be doing this and they should be challenged on it.
    They are obliged to immediately take down the incorrect price and if you ask them, they will.
    This doesn't change the scanned price at the till though. I believe a shop can be hit with fines for incorrect pricing but I'm not sure how much.
    Nobody is saying you shouldn't challenge shop staff, if I got charged a higher price then the display I'd certainly mention it and it's for a small difference you'll usually get sorted no probs.
    And if it's Tesco I'll buy it and be over to customer service in a flash to get my full refund :D

Ultimatly Darragh, you were the kind of customer who made my part-time job in retail hell and I reckon other posters have seen the same.
    Standing up for yourself doesn't involve roaring at the teenage student behind the till and even if you didn't do this, many people do.

"I know my rights!" said the housewife to the law student working part-time in the shop :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Darragh29, if your going to say that X, Y and Z is illegal how about you backup your pointless ranbtings with proof from the law books, anyone else here will gladly provide proof of why your wrong so why not provide proof of why your right?.

If you won't or more the the point can't then I suggest you stop your pointless and unhelpful (through incorrect info) ranting as your not helping anyone looking for correct info on what the law actually is.

The I know my rights brigade are funny especially when they clearly haven't a clue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

How did this thread go so off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well since I've never worked in McDonalds I wouldnt know, I'm assuming this is a reference that since I've worked in retail I must be some pleb who stands behind a counter with a dazed look on his face serving upstanding members of the public such are yourself, willing to make idiots of themselves even though they're in the wrong and yelling at shop staff and managers who are only trying to make a living putting up with idiots like you who "know their rights" even though they havent a clue, and once again, its no illegal, do yourself a favour, go stop making a bigger fool of yourself, read up on this subject and come back with an informed opinion rather than an ignorant one,cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Considering the throughput of transactions in an averaged sized petrol station, there is absolutely no

excuse for not having change of 200 Euro. It's not like they are a sweet shop selling 10P bags ffs. Most of them now have ATM's

that will only issue a 20 Euro or a 50 Euro note. The situation would very easily be resolved by the smallest degree of forward

thinking and planning and having two 100 Euro notes on site.

Again though as is always the way in this country, we think backwards instead of forwards, look for how we can pass the buck

instead of actually resolving the problem to the satisfaction of the customer, and ultimately end up p*ssing people off in the

process.

You've obviously never worked in a petrol station, or know anyone who has.
    They're prime targets for robberies, which is a very good reason for not having large amounts of cash on hand.

And you seem to be incapable of any kind of logical thinking, let alone the forward thinking you're espousing. How exactly does having two 100 Euro notes on site help matters? If you're keeping a limited amount of cash on site, and 200 euro of that is in 100 euro notes, then you're severely limiting your ability to give change to the vast majority of people who pay with notes of <100. And after one person pays with a 200, you give them a 100 and a fair bit of your smaller change, leaving you with a 200 and a 100, which are useless for change.

Not sure how your ATM comment is relevant to your argument. Are you suggesting staff should use their own ATM cards to take money
    out to make change? Although since you point it out, what's stopping the customer taking out a smaller note to pay with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Could the OP just not go to the bank and change the note and then go pay the petrol station ?

Even the banks only give 50 euro notes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Daragh you are the person i dread dealing with.The person who has staff in tears over what 10 euro bottle of wine.Know i will say this slowly so you can understand you work in a supermarket there are different people for different jobs got it we will go on.The person who is serving you IS NOT RESPONSIBLE for the price of the things going through the till.Most places have goodwill gestures in place for when things go wrong.Now where i work if someone is overpriced i tell them to pay and go to customer services where they should get their money back and the item free..Nowwhat the manager does/nt do is no concernof the person on the till but your posts sound downright abusive,if you came to me with that attitude i would refuse to serve you or get security i have done both.Just because you are unhappy with your life dont take your frustrations out on peole just because you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I imagine any shop assistant would have no genuine problem being pulled up on something, if it was solely the shop assistant who was in the wrong. There's nothing harder than trying to remain patient with a member of the I KNOW MY RIGHTS brigade spouting crap about so called rights which they insist they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the obvious extension of that argument is that it is completely fine to put one price on a product on display and then charge another higher price at the till. Are you going to tell me now that this is what we should be encouraging ffs???
    The imaginary laws are one thing, but have you really seen imaginary posts saying we should be actively encouraging incorrect prices?....

What have you been doing with that petrol? sniffing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Darragh needs to take his own advice and read the thread, and more importantly, understand what has been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

At times like this, I think it may be a good idea for everyone to spend some time in retail, like National Service ;) That way they may stop being such ignorant fools to others working in retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Id love to know what darragh29 does for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He doesnt work in retail or study law, thats a given....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    your assumption is wrong so i stopped reading there. As has already been pointed out many many times, the law protects retailers against mistakes so they're not forced to, for example, sell a 50 inch flat screen for 50c. If the mistake is pointed out to them and they do nothing to rectify it, then they're breaking the law

edit:by which i mean they should take down the incorrect sign. Rectify the mistake does not mean sell it to you at the lower, incorrect price

Some years ago I worked part-time in a shop where individual items had a price sticker on them and then would be scanned upon payment. On a number of occasions, some unscrupulous individuals would switch the price stickers in the hope of getting a bargain.

When dealing with more inexperienced members of staff, they would sometimes intimidate them into selling at the lower, incorrect price i.e. the staff member would override the scanned price. Thankfully this privilege was soon removed from all the non-management staff.

Darragh29 - are you saying we should have been forced to sell all incorrectly priced goods for the amount on the sticker? If you're in agreement then are you condoning what is essentially theft?

Advertisement