Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant change large notes?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah I love when people do that, put the red sale stickers onto a brand new top that arrived in this morning, thinking that'll fool the barcode, the till, and me. 'But it's €15 love, look!'.

They keep removing priveleges from the tills (I'm talking about Dunnes tills here). We can't cancel items, so people would get around this by doing exchanges, now we can't do that either. We can't give discounts for faulty items, correct a price...OR as of today, touch people's credit cards!

Back on topic, the Dunnes float is €153, €40 of which is notes, 4 €5's and 2 €10's. It's great when someone sees you put these into your till at the start of the day, then asks for €100 cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Always made me laugh when people picked up a dvd from the "buy one get one free" section that obviously wasnt part of it i.e some boxset for 50 quid that someone just left down there after deciding they didnt want it and youd get the "but its in the section you have to give it to me for free" morons...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's at the point now where we have to check reduced sections hourly and sign a sheet just to remove items left there by other customers, so other customers won't get confused.
    Always something more expensive left on a reduced shelf.
    Murphy's Law I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Whats the story with credit cards in Dunnes.I know Tesco have taken away a lot of these as well not being able to cancel you cant put prices in manually only certain amount of cashback.And the customer blames us.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ManyQuestions

Final update on this.
    Got a personal apology from "the manager" in the owners presence (her smirk was well gone, also didnt threaten the garda this time...wonder why).
    Petrol was for free and a voucher to boot!

When I went in, I glanced at shelving behind till....what do I see....."we accept no tender in the form of notes above the value of €100"

Asked the owner what his thoughts were re the no large notes sign, he said they're to much hassle to change.

I left and bought a chipper on the way home.

Chips were nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wouldn't it be better if the sign was on the pumps?

You would have been better off without the chips.

marti101 wrote: »
    Whats the story with credit cards in Dunnes.I know Tesco have taken away a lot of these as well not being able to cancel you cant put prices in manually only certain amount of cashback.And the customer blames us.

What do you mean 'taken away'? Dunnes doesn't accept Maestro and the cashback limit is €100. Yeah no till priveleges whatsoever, we can't even do straight exchanges anymore. They brought in a 'New Head Office' rule last week, that we're no longer allowed touch the customer's credit card, for fear of damaging it. I did that for about 4 transactions, but got too pissed off with idiots putting their card in arseways, more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the "needing a manager to void an item" is bad enough, but the "we're not allowed to touch your credit card" is absolutely mental

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

What do you mean 'taken away'? Dunnes doesn't accept Maestro and the cashback limit is €100. Yeah no till priveleges whatsoever, we can't even do straight exchanges anymore. They brought in a 'New Head Office' rule last week, that we're no longer allowed touch the customer's credit card, for fear of damaging it. I did that for about 4 transactions, but got too pissed off with idiots putting their card in arseways, more than once.

Dunnes take my maestro card! Cashback is probably around the €100 alright but that's what I expect from most places, and I don't mind as I usually only want €100 in cash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Final update on this.
    Got a personal apology from "the manager" in the owners presence (her smirk was well gone, also didnt threaten the garda this time...wonder why).
    Petrol was for free and a voucher to boot!

When I went in, I glanced at shelving behind till....what do I see....."we accept no tender in the form of notes above the value of €100"

Asked the owner what his thoughts were re the no large notes sign, he said they're to much hassle to change.

I left and bought a chipper on the way home.

Chips were nice.

Hope your happy with your self now,
    Saw another fake €100 note this week, hope your careful who you accept large notes from, that business certainly is.
    Just a thought would you have accepted a €100 note and €80 in small notes?

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    Dunnes take my maestro card! Cashback is probably around the €100 alright but that's what I expect from most places, and I don't mind as I usually only want €100 in cash anyway.

Yes there's one that they take..HSBC Nationwide possibly. The majority of Maestro cards are Switch and they won't work.

Laser is a Maestro card too, that's probably what the confusion is over ;)

the "needing a manager to void an item" is bad enough, but the "we're not allowed to touch your credit card" is absolutely mental

Yeah and the whole lot of us used the exchange button to get around having to page a manager if the customer doesn't want an item..it was seen as 'abuse'. Yeah isn't it, customers are the ones in danger of damaging their cards the way they ram them in upside down etc, everyone's ignored the new rule now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes there's one that they take..HSBC Nationwide possibly. The majority of Maestro cards are Switch and they won't work.

Nope, it's an AIB Maestro. The same one all AIB customers have.

dotsman wrote: »
    Nope, it's an AIB Maestro. The same one all AIB customers have.

Is an AIB Maestro ALWAYS a laser card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Maestro is a debit card processor, so is laser.
    if you mean is a maestro always a debit card - i think so.

(i think my terminology is correct here?)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

cormie wrote: »
    Is an AIB Maestro ALWAYS a laser card?

Yup

Yeah, I meant is an AIB Maestro, always given out as a Laser card, or can you simply get an AIB Maestro with no mention of Laser. Dunnes probably have different policies on Laser (and accept them all) as opposed to Maestro (and only accept the ones mentioned).

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Its always a laser card the only difference is the name and you can use it in foreign atm's that have the maestro symbol.

Yup, very handy to have abroad alright, was just curious whether Dunnes were categorising it as a Maestro or, as I suspect have just classify it as a Laser even though it's a Maestro too ;)

• Advertisement

Nah Laser is fine,Laser/Maestro cards work as Laser here, and as Maestro abroad. It's the pure Maestro Dunnes won't take. Dunno why, they take American Express and a lot of places don't.

Advertisement