Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training--PADI, BSAC, CMAS ?

• 08-11-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering what the main differences of the training clubs in Ireland.

There is PADI, BSAC, CMAS..that I have come across

Would there be a major ways that they operate, i.e being qualified and how deep that group can go down to or the training paths that they offer..

Thanks again

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

You have just opened the annual can of worms...:D i.e the slagging match between CFT & PADI.

BSAC & CFT/CMAS are generally (in some places throuthout the world they have 'resort' type training) clubs in structure & their qualifications & training is very similar. There are a small number of BSAC clubs in Ireland but there are 60+ CFT/CMAS clubs here. The training is at a much slower pace and is alot cheaper than PADI but you are expected (generally) to have already purchased your own gear which can be pricey. You also will be expected to become involved in alot of 'out of water' activities such as Boat & Compressor operation at a earlier stage than PADI. Depth depends upon experience.

PADI training is alot 'quicker' & more expensive (as it is a professional operation) but you can hire gear from your PADI centre.

I suggest you contact your local PADI centre & your local club & talk to them both, the clubs are usually planning courses during the winter if that is the way you want to go. The PADI centres run Open Water Diver courses on demand provided they are open during the off season.

Hope this is a help..Benny

http://www.padi.com/

http://www.cft.ie/clubs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Hi Benny

Thanks for the links and your time
    Yes it does help and have a bit of reading to go through:D

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

I'd disagree that PADI is more expensive, after club fees, pool fees etc clubs can be just as if not more expensive. But I don't want to get into agency bashing, just want to give a more complete picture.
    I'm diving just over 10 years and have been in two clubs and generally prefer not to be in a club. I'm into rebreather diving, which is not the norm in most clubs, so its just what suits me best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dhaga

Personally I think CFT is the best. Padi has a great learning programme but because its not really club based it isn't the best. CFT is club based which is why I like it.

Naturally, when I each Mon status in CFT I will get the equivalent in Padi as it allows me to teach for money if I so want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

All depends what YOU want to do.
    Once qualified to you level YOU are happy with,
    PADI caters for the "pay as you dive" divers while CFT wants to appeal to the divers that want the package deals "diving + animation program (social life)". But there is no such thing than X is better than Y.... they are different.

Which org provides better training is impossible to answer. Depends on you, the instructors and your buddies. I've seen good and bad on both sides (and other orgs).

And Agency bashing in my opinion happens when one can find any real, substantiated disadvantage in the other organization (other than you don't like them and its not for you).

I don't like sports clubs much in general - but that is just me. As long as you can pay a fee and get training and matches (or dives) as part of the fee and you can opt into the social events than that would be ok for me. Or even opt in helping out when appropriate.

But when "forced" into participating and contributing by the group dynamics of a club and the main reason for joining - going diving is secondary, then I prefer doing my own thing, pay someone and enjoy doing it.

But everyone is different and in order to judge, you need to try both and find the best option for yourself.

They are all the same - trying to teach you how to dive safely (as defined in their own training books) !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

I agree, the best option is to find a good local instructor for the level you want to do and go with them, regardless of the agency...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Rancho

If your a student, staff or a college graduate you should consider university clubs, affiliated to CFT (CMAS). Most college clubs have "club" gear so you can try it before shelling out on expensive gear without being sure its what you wanna do. College clubs are probably the cheapest way to learn less than e300 if your a student. (Best craic too)

Advertisement