Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish dont like Obama

Options
  • 08-11-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have noticed that most Irish people are not happy that Obama won the election.I watched Brian Cowen congratulate Obama as if he was in mourning ,and from most comments I have read ,it seems to me that a lot of Irish people are very sad he won.I heard a TV 3 newscaster saying he was sure the media would turn on Obama in a few weeks time....he has not even assumed office yet....Do you agree with me ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Cowen isn't exactly glowing, even at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Uh... no, I mean all I've heard since he won has been pro-Obama.

I don't think I've ever seen Cowen happy about anything, tbh, so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Uh... no, I mean all I've heard since he won has been pro-Obama.

I don't think I've ever seen Cowen happy about anything, tbh, so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Same here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

He's pissed off because he knows that Obama's policy is to reduce outsourcing of jobs and he won't be able to hide our complete lack of indigenous industry for much longer.

Plus he's probably jealous that Obama is so popular and has energy and a vision. I bet he ring Bertie every night, crying and asking him to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

taconnol wrote: »
    He's pissed off because he knows that Obama's policy is to reduce outsourcing of jobs and he won't be able to hide our complete lack of indigenous industry for much longer.
    *ding* *ding* we have a winner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sherifu wrote: »

Woohoo! What do I win??:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

taconnol wrote: »
    Woohoo! What do I win??:pac:
    Voluntary redundancy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Personally I was disappointed that John McCain didn't make it to the White House, but now that Obama is elected, we can't use rhetoric such as who is the right person for the presidency. Obama is the president, we have to assess him based on the merits of his presidency not based on the presidential campaign

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Strangely enough, i've always thought Cowen looked like a white black man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Strangely enough, i've always thought Cowen looked like a white black man.
    Except when you turn the lights off he's impossible to find. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

longlearie wrote: »
    I have noticed that most Irish people are not happy that Obama won the election.I watched Brian Cowen congratulate Obama as if he was in mourning ,and from most comments I have read ,it seems to me that a lot of Irish people are very sad he won.I heard a TV 3 newscaster saying he was sure the media would turn on Obama in a few weeks time....he has not even assumed office yet....Do you agree with me ?
    No.

You are way off the mark on this one. The media have been completely pro-Obama and I'd say 90% of the Irish people are pro-Obama.

In the last few days, people have become concerned that he may stop American companies setting up in other countries (e.g. Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 longlearie

I just think that most Irish people are very racist,if hilary clinton had won ,she would have had very similar policies to Obama's and yet there would have been massive celebration and no mention of her shortcomings or challenges she would face.There over 1 million illegal irish in the US(undocumented they call them) and they are very likely to have papers under an Obama government but the issue of outsourcing surfaced few days before elections when I think it became unbearably obvious Obama was going to win and this is the first country I know where every successful person automatically has Irish ancestry.

I read on skynews today that Obama would not have won in the Uk ,thats would be an understatement in Ireland as not in a million years would immigrants be fairly treated. What do ye think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have noticed that most Irish people are not happy that Obama won the election.
    Well, I guess you did not participate in the 2008 election forum on boards.ie? The majority didn't favour McCain and had fun poking Palin. But we are all computer nerds of sorts, so perhaps a biased sample of Irish?:cool:
    K4t wrote: »
    In the last few days, people have become concerned that he may stop American companies setting up in other countries (e.g. Ireland).
    Naaaaaa, multi-national corporate America marches to the beat of a different drummer. There are decided financial advantages to having manufacturing facilities within the EU, and Ireland has had both the skill base and receptiveness to encourage American corporations to open and maintain operations. The only thing that would be cause for them to leave would be the financial meltdown in their own country, not Obama policy statements. Now if Ireland manufactured cars and trucks, that would be a different story, as Obama is committed to restoring that particular industry in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

K4t wrote: »

I have mentioned this a while back. I think Irish people are right to be concerned. Obama’s dream may become Ireland’s nightmare.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/brendan-keenan/ireland-can-only-pray-not-all-obamas-dreams-come-true-1524099.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Raven. wrote: »
    I have mentioned this a while back. I think Irish people are right to be concerned. Obama’s dream may become Ireland’s nightmare.
    Methinks this is post-election hysteria. "The Second Coming will change the world, and we will suffer!" (Bloke in toga with fear sign pens article for Irish Times with pic). Obama's not a god, and will only be a president that can propose legislation, but cannot legislate. The US Congress legislates, and is very attuned to the lobbies that fund their elections, like the drug lobby. Multinational American corporations like Pfizer have manufacturing in Ireland (Cork?), and would be disadvantaged if they left the free market flow between 25 nations of the EU and became outsiders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

All I have heard is good things afterwards when he won (and beforehand too) the election - absolutely nothing but best wishes.
    Heck, I have yet to come across one person on the street that had a bad word about him.

Cowan is a blown-up buffoon, a useless over-inflated solicitor in his qualities as a politician and a bungling idiot for hiring the wrong fellow charlatans to sit around his Fianna Fail headquarters head-table on the first floor (first door facing you as you go up the stairs) as fellow ministers of office!

Lets be real, what Obama supposed to do - not look after his own country first!
    Anything he will do - we would probably try to do at some stage - if we had a politician actually worth his/her salt in this country!

I'm delighted Obama won.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sherifu wrote: »

90+% of the workforce is employed indigenously. Have the exact figure somewhere in notes from last year's entrepreneurship module. Might get round to diggin it out in a few weeks when I'm really trying to avoid studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Dunno where you got this idea OP. 90% of the people over here are very pro obama. Its only the odd backwards religious nutjobs that'd be against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Obama was planet earths choice. I'm just thankful the Americans didn't elect another idiot into office.

He has the weight of the world on his shoulders now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,308 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well taking things from an admittedly relatively small sample (people in work I've spoken to about the election, maybe 12-15 in all), it would appear that Irish people are not only happy Obama won, but quite a few are genuinely excited by the fact. I have yet to speak to a single person who would have preferred McCain to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I have noticed that most Irish people are not happy that Obama won the election.

The only Irish people I have met who were not happy Obama won had bets on McCain to win. Never seemed to be a matter of policies but that McCain had better odds on payout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ireland, racist or not, would be unlikely to begrudge Obama the presidency. Now if he was an immigrant driving a taxi in Dublin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I just think that most Irish people are very racist
    NIce racist assertion there.

I'm fairly sure that in some Irish polls Obama was way ahead of McCain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

No.

You are way off the mark on this one. The media have been completely pro-Obama and I'd say 90% of the Irish people are pro-Obama.

The media in Ireland were totally biased towaards obama. Its why I hate mass media, nothing is impartial anymore :(

that and hes radically pro-abortion which in Ireland, one of the 2 EU countries not to have access to abortion it can create disparages. Contrast mcCain, freevangelical anti-abortion/pro-life and its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

NIce racist assertion there.

I'm fairly sure that in some Irish polls Obama was way ahead of McCain.

I doubt you'd find a poll where McCain is ahead of obama at all tbh.

I think the OP is a troll tbh. He as the same posts copied and pasted in other threads.

http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/results

How can we hate one of our own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Think you're a bit mistaken with your judgement there. Obama was by far the more favoured of the two candidates (rightly in my opinion). Brian Cohen is always like that he's a biffo like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

if hilary clinton had won ,she would have had very similar policies to Obama's and yet there would have been massive celebration and no mention of her shortcomings or challenges she would face.

Tosh, to use a polite term.

Every first-term American president I can recall has received the same treatment in the Irish press...that being to wonder what challenges await them, and what change they will bring.

If you think Hilary wouldn't have faced this, then what you're really saying is that you think Hilary would have been the first American president in an age who didn't get this treatment.
    I just think that most Irish people are very racist
    We treat Obama the same as we've treated every other incoming American President in recent history.

We're treating him the same way US media is treating him, as well as German, French and Swiss media (based on my exposure to them).

How on God's good earth is that racist?
    I read on skynews today that Obama would not have won in the Uk ,
    Would not have one what, exactly? The British public don't elect the Prime Minister. There is no comparable race to the American presidency in Britain.

For what its worth though...I tend to agree on this point with Sky News, in that an American Senator, with a background in American politics would no go far in British politics. Then again, I wouldn't expect a British Member of Parliament (or a Lord) would not go far in US Presidential elections either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I can't remember coming across anyone who wanted McCain to win. Everyone (including myself) was pretty happy about Obama winning.Where are you getting that impression from?Having said that I'm not sure that McCain himself was the problem, it was more the VP he was intending to bring with him.Now SHE was worrying. :D
    And Cowen...well I've yet to see him get animated about anything other than Enda Kenny annoying him. He pretty much delivers all news, good and bad in the same tone of voice, so I wouldn't set too much store in that. Pus he's probably far more concerned about the mess here than who gets the American presidency.It's probably way down on his to-do list!

Advertisement