Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Graphic Designer/Consultancy

Options
  • 08-11-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to recommend a Dublin based graphic resource with creative talent, capable skills and offering a reliable service to assist with a range of graphic needs including:

- corporate literature
    - advertising (templates)
    - web (banners/online shop)
    - sales literature.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hard to recommend unless we know what kind of budget you have. Are you looking for cheap & nasty design, medium skill, good but expensive or high end consultancy for coprporate re-branding work?

Also, one suggestion would be to get your branding & stuff sorted first, and go to a different company for the web site. They're different skills, so best to work with two different companies, though often both types of companies have recommended partners they work well with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

p wrote: »
    Hard to recommend unless we know what kind of budget you have. Are you looking for cheap & nasty design, medium skill, good but expensive or high end consultancy for coprporate re-branding work?

Also, one suggestion would be to get your branding & stuff sorted first, and go to a different company for the web site. They're different skills, so best to work with two different companies, though often both types of companies have recommended partners they work well with. :)

I'll bite my lip in replying to you. Firstly since when or what basis is the prevailing assumption that when someone posts here, they're looking for a cheap solution? I tried to be succinct in outlining my reqs! Also since when is the starting point for any design actuivity budget driven? It would appear from my experiences around here that most replies are from well, lets be positive and say 'aspiring professionals'? Why, well why focus on budget when a more professional approach would be to firstly understand the project scope before determining likely project costings. A professional approach is more likely be successful in convincing client on a particular approach in contrasty to 'how much can I charge' approach. Again you are also wrong that the skill sets required are different.

'My branding and stuff'
    as you call it is well defined, some incremental branding work (as would be typical of most professional brands) is required, also required is some new templates (for new producst) and some additional graphics for inclusion on our website.

I know you were trying to be helpful but I would respect if you hadn't bothered. Facile Q's will achieve nothing more than alienate at a very early stage the prospective client. Enquiring about budgets before scope would IMO immediately indicate 'unsuitability' for the project.

I know a little about graphic design but have professional qualifications in another design discipline. That said design methodology is common across several disciplines. It never fails to disappoint me how many 'piss/paste-up artists' there are still about probably masquerading as designers.

Thanks again and no hard feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The best I've worked with have been Design Factory & Dynamo. Very professional & got very good results. Both are on the pricey side, but everyone is willing to negotiate in the current climate.

www.designfactory.ie
    www.dynamo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Also since when is the starting point for any design actuivity budget driven?

Pretty much always. No design company will begin any work for you until a budget is agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    Pretty much always. No design company will begin any work for you until a budget is agreed.

What are you on about?? Will you ever read the posts and please stop posting unless you can make a recommendation. I'm not here to discuss approach/process.

But for the record, before any work begins, a design proposal outlining scope and associated project costs must be outlined.

The relevant stages most likely are:
    -define brief (mainly client)
    -discuss brief (with consultants)
    -prepare design proposal and (consultant)
    - review proposals (client/consultant)
    -implementation (client/consultant)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I'm sure we both know how the design process works. I'll leave it at that.

I wish you the best of luck with the project

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Sonnenblumen - seriously, I've never seen such an overreaction to a post. It's in no way an unreasonable question to ask what kind of budget someone has. Budget determines what range of quality you can afford. If someone had 200 euro to buy a suit, I'd suggest very different shops to go to than if they had 2000.

You're absolutely right that there's many aspiring professionals on this forum, there's also plenty of aspiring businessmen too, who expect amazing work for nothing, so I was trying to figure out where you fit before giving you advice. No point taking the time and effort to write out a decent reply if the person won't appreciate it.

I actually could have advised you on plenty of agencies, companies and small businesses who could have done a great job for you. I know the industry quite well, but I've found your responses to me and others pretty rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

What are you on about?? Will you ever read the posts and please stop posting unless you can make a recommendation. I'm not here to discuss approach/process.

Not trying to be too snarky here... but who'd want to work for this guy? What a terrible non professional attitude. Luckily you've shown your cards way too early - probably saved some poor designer loads of aggro.

Mate, if you want a "high end" professional on a consultancy basis. It's all about the cash.... In fact 99% of companies will always ask how much you want before they discuss the project in detail. They will probably say something general like, "What will it cost us for you to do 10 icons" (or whatever they want). Why waste time messing about?

As for not discussing the whole "design process" issue - When did boards suddenly turn into a "non public" discussion forum? What did you expect? It's called a forum for a reason.

Go and post the same request on an advertising space, and you wont get any of us pesky designers disagreeing with you. :rolleyes:

Good luck! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It would appear from my experiences around here that most replies are from well, lets be positive and say 'aspiring professionals'?

You were the one that poked your nose in here with the query. TBH I'd say a lot of designers would run a mile from an attitude like the one shown in the posts. I would not blame them one bit, life's too short.

Advertisement