Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga week 10?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

We will have to agree to disagree over the tougher league. I think the premiership is more competitive as we have four of the top teams in Europe all capable of winning the league and champions league, la liga cannot boast that strength. Even domestically everyone looks to either Barca or Real, lets face it Villareal would have been 3rd last season if not for Barca's mini crisis. Valencia several seasons ago where a threat in Europe also but neither they nor Villareal or athletico are going to have the big boys quaking when the knockouts come around although the champions league can certainly be full of surprise's .I also think Serie A has a stronger contingent with both Milan's, Roma and Juve. Three European giants and a consistent Roma side.

Liverpool have been good but they haven't destroyed anyone and they've been too inconsistent to be THE team in Europe.

How misguided you are.

Bar the top 4 in the Premiership it's a deceptively weak league. This is demonstrated on a regular basis in the Wafer Cup. Outside of the top 4 in La Liga are teams who would give the 4th spot in the prem a good run. With all respect to the Villas and Pompeys of this world, they wouldnt go far in La Liga.

How much more consistency do they need to please you ? They are top of the League which is not a easy task to achieve considering the opposition they have competing with them. Also they have beaten two of there biggest rivals in United and Chelsea and still sit on top. All this without Torres by the way. Barca have not played there only real rival as of yet and no Valencia and athletico dont count my friend as they are not on Barca's level which could not be said about Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. No team and I repeat No team in la liga (bar Real and Barca who could win it) could take 4th ahead of the big four in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Bar the top 4 in the Premiership it's a deceptively weak league. This is demonstrated on a regular basis in the Wafer Cup. Outside of the top 4 in La Liga are teams who would give the 4th spot in the prem a good run. With all respect to the Villas and Pompeys of this world, they wouldnt go far in La Liga.

That's not really true. In England the top 4 are better than the top 4 in all of the other leagues. places 4-7 tend to be weaker though. Taking Italy as an example, Udinese, Napoli and Fiorentina would be stronger than say Everton, Villa and Spurs. However, after that, the Premiership is so much stronger. The midtable sides have so much more money to spend that they would be safe in either La Liga or Serie A. Sunderland for example would probably finish at least 12th every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eZe^ wrote: »
    Tougher domestic league? Personally that's a load of sh*t. The one thing that La Liga has proved over the past 5 years is that it's the most competitive league in Europe. Teams at the bottom regularly take points off the 'top 6'. That's why teams like Mallorca, Getafe, and Racing Santander can make it into the Uefa cup and do well. Getafe were a few minutes away from beating Bayern Munich and getting into the Uefa cup semi-finals. How many players from that Getafe team could you name?

Barca dropped points in the first 2 league games with a brand new coach, a new ethos and a host of new players. They needed time to adapt, and if you watched either of those games you would have seen how dominant they were. 26 shots on goal against Numancia and conceded a stupid goal against Racing. They weren't putting teams to the sword as they were adapting. You can hardly hold that against them.

Oh, and against Basel, they needed a draw to qualify, they were in cruise control mode. Guess what they did? They were the first team to qualify for the knockout stages this year. Messi and Xavi were benched, Puyol was played as a wingback.

Again, I'm saying that they are the best team in Europe SO FAR, I'm in no way saying they will win everything, or will be the best come the end of the season. I'm just delighted to see the team gel so quickly considering what has happened in the summer. I was expecting us to be competitive, but never this competitive.

Good post ,I'd agree with pretty much all of it bar the Basle match where Barca were very poor.
    The Spanish league is much better quality wise in terms of the style and quality of football played by most of the teams.
    There are alot of difficult grounds to go to due to cultural/political/city rivalries.
    Most of the lesser teams raise their games for the big boys and try to attack them as opposed to in England where most of them just roll over and try to get 10 men behind the ball.
    Albeit that attitude in England may well be changing which is a good sign.
    As for Liverpool being the best team in Europe ,please dont make me laugh.

I think that people dimiss the quality of the premier league too quickly. They see Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal brush aside the weaker teams on a weekly basis and come to the conclusion that the standard is poor. The thing to understand is that no other league possesses FOUR european powerhouses if you will so things in la liga come across slightly different.

For sheer entertainment you cannot beat the premier league and as for la liga everyone who actually watches can detest it can be as boring as watching paint dry and that even goes for watching Real Madrid who are about as entertaining as Chelsea. Barcelona are the only team you can watch and be entertained as they can play magical stuff at times in a similar way to Arsenal. I suppose one could argue on current form that Barcelona are perhaps just too strong for the majority of La liga and cannot be given a decent challenge. So one could argue on current form the standard of la liga aint to high when Barca are scoring for fun ! 34 I think in just 10 games. That is averaging 3.4 per game please somebody show me a team in the premier league with such a goal scoring average. So better quality, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Did you just say the Premier League is more entertaining than the Spanish league?

Jesus Christ, I stopped reading there.

Do you watch La liga ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

redout wrote: »
    Do you watch La liga ?

Do you watch the Premier League?

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

• Advertisement

For sheer entertainment you cannot beat the premier league and as for la liga everyone who actually watches can detest it can be as boring as watching paint dry and that even goes for watching Real Madrid who are about as entertaining as Chelsea.
    Are you watching the same football as the rest of us ???
    Real Madrid are far far more entertaining than Chelsea and their so called 'neuvo samba' soccer.
    Liverpool are one of the dullest teams around,brutal to watch.
    I'd need to be paid to watch them .
    I never get bored watching La Liga .
    The football is free flowing ,the ball is kept on the ground ,and most importantly its open attacking football .
    The players always seem comfortable on the ball unlike the Premiership where half of them just want to get rid of it .
    Its a different ethos of football,one I prefer .

When did I ever mention I supported Liverpool ? I support United actually who nine times out of ten entertain myself and millions of others. English football stopped knocking long balls at least five years ago so where you got that from only god knows. Example would be tonights Spurs liverpool game, six goals and how many game from long balls ? None if my memory serves me.

When did I ever mention I supported Liverpool ? I support United actually who nine times out of ten entertain myself and millions of others.

Sorry about that misunderstanding ,we support the same team so.:D
    The Arsenal - United match last Sat was one of the best matches I've seen in a long time a nice antithesis to the Chelsea-Liverpool match a few weeks ago.
    I guess its horses for courses.
    I just think myself that the average match in La Liga is more entertaining than one in the EPL.

Week 11 thread ? Valladolid v Real Madrid just about to kick-off.

Advertisement