Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless router for ice broadband

Options
  • 08-11-2008 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭

could anyone recommend a wireless router that works with ice broadband?the signal comes through an ethernet cable not a phoneline :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

a wireless cable router should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, welcome to boards! I have Ice and use this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=319190, works a treat, never had an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

thanks but i ended up buying the linksys that ice supply themselves,its a bit steep at 120 euro and it only arrived last week 2 months after ordering,i was lookin for somethin on the cheaper side,anyway it seems to be doing its job,thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

cambo2008 wrote: »
    thanks but i ended up buying the linksys that ice supply themselves,its a bit steep at 120 euro and it only arrived last week 2 months after ordering,i was lookin for somethin on the cheaper side,anyway it seems to be doing its job,thanks anyway

That Linksys router is OK, you must have taken the one with VOIP line? They have one for €60 without VOIP.

If you are intending to use it for gaming, set up a proper NAT between the router and your PC and console. This makes a huge difference, not entirely sure why, possibly because traffic is not looking for the device to go to. Somebody more technical than me can explain this better.

If you are torrenting/P2P, limit your global connections to 200 or less otherwise you will find that the router will 'crap out' and you will need a reboot-of the router-to get your connection back. The router's high latency is the reason for this.

It's not bad, just needs a bit of tweaking to work best.

I've been considering using third party firmware to get around the latency issue (DD-WRT or Tomato), but haven't been brave enough yet. :pac:

kaizer sauze:how do i go about setting up the NAT i dont have much knowledge on routers,also it came pre-configured minus the installation disc for some reason,would i need the disc to do it???thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

cambo2008 wrote: »
    kaizer sauze:how do i go about setting up the NAT i dont have much knowledge on routers,also it came pre-configured minus the installation disc for some reason,would i need the disc to do it???thanks

Hi

I think I might put you onto a website that is well known for helping people out in this regard.

http://portforward.com

You need to set-up each device that you are going to be using the connection, i.e. your console, your desktop/laptop etc.

Just go through the instruction for each one.

If you still have trouble post back here and I'll see if I can help.

Remember, you do not have to do this, but I found a big difference when I did.

sound,ill give that a shot as ive been havin a few slight delays with 1 or 2 ps3 games nothin major,thanks for the help

Advertisement