Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT: A guide

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

Hoping that this still holds true for this years exam.

You've given me great insight into the timing of the exam etc...

thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mr50yeb9

Hi, I'm half way through a commerce degree and have realised that this is not the career for me. Recent events and realisations have left me wanting to start over and get myself into medicine. I have never fully challenged myself and I feel like this is the right move for me. I am 19 and my science background is bare minimum, I have only done Ag Science and Biology at leaving cert level (an A1 in both.) Am I absolutely crazy thinking that I should give the gamsat a go? I am willing to give it full time prep for the entire summer and sit it in September in the UK, but am I being unrealistic in thinking I can achieve the score I need to enter postgrad medicine after my degree with such little science knowledge? Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

mr50yeb9 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm half way through a commerce degree and have realised that this is not the career for me. Recent events and realisations have left me wanting to start over and get myself into medicine. I have never fully challenged myself and I feel like this is the right move for me. I am 19 and my science background is bare minimum, I have only done Ag Science and Biology at leaving cert level (an A1 in both.) Am I absolutely crazy thinking that I should give the gamsat a go? I am willing to give it full time prep for the entire summer and sit it in September in the UK, but am I being unrealistic in thinking I can achieve the score I need to enter postgrad medicine after my degree with such little science knowledge? Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

A1s in both? How many LC points did you get? It could be easier for you to do the undergrad route.

I only got 525 which isn't enough to go through the undergrad route, I wish I had have known this is what I wanted to do when I was in school so I could have worked that bit harder

mr50yeb9 wrote: »
    I only got 525 which isn't enough to go through the undergrad route, I wish I had have known this is what I wanted to do when I was in school so I could have worked that bit harder

Yes 525 is just a bit far out unfortunately. Have you taken into account the new bonus points for HL maths?

A lot of students study for the gamsat through college. And I hear some sit it for the sake of practising whilst still in college. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with getting your 2:1 though.

Is commerce a 3 or 4 year thing?

• Advertisement

Yeah so the only route to go down is postgrad or to go back and repeat my leaving cert. Commerce is only 3 years and I'm half way through 2nd year at the moment, was considering taking the gamsat this coming september but do you think that gives me enough time to prepare? I should hopefully achieve at least a 2:1. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

It most definitely is enough time, if you were to start organising yourself now, and started studying February first at a moderate level and doing just a small amount coming upto your Summer exams you'll find yourself in a great position come the start of Summer. I don't know if you work full time during the Summer, but if you're really set on grad med, taking the Summer off or working part-time would give you a great opportunity to get a lot of work done for September. Being so young and in college and used to studying is a great advantage over a large proportion of candidates. So yeah, you're in a great position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LNazir

Hi Phoenix ,

Your post really helped me out, As I moved to Ireland 2 years ago and I hadn't done any of years like 4th year , 5th year and i sat my L.cert last year and I got 455 points and 118 points in HPAT and unfortunately didn't make it to undergraduate medicine so now I am proceeding my education while taking psychology and will apply again in graduate entry . I am really good at chemistry and biology and these are my most favourite subjects but unluckily I didn't apply in any courses below 500 in CAO so now I've to do a psychology . i would've been glad if I had got any science related course but now I am left with no choice so I am wondering like the book references that you have given they are 5 years old now as I am reading your post now :D so could you please help me giving references to more specific books for biology and chemistry .
    Thanks ,

Advertisement