Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing games that move too fast.

Options
  • 08-11-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,just got another racing game for the pc and yet again ,it's unplayable because its moving too fast.

Anything I can do about this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

get better at it?

What game is it? Can you cap it at 60FPS?

used to think wipeout on ps1 was insanely fast till i got good at it and the speed was normal after a while, same with f Zero. Not many games since that were stupidly fast and good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'll try the cap ,it happens even if i barely touch of the key the car goes half way round the course.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

311 wrote: »
    Hello ,just got another racing game for the pc and yet again ,it's unplayable because its moving too fast.

what? moving too fast? what exactly do you mean?

It might help naming the game in question also. If you are using the keyboard to control the car then stop, buy a wireless 360 controller and wonder how you ever lived without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Crystal meth :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Crystal meth :D

Yeah ,that might do it. Save me a lot of hassle aswell.:D

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    what? moving too fast? what exactly do you mean?

It might help naming the game in question also. If you are using the keyboard to control the car then stop, buy a wireless 360 controller and wonder how you ever lived without it.

I've been trying out car games ,because I wanted to get the G25 steering wheel.
    Two i tried were ,STCC demo from steam and a freebie M3 Challenge game for the freebie thread.

Quickie about the 360 controller ,if it's 40-50 quid for a controller ,would i be better off throwing another few quid and getting a 360 ? Not sure how to connect to the pc though:o

I've been trying out car games ,because I wanted to get the G25 steering wheel.
    Two i tried were ,STCC demo from steam and a freebie M3 Challenge game for the freebie thread.

Quickie about the 360 controller ,if it's 40-50 quid for a controller ,would i be better off throwing another few quid and getting a 360 ? Not sure how to connect to the pc though:o

You can buy a 360 controller with a receiver that plugs into your pc. Whether you want to get it or not depends on if you'll ever get a 360 in the future or if you game a lot on the PC, most recent PC games have native 360 support.

Don't judge a Race game if you are trying to control the vehicle using the keyboard. Try and get a loan of a steering wheel off someone.

Thanks ,I'm trying to weigh up my options on everything and decide whether or not to get a new pc.

I'm trying to demo as much stuff as I can ,before I buy anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

You can buy a 360 controller with a receiver that plugs into your pc. Whether you want to get it or not depends on if you'll ever get a 360 in the future or if you game a lot on the PC, most recent PC games have native 360 support.

Whatever you do, don't get the 360 Wireless Racing Wheel to use with the PC. Despite promises, MS still have not released drivers to enable force feedback when used with PC.

Also, instead of getting both the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver and wireless controller, a cheaper wired controller should plug straight in to the PC. Good if you don't mind wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Play F-Zero GX story mode and most racing games after that wont be moving fast enough for you.

• Advertisement

Fnz wrote: »
    Also, instead of getting both the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver and wireless controller, a cheaper wired controller should plug straight in to the PC. Good if you don't mind wires.
    What is at the end of the controller ? is it usb ?
    Thanks.
    Rhyme wrote: »
    Play F-Zero GX story mode and most racing games after that wont be moving fast enough for you.

I think i haven't really explained whats happening properly.
    Basically if i try to go forward ,it's like looking a dvd fast forwarding at x100

you can buy the 360 controller with the receiver bundled. You just have to make sure it has "Windows" in the title.

But yeah if you don't mind wires, it might be better getting the wired one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-JR9-00002-Wireless-Windows-Gamepad/dp/B000H7FCB8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1226274618&sr=8-6

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Sounds like you got yourself some kind of compatiblity problem.

Vsync? Is it a new game or is it old as the hills?

Try run a program to calculate π to lots of places, that might slow your machine down a bit.

Also, I didn't find F-Zero GX to be all that fast. I thought Rollcage was faster. :/

Thanks again for the replies ,that wireless controller looks nice. It seems like a bargain aswell:)

The racing game I tried is on steam at the moment as a demo. I think its called stcc or something .Not sure what program you think i should run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I dont get it? that controller claims to be a wireless one for windows , which implies it comes with the wireless receiver. But the price and the fact there is a bundle midway down the page with the the receiver suggests it does not?

By the way, If you have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse the adapter wont work, setpoint thinks its a mouse and doesnt let you use it.

What is at the end of the controller ? is it usb ?
    Thanks.

USB, yes.

I dont get it? that controller claims to be a wireless one for windows , which implies it comes with the wireless receiver. But the price and the fact there is a bundle midway down the page with the the receiver suggests it does not?

By the way, If you have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse the adapter wont work, setpoint thinks its a mouse and doesnt let you use it.

In the reviews ,one guy mentions that he bought the reciever and then mentions that it already comes with one.
    It claims to be for windows ,so it has to be able to connect.

I did a search about the problem with the logitech reciever and couldn't find much about it. Although the page i did find ,mentions running the game reciever on a secondary bus ,I.E Usb Hub or PCI-USB card ,which seems to solve it.

I decided to get the wireless controller ,got thinking that it might be handy if I wanted to use my TV for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Get pissed, it did wonders for me with wipoeut in phantom class and zone mode.

In the reviews ,one guy mentions that he bought the reciever and then mentions that it already comes with one.
    It claims to be for windows ,so it has to be able to connect.

:o I made that mistake also. I couldn't understand why it was cheaper so I bought the controller and a separate receiver only to find that it came bundled with it. Had to sell on the receiver at a loss to some happy buyer on adverts.ie as I couldn't be arsed to return it to Amazon.

One note, the battery life on the controller isn't the best and it isn't rechargeable. You have to buy a recharge pack separately for it.

Also, currently the best drivers for the 360 controller are community made drivers (XBCD drivers) but, afaik, there are none for the wireless 360 controller. That being said I've had no issues with the MS drivers in games that are bannered "Games for Windows"

• Advertisement

I googled around a bit and found a couple of interesting pages.
    First one has a link to an update ,which looks like a profiling thing for the controller
    http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3852

**This is the actual link below within the thread ,not sure if you have to be logged onto their site to see it though.**
    http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pinnacle-manualupdate.zip

Second ,I found japanese drivers for the wireless controller. But they aren't really in great order and look like theres a bit of working out ,where they need to go.
    http://x360wc.tripod.com/index.html
    Newer drivers of same http://www.katch.ne.jp/~morii/x360wc/index.html

One note, the battery life on the controller isn't the best and it isn't rechargeable. You have to buy a recharge pack separately for it.

Instead of the recharge pack, I just use rechargeable AA batteries and have a high-speed charger. Looking at the specs of some of the recharge packs, I reckon you're better off getting rechargeable AA batteries with a high mAh rating (2700+).

Thanks Fnz ,I wasn't sure if I needed something special.
    I have one of those sprint chargers ,so alls well.

Advertisement