Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasting good food

Options
  • 08-11-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

i was was waiting for one of my mates in one of those shopping centres that has all the shops in them. there was this muffin and coffee place beside me that was closing for the day. it was around 7 or so. i saw one of the employies dumping the muffins in to a bin as they would go stale. so i went over to her and asked her if i could take some do they would not go to waste. she flatly repied "no". they were going strate in to the bin and she would'nt let me take them. it was not as if she was taking them home. i aked a few freinds about this that work in food places like this and they say their not allowed take stuff at the end of the day.

this is the biggest waste of food ever, why do people do this?
    they could at least give to some homeless people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is not a Personal Issue. Moved from Personal Issues to Food & Drink.

Its down to good management. If staff (including managers) think that they can take home leftover foor or give it to charity or feed the ducks, they will have a tendency to prepare to defront too much food. In the long run, throwing away food saves food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Aye, I used to work in a certain supermarket branch that rhymes with 'star', and all the baked goods and deli items would be thrown out. Staff were never even offered it.

Such a stupid pointless mentality. Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Perhaps freeganism is for you OP. http://freegan.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The lads in my local petrol station would be more than happy to give us as much of the baked goods we could take at the end of the night. 'Twas Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

AFAIK, and from experience, the "policy" behind this is that big shops/cafes don't want to get into the whole legal hot soup of distributing this stale food after it's seen its heyday lest people attempt to return it for money/sue for receiving inedible food etc.

Sucks ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I worked in a fast food place where this was company policy. I used to just be overly generous with portions and accidentally put too many burgers and things into bags for the last ten minutes of the night when I was doing night shifts.

Used to get backpackers and the likes coming in occasionally at the end of the night asking if they could have any leftover food since they are on a budget. Had to say no cos there were cameras everywhere but tell them to wait outside for a bit, then when we closed I'd throw the stuff into an empty garbage bag and bring it out to them by pretending I was going out to throw it in the skip. Can't stand seeing food go to waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

I worked in a fast food place years ago and the leftover food at the end of the night was crushed in a compresser machine thing to make it inedible if anyone did go through the bins.

The only reason they will not distribute the food thats leftover is that they do not want to give it away for free, no other reason.

Such a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Don't give to the needy, it only encourages them.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Perhaps freeganism is for you OP. http://freegan.info/

haha thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Eviledna wrote: »
    AFAIK, and from experience, the "policy" behind this is that big shops/cafes don't want to get into the whole legal hot soup of distributing this stale food after it's seen its heyday lest people attempt to return it for money/sue for receiving inedible food etc.

Sucks ass.

Thats it, have heard this before. Now this would be more the case with mcdonalds etc with hot foods with meat etc. It is not such a risk with a muffin which is stored at room temp all day anyway, it does not suddenly go toxic the moment the till closes.

Another thing was giving away food or clothes was devaluing the brand, can't remember which shop it was but they threw out clothes and did not want "tramps" wearing their stuff.

My brother's jobs involves visiting many outlets and he gets loads of freebies at the end of the day.

I knew a lad who worked in mcdonalds, I think staff get a certain allowance (not all the food they want as some think). His job was counting stuff being thrown out, he threw it into his own bag, come friday or saturday he would turn up in a mates house with a gang of lads drinking with a black sack full of burgers.

In mcdonalds they throw it out after a certain time for food safety reasons, if unfit to sell they would sort of be in trouble if they said "but its good enough for the homeless"

They should at least sell stuff off cheap, but then you might get people hanging around just for cheap stuff, who might otherwise pay full price. I got 2x1L of organic milk in tesco the other day, 6cent each!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,444 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I used to work for a large chain or irish supermarkets, we did it too and the reason was that people might prepare extra so that they can take stuff home for free. And the other reason was that people who were going to buy hot food/a cake etc at the end of the day wouldn't if they knew they'd get them for free if they waited.

That said, all our extra bread and baked goods were donated to charity, sometimes it was for homeless groups, others it was for fundraisers, community parties etc. If people wanted it they got it for free as long as they had a valid reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Overature wrote: »
    i was was waiting for one of my mates in one of those shopping centres that has all the shops in them. there was this muffin and coffee place beside me that was closing for the day. it was around 7 or so. i saw one of the employies dumping the muffins in to a bin as they would go stale. so i went over to her and asked her if i could take some do they would not go to waste. she flatly repied "no". they were going strate in to the bin and she would'nt let me take them. it was not as if she was taking them home. i aked a few freinds about this that work in food places like this and they say their not allowed take stuff at the end of the day.

this is the biggest waste of food ever, why do people do this?
    they could at least give to some homeless people.

Not trying to justify it, but the actual reason is that if people thought they could blag stuff for free at the end of the day they'd sell a lot less. I have been offered free stuff at the end of the day by deli staff before though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I saw a store manager nearly cry because a freezer had broke.

Lots of people had asked could they buy the food even at half price.

He replied "no when i done that before i got sued for having food poisened some people"

they had not just taken free food from him,they then sued him for being nice:(

Advertisement