Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rad question re flow and return.

Options
  • 08-11-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Is there an easy way to find out which pipes ar the flow and return going into a rad?

I think some of my rads are conncted backwards because when i turn the wh valve to closed the rad gets VERY hot and the pipes start making a loud bubbling/boiling noise , it goes away after a few mins if i open the valve again.

Comments

Start from cold with the rads turned off, then start the heating turning on each rad one at a time and feel for the heat to identify flow pipe.

The boiling noise may come from having all your rads turned off and stopping the heat from getting out of the boiler or a circulation problem, Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

cheers gary , i have a solid fuel system so will check tomorrow when alls cold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Is there an easy way to find out which pipes ar the flow and return going into a rad?

I think some of my rads are conncted backwards because when i turn the wh valve to closed the rad gets VERY hot and the pipes start making a loud bubbling/boiling noise , it goes away after a few mins if i open the valve again.

You can't connect a rad "backwards." There is a flow pipe and a return pipe, but it is immaterial which way round they are on the rad. Water will simply flow from the inlet to the outlet either way. The flow valve is normally the one with the turnable knob on it, while the return has a blanking cap that doesn't turn, so the only possibility is if someone put the turnable valve on the return pipe and the return valve on the flow pipe. If the turnable valve is a poppet type, where the valve stem is not fixed to the knob, then in that configuration you wouldn't get any flow through the rad at any time as the turnable valve would be acting like a non return valve. Since you have solid fuel CH, it sounds to me like if you turn off too many rads then the water in the system overheats and boils since there is insufficient means of dissipating the heat. Solid fuel systems don't turn up and down immediately like gas or oil ones do. Steam in the system will push its way into the nearest rads whether the flow valve is open or not.

I have a dual system with an oil boiler and an SF back boiler. If we are using the latter and have a roaring fire, and then we turn off too many rads, we get the effect you describe.

Advertisement