Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what wireless router do you get with upc

Options
  • 08-11-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me what wireless router you get off upc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

dunworth1 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what wireless router you get off upc

When I got connected in July I got a Netgear WGR614. Better than nothing when free but I wouldn't pay for it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The router supplied is indeed the Netgear wgr614. They supply this FOC if you are taking the 20meg package and charge €49.99 on their other two packages. As posted already, its fine if its free, but I have replaced a few of these for people using UPC BB. I find that the speeds are pretty ****e when using it. I have recently switched over some friends over to one of these and they have noticed far superior speeds since changing. Also port forwarding on these is a dream.

These can be got in PC World for €40 which is a great price for a linksys router.

We didnt order our BB with a router, UPC guy came, started lashing it in there. I kept stum and we got a free router out of it. It makes up for the sometimes poor speeds. Every now and again our 10Mb line will turn to a 1 or 2 mb line for a day or so. Very rarely though so im happy out.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

We didnt order our BB with a router, UPC guy came, started lashing it in there. I kept stum and we got a free router out of it. It makes up for the sometimes poor speeds. Every now and again our 10Mb line will turn to a 1 or 2 mb line for a day or so. Very rarely though so im happy out.

Just make sure that it does not appear on your bill at a later date. The tech guys fill out work orders for each job and they have to record all equipment supplied on each job. This charging for the router is only been implented over the last few weeks though. As you have said, they were giving them free with their BB all along.

• Advertisement

It was on their site a €50 to get the router included at the time we got it installed. Thats a good few months ago now, doubt they'd ad it onto the bill after so many months.

Advertisement