Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

volvo airbag light

Options
  • 08-11-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

hi ,i drive a 2004 volvo s40 1.8. two weeks ago when i started car the airbag light came on, it has remained on ever since. car is just outta warranty, car is going great and im very happy with it, im just looking for advice on what to do?
    will i need to get it plugged in to computer? does it have to go to a volvo garage as iv heard there quite expensive, im in dublin 15 area, any advice would be helpful thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

For the simple fact it is an airbag light I would get it looked at. It would probably be a case of a garage hooking it up to a diagnostic computer, though this could cost around €100. This should tell you what, if anything is wrong, and from there you will know where to proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Get it seen to asap.

Could be something very minor, like a slightly loose connection, or it could be something as serious as the airbags not going off when they should in a crash.

Yes, Volvo dealers are very expensive, and no, you don't need to go to them.

If you're planning on selling the car in short to medium term, I'd still go for the main dealer for scheduled services though, because it's better for resale value, however I see absolutely no reason to go dealers as expensive as Volvo's for what's most likely a bad connection somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Tks 4 your response. Yes know I need to get this done asap - Not planning to resell in the short term, and car is only doing very short commutes (5-10 min) most of the week, but nevertheless need to have this sorted asap. In the current market, don't think using dealer servicing will add value, so open to other options,

Tks, Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    hi ,i drive a 2004 volvo s40 1.8. two weeks ago when i started car the airbag light came on, it has remained on ever since. car is just outta warranty, car is going great and im very happy with it, im just looking for advice on what to do?
    will i need to get it plugged in to computer? does it have to go to a volvo garage as iv heard there quite expensive, im in dublin 15 area, any advice would be helpful thanks.

my s40's airbag lights have been on since I got the car, i asked Volvo to reset it since when it was in for a service anyhow, they couldn't do it, said there was a break in the wire somewhere and told me to leave it back to them at 80 per hour, needless to say the lights still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

E92 wrote: »
    Get it seen to asap.

Could be something very minor, like a slightly loose connection, or it could be something as serious as the airbags not going off when they should in a crash.

my brother has a similiar problem on a toyota , where could you go in dublin to hook it up to computer except main dealers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

E92 wrote: »
    Get it seen to asap.

Actually he may have to for this particular case. It may be different for newer Volvo's but I know the older ones, mine included ('99), when the SRS light comes on. You have to go to a dealer to wipe it. Something unique about Volvo.

It's happened twice with mine. Two other dealerships could not wipe it. First one I was buying from so they brought it to a Volvo dealership for me to get it looked at. It was because they repaired the seat and had to take it out to do it.

Second time happened when moving the same seat a couple of years later. So obviously some sort of loose connection there. The place I normally go had a look and couldn't do it. Apparently they were able to do another Volvo before but it could have been newer.

A Google should be able to confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

patrickc wrote: »
    my s40's airbag lights have been on since I got the car, i asked Volvo to reset it since when it was in for a service anyhow, they couldn't do it, said there was a break in the wire somewhere and told me to leave it back to them at 80 per hour, needless to say the lights still on.

I'm sure they could reset the light... if the problem is not fixed it will come straight back on again....

A decent auto electrician would be able to sort this out... Or any mechanic with diagnostic equipment + electrical experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

I'm sure they could reset the light... if the problem is not fixed it will come straight back on again....

A decent auto electrician would be able to sort this out... Or any mechanic with diagnostic equipment + electrical experience...

i might check that out so, I don't ever plan on going back to the dealers after that day, they robber me blind as far as I'm concerned.

Advertisement