Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Cheap Tipple?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Castlemaine a euro a can in most O'Briens. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Slightly off topic but has anyone given into the inevitable return of homebrewing? The kits are about 60 quid I think.

I'd be very tempted, but wouldnt really see the point unless you could find a 50 or 100 litre food grade container to brew it in. Anything smaller is too little booze for the effort invested if you ask me.

A friend of mine made a few litres of mead a while ago. Well, I say mead, it was more like paint thinner with a hint of honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Bavaria!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Linden Village

Brewed by Bulmers but has nicer taste than the "real" bulmers imo. And @ €1-75 a can, much better value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

ah the joys of living close to the border and a Asda shop.
    24 x 330ml bottles of miller, becks, harp etc for €19.
    1ltr bottle of vodka €13.
    and my favourite 70cl Southern Comfort for about €17

• Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Slightly off topic but has anyone given into the inevitable return of homebrewing? The kits are about 60 quid I think.
    Couple of friends went nuts last year making brew out of all kinds of crazy fruit. Turned out well.

edit: it was pineapple and strawberry wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

There's only one good cheap tipple and that's the cheapest bottle of sambuca.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bavaria or Amstel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Linden Village (used to be 6% now its 4. something)
    Used to have a couple of pints of this before going out when as a student and i still buy a bottle now and then in tesco's
    Linden Village takes me right back to the good ol' days of my teens drinking in a fine establishment called 'The Emerald Carpet' (which was the local park). :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Kaiserdom in Dunnes... €6.99 for 6 500ml bottles...4.8% vol

Brewed and bottled in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Kaiserdom in Dunnes... €6.99 for 6 500ml bottles...4.8% vol

Brewed and bottled in Germany.

I never seem to see anyone else picking up this beer, it's nice stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Biere D'Or from tesco, although now they jacked up the price i go with Germania from Dunnes 1.15 a can and 4.8%. cheaper than Dutch too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

rossie1977 wrote: »
    now devils bit cider is horrible
    BLASPHEMY!
    I love Devils Bit and it's 6.80 for two litres(plus it makes me a happy drunk)...That seems good value to me

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Methylated Spirits and redbull, gives you more than wings! :D

illiop wrote:
    ...That seems good value to me...

Yah cheap tipple doesn't necessarily mean cheap and nasty.

I reckon you can get halfway decent grog for a good price and have a night on the piss without forking out major moolah to publicans who overcharge for drinks in many cases.

Cheap and cheerful ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Carling for me, at the moment as you can get 8 for €10 in centra, normally €1.60 a can in centra, robbing baxstards. Back to O'Briens when this offer ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Shoulder of Tesco Value Vodka and 2 cans of own brand energy drink. 9 euro. Does me most nights I go out. I don't drink any beer, or most ciders. So for that money I'd only get 4 measly cans of Kopparberg....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DonkeyPunch

Carlton Colds, they were in my offie for the summer/autumn @€;1 a bottle, 375ml too. Tasty Aussie beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

I sold 2 bottles of powers whiskey at the weekend for €20 each. now thats value. come to me for your cheap booze;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

3 crates of miller for 20 pound sterling in newry...which works out at around 8 euro for one crate of 15 bottles....which is just over 50 cent a bottle...who would have thought it. Take that Irish drink prices!!
    Quick, everybody abandon the republic this christmas with its comparitively high prices and shop in newry...lets turn this countries recession into a depression!! Wooo!!

So yea, miller is my cheap tipple when bought properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Sternburg, generally to be found for 60 cents per 500ml bottle, great beer
    http://www.sternburg-bier.de/index2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Druids is amazing! cheap and cheerful with a lovely decorated can. what more could someone ask for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

A friend is on college in St. Pats Drumcondra and the local offie (Cant think of the name)sells vodka for €2 a naggin and €10 for a 1litre! As a student where would you go worng! also it has passed my taste test and i dont like huzzar and only drink Smirnoff!

cheap vodka & Orange Juice pls:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

There was a great deal on bottles of grolsh in O Briens the other day, they have it every so often. 15 quid for 20 bottles as far as I remember.

Carlton Colds, they were in my offie for the summer/autumn @€;1 a bottle, 375ml too. Tasty Aussie beer.
    Carlton Coldies go down so easily on a hot day. Although its common practice to buy a slab because a six pack is gone in no time.

I prefer Melbourne Bitter or Red Bitter which is $1.30 per tinny in my local IGA.

Man its only 10.40am here and gearing up to be a hot one and already I have a taste for beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Someone recommend me a mixer for absinthe so I can get rid of the bottle out of my press. Seemed like the deal of the century on holidays till I tried drinking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

After a few shots you tend not to taste it. Just have a glass of a nice drink to hand. Or if you have good absinthe (prolly not from the sounds of things) you could drink it with the sugar and stuff, google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I'm 26 and I still drink Dutch Gold

• Advertisement

After a few shots you tend not to taste it. Just have a glass of a nice drink to hand. Or if you have good absinthe (prolly not from the sounds of things) you could drink it with the sugar and stuff, google it.
    Whats the deal with the various types of absinthe on sale in the stores? Is it anything like the green liquid that was imbibed by French poets like Rimbaud and Baudelaire in the 19th century to see all sorts of trippy stuff? Or is it like the commercial poitín you can buy that is a pale imitation of the real stuff?

Advertisement