Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Cheap Tipple?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's tons of different types of absinthe. I think wormwood is supposed to a key ingredient in some but not all, and supposedly accounts for the trippy effects. Personally I think the huge amount of alcohol is the key. I think (but am not sure) that if you see the absinthe lady on the bottle it should be fairly genuine stuff, they sell 65 or 70% stuff in an offie in Sligo. If you go abroad as you are no doubt aware you can get much stronger stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Wasn't it illegal at one stage?

(Must keep that in mind about the absinthe lady)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Local Tesco does tin of 500ml Carlsberg for 72p. I think that is pretty good.

When I lived in England there was cheap and nasty red wine that was £1.50 in the local Aldi. When times were hard 3 bottles of that soon got rid of the pain. Of course, I was merely deferring the pain and getting it and then some the next day.

Of course these days I only drink in hotels and drink exclusively Dom P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Absinthe tastes absolutely awful, but it makes you feel like the smartest person on earth for a few hours, which is nice.

I don't think the stuff you can get now gives you hallucinations anymore. That's a good thing, because the stuff you can get now is still strong enough to get planets drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Absinthe tastes absolutely awful, but it makes you feel like the smartest person on earth for a few hours, which is nice.

I don't think the stuff you can get now gives you hallucinations anymore. That's a good thing, because the stuff you can get now is still strong enough to get planets drunk.

Absinthe ruined my New Year's celebrations in 2001. I had an absinthe with every pint of Bud and by 11pm I f*cked off somewhere babbling about about needing to get some Haribo.

I arrived back at the house at 3am with a bag of Haribo, box of eggs and toilet roll and then picked up my guitar and played Placebo covers naked in my living room with a raging boner lurking behind my guitar.

• Advertisement

Absinthe tastes absolutely awful, but it makes you feel like the smartest person on earth for a few hours...
    Jigsaw wrote: »
    ... picked up my guitar and played Placebo covers naked in my living room with a raging boner lurking behind my guitar.
    [Note to self] - must pick up bottle tonight

I arrived back at the house at 3am with a bag of Haribo, box of eggs and toilet roll and then picked up my guitar and played Placebo covers naked in my living room with a raging boner lurking behind my guitar.

Boner aside, yes, that's about par for the course. I started trying to write a book last time. I was sure I'd have it finished by morning.

It's weird though, Absinthe just divorces your brain from your legs completely. More, it divorces your brain from your brain completely, it's like there's somebody else at the controls. Somebody sexy and awesome though, so it's alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

dSTAR wrote: »
    Wasn't it illegal at one stage?

(Must keep that in mind about the absinthe lady)

In some countries.

The guys above sound like they enjoyed absinthe, I just remember feeling cross eyed drunk.

The guys above sound like they enjoyed absinthe, I just remember feeling cross eyed drunk.
    Isn't that always the case after a skin full of booze or was it a different kind of buzz?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I love me some Warsteiner.

That's your favourite CHEAP tipple? Aren't you the girl was eating a can of chickpeas for dinner? I can see where your priorities lie. :)

• Advertisement

Warsteiner is currently 99c a bottle in my local Centra. It's cheaper than milk.

EDIT: Although it's not a very big bottle...

EDIT 2: Do not put Warsteiner on your cereal, not matter how tempting that may sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

dSTAR wrote: »
    Bavaria is cheap and nasty. By the time you get halfway through the can its flat and you get that metallicy taste in your mouth which makes you want to gag.

Put it in a pint glass or drink faster. Problem solved.

Tesco Value Cider, something like €4 for 2 lt or somet, tastes like ... bad, basically undrinkable unless you are already plastered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JoeTheDumber

Druids, 6%, and 6 for €8.

You can get hammered for €8 but try and feed yourself for that. Welcome to the Soviet Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Schofferhoffer..........1.75 a 500ml bottle from Aldi :)

Class stuff, prefer it to Erdinger

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I love buckfast. It's not cheap anymore though.:mad:
    Tuborg is good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 helen1506

Baywood White Zinfandel Wine from Lidl DELISHHHHHH........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

FINKBRAU!!!!!!

For the name alone.

Tuborg is still the beer of kings for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Agree with you on Fink Brau. Love the little bottles. They always make a nice long overdue appearance at Christmas/New Year. Also fond of Bavaria cans and Carlsberg bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Bavaria can be ok... 8 cans for 9 quid in Dunnes :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

buckfast-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I love buckfast. It's not cheap anymore though.:mad:
    Tuborg is good as well.

Buy it by the case, save a fortune. Been doing it for over a year now

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Bavaria is class, but a cheap drunk is white wine mixed with vodka, 1 bottle of each and drunk for the whole night

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

murphym7 wrote: »
    Totally agree.

Its great just cheap Carlsberg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

deise gal wrote: »
    A friend is on college in St. Pats Drumcondra and the local offie (Cant think of the name)sells vodka for €2 a naggin and €10 for a 1litre! As a student where would you go worng! also it has passed my taste test and i dont like huzzar and only drink Smirnoff!

cheap vodka & Orange Juice pls:D

I don't think that's possible if it's standard strength vodka. The tax would be more than the price.

In an offie near UCD I have seen naggins for about 3 euro, but they were only about 15% if memory serves me correctly.

Buckfast ... more like chuckfast.

I am gagging just thinking about that chocolatey, syrupy taste.

/pukes

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

bavaria! pravsky and tuborg are ok too. dutch isn't that bad either. actually, cheap beer in general is just a good thing!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

God i love a bit of buckie!!!:D

Its funny that certain European beers that would be considered average in Ireland are much more expensive here because they are 'imported' beers. I must becoming more refined in my old age because I very rarely get on the piss (beer variety) all night preferring to drink a quality bottle of sparkly or cab sav and then have a beer later at a late night bar or club. Sometimes cheap and nasty is the go because it gives me the sh!ts paying $40 for a bottle of wine in a bar or restaurant that tastes no better than a $5 bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

When I lived in England there was cheap and nasty red wine that was £1.50 in the local Aldi. When times were hard 3 bottles of that soon got rid of the pain. Of course, I was merely deferring the pain and getting it and then some the next day.
    . . .
    Absinthe ruined my New Year's celebrations in 2001. I had an absinthe with every pint of Bud and by 11pm I f*cked off somewhere babbling about about needing to get some Haribo.
    . . .

Posts of the year there for me :D

• Advertisement

mcauley wrote: »
    Posts of the year there for me :D
    Tip of the year for me :D

* Rushes out to procure said drink

Advertisement