Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus Tyres

Options
  • 09-11-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

Hello

My Ford Focus is about to get new tyres. Could you recommend me some good tyres, please? Money is not the main issue, although it is still important.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If it's the first replacement set I would just get the same make again that was already on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

They don't make them anymore, I remember that after replacing the one I destroyed after first 200 km with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The focus came with Pirelli on my old 05 Zetec. I dont know about the specific model but its always a good brand to go with.

I always find directional tyres are good myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I just had two Vredestein Sportrac fitted to my Focus last week. 205/55/R16 fitted for €85 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote: »
    I just had two Vredestein Sportrac fitted to my Focus last week. 205/55/R16 fitted for €85 each.

Interesting, the Mk1 had 205/50s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote: »
    Interesting, the Mk1 had 205/50s.

Mmm, you could be right there, I will check mine again later on.

The base models on the MkII had 15" rims too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Since you're not looking for an increase in performance, I would find out what the original tyres were for that car. What model is your focus?

The MK2 focus 1.6tdci & Mk v Golf 1.4 both use Michelin Energy tyres as the OEM choice. I've never had any trouble with them in all weather conditions.

Assuming you have standard wheels on the car, I doubt its true that the OEM fit tyre is unavailable as the vast majority of people get the same again.

I would advise against getting tyres with the thread pattern shown on the following site,
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

Quote from the site "Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

The reason I say to avoid that pattern is because two of my house-mates had tyres with the same pattern and they were hopeless on snow and even on a layer of hailstones. Seeing as its coming into winter you should look at a tyre that can cope with naff weather.

Finally, if you can't find the OEM tyre, read this and pick one that scores well in the tests.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/

Brilliant. Thank you a lot.
    I have standard Ford alloys for 1.6tdci (what a lovely car), average 5.1 l/100km.
    And because I drive a lot, even tires with a little more "wintery" cut won't be a problem. I do about 90 thousand km a year, so I'll wear them down before next summer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

The reason I say to avoid that pattern is because two of my house-mates had tyres with the same pattern and they were hopeless on snow and even on a layer of hailstones. Seeing as its coming into winter you should look at a tyre that can cope with naff weather.

I disagree. I think the main criteria for any tyre is wet weather performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

maidhc wrote: »
    I disagree. I think the main criteria for any tyre is wet weather performance.

In my limited experience I have found that tyres with a v pattern demonstrate an above average level of uselessness on hail/snow.
    (and mud now that I think of it)

So if like me you've never found a noticeable lack of grip in your regular tyres in the wet then I would avoid a v pattern.

If you do have v pattern tyres and reckon that they rock in winter conditions, then I will happily stand corrected.

Otherwise get yourself some v pattern tyres and some snow chains!

• Advertisement

I think that I would manage those two snowy days in Ireland without chains ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have toyo proxies on mine... Exceptional tyre...

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=53639233.124.4785&typ=R-119053&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Herst=Toyo&Quer=50&Felge=16&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&F_F=&dsco=124&Achse=

point to note they have changes the thread pattern now and they are much better in the wet now. top notch tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Do winter tyres (Mud and snow) have normal grip in wet conditions? Or would they be worse than normal tyres in the wet?
    In ireland with our weather, you definitly just need good tyres for the wet!

The biggest difference between normal and winter tires is the compound. The true winter tires are made from softer compound that has better grip in lower temperatures. However the wear much much faster when the temperature of the tarmac rises above 6 degrees.
    The winter tires have much better grip because of the softer compound and because of their rough thread. The are being used on rallyecross cars, if you cannot afford racing tires.
    My tyres have 205/55R16 marking on the walls. I have to check what is available locally (and financially) for my wheels.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Please post anything you find out, some of us also have a need to replace 205/55R16s.

Advertisement