Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me about Jerry Sadowitz

Options
  • 09-11-2008 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, first post here. Never knew there was a Magic and Illusion forum. Some deadly threads here.

Anyway, on topic.... Can anyone talk to me about Jerry Sadowitz ? I've heard bits and pieces from friends of friends. My gf's from Glasgow and her dad knows someone who sort of knows him and goes to the pub with him if he's in Glasgow (Sadowitz doesn't drink). I couldn't get much info out of either of them other than he's nice and shy and he made a deck of cards disappear. Also a friend of a friend went to a show he had here about a year ago. I've read a few short interviews online, usually taken around the Edinburgh Fringe fest. Every bit of information I get comes with some sort of endorsement about his magic tricks. I think his wiki page says he's one of the best card magicians in the world.

But, the guy's not on telly, I've heard he gets his videos removed from any hosting sites and he's very secretive. Now, part of the secrecy is what I find alluring. My gf got me a tape of his that was released yonks ago and I thought it was fantastic. I loved the fiver in the apple trick.

I was in Glasgow there a few weeks ago and went in to Tam Shepperds (apparently he worked in there when he lived in Glasgow when he was younger?) but I was too scared to ask about it.

So anyone care to shed any light on this chap ? How's he viewed in the magician's community ?

b036c27a02a0c76130638110.L.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Jerry is a fantastic magician but these day does standup with a little bit of magic thrown in. one thing about him is that you either love him or hate him, you find him hillarious or offensive. the reason you dont see him on the tv anymore is because he is so offensive and unpredictable.

check out the 1st bit of this vid to see him in action

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hGw4BzIDoL8

btw he didnt work in tam shepards, he just hung around like a lot of us. according to tam ,jerry could have been one of the best if it werent for his foul mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I've seen him a few times. He's an absolutely amazing magician and his act used to be brilliant. It was a fantasitc blend of foul mouth comedy and joke tricks to put you at ease and then he'd do something out of the blue, like the fiver in the apple trick that would just catch you completely off guard.

He had a couple of tv shows. One was a sketch show which had some cracking skits in it, and the other was a kind of chat show where he got people out of the audience to talk about whatever they wanted for 2 minutes. It was a bizarre idea but I thought it worked pretty well.

Sadly, as Cujimmy says he just kind of does standup which is more aimed at being offensive than funny. I'd love to see him go back to doing mainly magic.
    cujimmy wrote:
    jerry could have been one of the best if it werent for his foul mouth

That sums him up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm only familiar with him as a comedian and really dont rate him. I must see if I can get a look at his magic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I kinda like the foul mouthed/comedian side to him but that's just me cause I'm wierd :)

I might dig out my video again for that fiver in the apple trick, I love it. Especially his interaction with the audience.

There's a card trick he sells from this Magic shop in London - International Magic - bottom left of page
    Mind Ray is another miracle from Jerry Sadowitz. Easy to do yet it seems completely impossible. A Packet of cards with no faces (double sided) are shown, examined and shuffled by a spectator. The spectator selects an imaginary card and 'remembers it'(!), then returns it. After much amusing by play and under impossible conditions, the magician NAMES the chosen card!! An easy to do miracle with a cunning method, comes complete with cards and routine. This will flaw them!!

6th wrote: »
    I'm only familiar with him as a comedian and really dont rate him. I must see if I can get a look at his magic stuff.

Good luck! He scoures youtube and p2p sites and does whatever he can to have his stuff removed. He's super secretative. His website has a secret magicians section to it that's password protected. In it he sells a newsletter of some sort to magicians only.

Here's two very good interviews on him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/features/jerry-sadowitz--talking-through-his-hat-562890.html

http://living.scotsman.com/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=2519313

• Advertisement

I've got tickets for Jerry Saddowitz in Glasgow in March :)
    I'm quite looking forward to it. We're row "P" though so don't know how much magic I'll get to see or even if he still does any. MY girlfriend said her dad's mate was in a pub with him a few months ago and he made a deck of cards dissapear and it looked great :)

Saw this fella last night. There was card tricks throughout the show but they weren't really the main focus. There was a camera directed from the roof down onto a table he had. Started off with the ol' 3red balls and 3cups tricks.

He finished with a blinder of a card trick. I can't fully remember everything he did as it was complex but it went something like he asks someone in the crowd for a number between 1-20, then counts out that number of cards...

actually , I've just drawn a blank and can't remember at all, but you ended up with the audience seeing a card (which was 10 of spades) that he doesn't see then he ends up with all the 10s on one side of the table and 5spades on the other and the 10 of spades is in the middle of the deck :confused:

I'm rubbish, I wish I could remember :(

Advertisement