Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

days of the Spare Wheel numbered?

Options
  • 09-11-2008 12:30pm

Ive used my spare wheel once in 8 years of driving.
    I once used a can of sealant which worked no problem - no spare wheel used that time.
    So 8 yrs of driving and 2 punctures.
    Oh and for several years I was doing about 800 miles a week minimum... so a lot of driving
    The new Clio is roomier, with sufficient space in the back to accommodate six-footers and a usable boot. However, that rear diffuser eats into the space for the spare wheel, so if the can of sealant and electric pump don’t do the job, you’ll be waiting for a flat-bed truck.

http://www.autoracingdaily.com/news/other-motorsports/a-look-at-renault-sport-clio-1971/

I have a can of sealant and a 12V air pump.
    Should I ditch my spare wheel to save on fuel
    - is it worth the risk
    - would I save much fuel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As Im sure you have noticed the spare wheel is very important to some people who drive permanently on their spare wheels & doughnouts, 50kph sticker or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I actually won't buy a car unless it comes with a spare wheel, and on that if I see it's a space saver wheel I am less inclined to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

But what happens if you've a blow out? A can of spray would be dead handy then, wouldn't it?

Just because you've never had one, doesn't mean you won't ever had one.

Saving the money on the spare wheel they may be better investing in run flat tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I reckon that anyone who drives on our potholed roads without a spare wheel (and not one of those pathetic space saver things) is inviting disaster.

• Advertisement

Saving the money on the spare wheel they may be better investing in run flat tyres.
    Those run flat tyres cost an absolute fortune! And a puncture cant be fixed on one, a new tyre has to be bought.

And you can only drive something like 60 miles on one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I drove for about 8 miles yesterday and saw 3 people changing their tyres at the side of the road in the lashing rain, I check my spare as soon as I got home. The money saved by leaving it at home would be very minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Those run flat tyres cost an absolute fortune! And a puncture cant be fixed on one, a new tyre has to be bought.

And you can only drive something like 60 miles on one

hmm.. throwaway society

in these recession-filled days people cant afford to be buying expensive tyres that cant be fixed. normal spare wheels ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Again, like with another thread, haved talked about this a bit until yesterday.

Talking to a women who paid some amount of money for an S-max Ford, top of the range, and she still got that putty stuff. I know of a good few cars that come with full size spares, other with the spacesaver thing, and other with that putty stuff.

Mind you, the only thing i used that putty on was a lawnmower lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Considering I've had a tyre literally rip apart at the seams, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

its a bit of extra padding if someone hits ya from behind if nothin else!

I just like the piece of mind having a spare wheel, space saver or not, it'll get you out of a bad spot. I tore the sidewall bafore and foam or putty wouldn't of of gotten me home!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I was thinking of ditching my spare wheel, simply because of the sheer weight of it. It's an 18" M Parallel alloy with a 255 35 18 tyre on it. It weighs over 25kg, you can only roll it, there's no lifting that bad boy. I'm sure I could get another mile per gallon without that in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I was thinking of ditching my spare wheel, simply because of the sheer weight of it. It's an 18" M Parallel alloy with a 255 35 18 tyre on it. It weighs over 25kg, you can only roll it, there's no lifting that bad boy. I'm sure I could get another mile per gallon without that in the car.

you can't lift 25kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Indeed I can, bench 110kg. However you try lifting something that's as wide as that with no where to grip. I once had it on the kitchen table fixing some scuffs and my sister walks in. "What the hell is that?" "eh, one of my wheels". "Thats off your car?!"! I think she thought it was a tractor wheel or something...

Indeed I can, bench 110kg.

My dad is better than your dad. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fumpidge

I had a blow out on the N7, only to relise I left the spare at home when I was cleaning out the van, I learned the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hey OP, maybe we should all hit the weightwatchers diet now, might be able to get a bit of extra fuel economy doing that and thus saving the planet :D

chris85 wrote: »
    Hey OP, maybe we should all hit the weightwatchers diet now, might be able to get a bit of extra fuel economy doing that and thus saving the planet :D

Who says anythin about savin the planet.
    Im just curious - people are generally adverse to ditchin the spare wheel - as I would be. But manufacturers are starting to do it!

You probably wouldnt save much fuel, in fact I might try this for a week and see if it saves anythin worthwhile. The risk has to be worth the chance.
    But the odds of having a puncture are phenomenal. If I was on rural roads no way or on a long journey. But it probably suits some people to take the chance like if they are only commuting 5-10 miles. On a long journey you could throw the wheel back in. Could probably see the end of the spare wheel in the "City car" range with it retained in larger cars.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I hate to hear of no spare wheel... Herself had a flat on the Zafira last week only to discover some langer stole the spare :eek:. It was there in July when we came back from France..
    Lookin for a wheel in the scrappies, Opel wanted €130 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could probably see the end of the spare wheel in the "City car" range with it retained in larger cars.....

My 'city car' still has a spare, although because of the (fake) diffuser theres not enough space for the toolkit under the boot carpet! Its under the passenger seat...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

But manufacturers are starting to do it!

Starting? My car is 22 years old and it comes with a real space saver: the spare is not only small, but it is also deflated. A 12V air compressor is included. So obviously the manufacturer was saving space, rather than weight or money

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Of the 3 Mazda 6's I've supplied this year, I've ordered spare wheel kits for 2 of them as the driver's didn't want to drive around with just the gunk and compressor.

Close enough to €500 for each by the time you supply rim, tyre, jack and all the clamps to keep the wheel in place in the boot.

Also, you can't just replace the tyre gunk from the manufacturer without buying a whole kit (compressor etc.) so It's in to Halfrauds for a can of tyre weld.

Bring back full size spares!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^ Jaysus, that's steep. I drive a Civic and they don't come with a spare either. The spare kit (space saver wheel, tyre, bolts and stuff to mount it in the boot, etc) cost €180 from a Honda dealer and I thought that was expensive :eek:

Advertisement