Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E71 V Omnia

• 09-11-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I have owned a Nokia 6680 for years now and reckon it's time to move on.
    I'm torn though between the Nokia E71 and the Samsung Omnia.
    I know I'll get an upgrade at the end of November to the E71 from my bill pay plan on 3 but should I wait until my contract runs out in January and see who is offering the Omnia then?
    Both are smallish and thin for my jeans pocket, both have GPS, etc
    But which one?
    Needs: Calendar, email, GPS, docs
    Sometimes: web, radio, music.

Will I be driven demented pulling on and off a cover for Omnia to protect the screen?
    Am I only going for the Omnia because the touch screen looks cool?
    Will the E71 be more durable and reliable, and stand the test of time?
    Is the E71 screen too small?

Thoughts and feedback please from present owners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Pikasso wrote: »
    I have owned a Nokia 6680 for years now and reckon it's time to move on.
    I'm torn though between the Nokia E71 and the Samsung Omnia.
    I know I'll get an upgrade at the end of November to the E71 from my bill pay plan on 3 but should I wait until my contract runs out in January and see who is offering the Omnia then?
    Both are smallish and thin for my jeans pocket, both have GPS, etc
    But which one?
    Needs: Calendar, email, GPS, docs
    Sometimes: web, radio, music.

Will I be driven demented pulling on and off a cover for Omnia to protect the screen?
    Am I only going for the Omnia because the touch screen looks cool?
    Will the E71 be more durable and reliable, and stand the test of time?
    Is the E71 screen too small?

Thoughts and feedback please from present owners.

since you say you need mail, calendar and docs, I assume you'll be doing some text writing, editing etc etc....
    So: go for the E71!!!
    I am not a particular nokia-fanboy, but the e71 is fantastic for what you need!
    I'm also NOT a wm hater or touchscreen hater. In fact I have a very good wm touchscreener and a treo 750, but neither can beat the E71 for text entry/editing/mail etc etc.... even the p550's giant 3.5'' screen combined with touchpal do not allow for half the comfort when it comes to text entry!!!
    I'd fancy an omnia myself, but for real use I have an e71 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Forgot to mention the camera - I rely on my phone a lot for taking pictures when I'm away on hols. Does the E71 take decent photos?

Forgot to mention the camera - I rely on my phone a lot for taking pictures when I'm away on hols. Does the E71 take decent photos?

Well, it's its only weekness... It's more like a 2mp camera! It's not bad as unusable, but it's no k800 ;)
    But then: I mainly used an e61 for 2 years hahaha...no cam at all on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Have to agree on the e71 positive vibe here. I have mine three weeks now, after having moved from WM. Great experience all round. Both as a phone and as email/browsing device, its exceptional. GPS is good too (im using garmin). Battery life is ok (im getting 2days mostly with email, occasional calls/texts/browsing). Camera is ok too.

But as far as the smartphone routine goes,this thing comes up trumps. Its a no brainer from this corner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The camera is grand in the daylight, but any dark shots (even with the flash) come out very noisy.

I was using a 6233 (2mp) before this and I reckon the camera is about the same quality really (except that it also has the flash).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

After massive research it looks like the E71 is the way to go. What a pity the camera gets such bad reviews. If the E71 had a decent camera it looks like it would beat the others hands down. BTW what's the GPS like? Anyone used it?

After massive research it looks like the E71 is the way to go. What a pity the camera gets such bad reviews. If the E71 had a decent camera it looks like it would beat the others hands down. BTW what's the GPS like? Anyone used it?
    gps is a treat, and battery lasts amazingly long! lost the link, but some reviewer tested battery/gps performance, and the e71 beat them all by HOURS and HOURS! excellent both with nokia maps or google maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Pikasso I don't know if this will affect your decision or not but Nokia are currently working on two upgrades to the E71 that are expected to be released early next year. These will likely have all the features of the E71 and a bit more. For example, I'd imagine the camera will be a lot better. One of them has a neat slide down qwerty keypad as well as your traditional 1,2,3 etc.
    Anyway, you can check out some of the preview pics at http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/008/09/e72_e75_leaked_video_demo.htm

Pikasso I don't know if this will affect your decision or not but Nokia are currently working on two upgrades to the E71 that are expected to be released early next year. These will likely have all the features of the E71 and a bit more. For example, I'd imagine the camera will be a lot better. One of them has a neat slide down qwerty keypad as well as your traditional 1,2,3 etc.
    Anyway, you can check out some of the preview pics at http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/008/09/e72_e75_leaked_video_demo.htm

Camera won't be better afaik. 2 mp in e63 and same as e71's in "e72"/that slider... I may be very mistaken, though. But e63 will have 3.5 jack and it'll be loads cheaper than 71 with most features of e71 and then some, but in a plastic shell!

Advertisement