Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Athiests evil?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

CDfm wrote: »
    Whoa- Ebeneezer

Its Christmastime even for an atheist like you.You can pretend its Winterval.

Just cos AH isnt getting any presents doesnt mean you wont:D

I'm hoping for some gold, frankincense and myrrh. Well, actually, if that sounds a bit greedy I'll just settle for the gold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Maybe you could point out where Christians on this list have said we should not do the things you commend here?

The second post in the thread for starters! Something along the lines of "leave us Christians alone" - cracking start!

Quoting scripture - which incidentally is not very helpful to an Atheist who hasn't read the bible (I'm guessing) - Very ecumenical indeed

Third, the question asked was "Are Atheists evil?" Direct quotes from scripture may be blindingly obvious to some but to an Atheist, its like saying verse xyz says you're indeed evil so kill yourself now. Or not.....

Indeed some have been very understanding but in the main, for a thread about Christianity, it leaves a lot to be desired does it not? If you can't see my point, you have the right to not agree. But if only one iis unchristian, then his values must be in question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello miss! :)
    I'm not sure how to define it but I would suggest that any deliberate going against/rejection of God's will, could be described as evil. Although evil does have connotations of extreme moral "wrongness". I don't know whether an act has to be extreme for it to be evil.

When we speak of "fear" of God, it's not a quaking in your boots type of fear that makes you want to run away from God. It "holy fear" which involves a realization that our ultimate destiny (heaven/hell) depends on God's judgment of our lives and that every act/thought we do/think is either in accordance with God's will or it's not. It's about realizing how "small" we are compared with God's majesty. This fear should not result in us being afraid of God but in our trusting in His providence.

Ok the fear bit makes a little bit more sense, especially if you compare it to how small we are in the greater picture of the universe. Actually, for an "Atheist"*, I suppose my tendencies are almost religious as I would have already known that, except for the fact that I would have thought of humanity and what it's doing as being small in terms of what the universe was doing (for example, global warming vs universal cooling)

On the "Evil" issue, say an atheist was living a good life and following closely what? the ten commandments? (is that god's will?), barring of course the ones about worshiping the Lord etc. They're just as moral and as good as their christian neighbour, the only difference being that they don't happen to believe in a god. Does the lack of belief in god constitute a rejection of god's will?

(btw, I'm not trying to shred your personal beliefs or anything! I know sometimes the atheist-believer debates can sometimes end up in a slagging match and I hate seeing that as people have as much right to believe and be respected for doing so as they have to not believe and be respected for doing so).

* I say "Atheist" in "" because tbh, I think the term has too many connotations of aggressive anti-theism rather than just atheism. I also happen to consider myself to be a highly moral person, and from where I sit, a lot of people consider atheism to be connected with amorality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

On the "Evil" issue, say an atheist was living a good life and following closely what? the ten commandments? (is that god's will?), barring of course the ones about worshiping the Lord etc. They're just as moral and as good as their christian neighbour, the only difference being that they don't happen to believe in a god. Does the lack of belief in god constitute a rejection of god's will?
    Jesus said that the first commandment is the most important. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul body. I would say that lack of belief regardless of motivation is evil in God's eyes but worse when someone chooses not to believe to suit the own agenda (e.g. lifestyle). Not being able to believe surely wouldn't be as serious.

I sometimes wonder do atheists give up on God too quickly. As Jesus said, ask and you will receive. How many atheists make a real and prolonged effort to pray for faith? I don't see how God could ignore such a prayer especially when accompanied by genuine contrition and humility.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I sometimes wonder do atheists give up on God too quickly. [...] How many atheists make a real and prolonged effort to pray for faith?
    How long did you pray for faith in Allah, Zeus, Vishna, Thor, Jupiter, Ahuru Mazda and so on, before you gave up on them?

• Advertisement

rockbeer wrote: »
    Of course, but I think we have evolved this way. I don't propose an all-loving god who built us in his own image yet still made us to be capable of stealing the money.
    Do you want to be free of all responsibility for your actions? Responsibility brings growth and maturity.
    And is eternal punishment really consistent with love? What about forgiveness?
    It's commensurate with the crime of rejecting the Creator of our eternal souls. The primary pain of hell is separation from God so those who go to hell have chosen to separate themselves from God who is the source of all good.

robindch wrote: »
    How long did you pray for faith in Allah, Zeus, Vishna, Thor, Jupiter, Ahuru Mazda and so on, before you gave up on them?
    For starters I would only accept monotheism because the alternative to my mind appears unworkable. Please don't ask me to give a rigorous argument for monotheism!

If work on the basis there is only 1 God, I could then investigate the likelihood that Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc are true.

I just think Christianity comes out on top when scrutinized. e.g there is a very strong case for the Resurrection of Jesus.

I sometimes wonder do atheists give up on God too quickly. As Jesus said, ask and you will receive. How many atheists make a real and prolonged effort to pray for faith? I don't see how God could ignore such a prayer especially when accompanied by genuine contrition and humility.

I think that right there might be the catch 22 of the situation. A person who has never had religion will never have had any beliefs or prayer so how can they pray for belief?
    Now, I myself was raised a Catholic, albeit an "at your leisure" Catholic. When it came around to making my confirmation I think I was one of those one in a thousand kids that actually did think about whether they wanted to make it or not. I went ahead and made it but the seed of "is this what you believe" had already been planted and I ended up not believing. At several times since I have tried to believe, granted I haven't prayed. I'm actually quite envious of those with faith. But enough of my tangent :)

Thanks for answering the questions honestly and in a coherent and in as unbiased a manner as I could possibly wish for. You've put a lot of the responses to the thread in context for me, as I clearly have a somewhat different definition of what constitutes evil than the one that christians would have. I no longer feel quite so shocked and offended!

Do you want to be free of all responsibility for your actions? Responsibility brings growth and maturity.

I'm not trying to be a smartass but I genuinely have no idea how you could deduce that I take no personal responsibility from what I've written. I take full responsibility for my own actions, but looking at humanity as a whole it's obvious that, like other primates, we have evolved to exhibit a complex combination of altruistic and selfish behaviours. I don't hide behind that, just state it as a fact.
    It's commensurate with the crime of rejecting the Creator of our eternal souls. The primary pain of hell is separation from God so those who go to hell have chosen to separate themselves from God who is the source of all good.

All well and (not so) good, but it has nothing to do with love. You've just moved the goal posts. My question was: what does eternal punishment have to do with love? I wasn't asking how many other ways you can find to justify it.

For starters I would only accept monotheism because the alternative to my mind appears unworkable. Please don't ask me to give a rigorous argument for monotheism!

So your faith is based on personal incredulity? What if you're wrong?
    If work on the basis there is only 1 God, I could then investigate the likelihood that Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc are true.

I just think Christianity comes out on top when scrutinized. e.g there is a very strong case for the Resurrection of Jesus.

But did you really pray to allah for an extended period before giving up on him?

What about Zoroastrianism? I hope you gave that a really good try too. Then there's Baha'i, Sikhism, not to mention the ancient Egyptian Aten cult. I hope you checked all these out thoroughly and would encourage everyone else to do the same.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to be a smartass but I genuinely have no idea how you could deduce that I take no personal responsibility from what I've written.

You wrote:
    I don't propose an all-loving god who built us in his own image yet still made us to be capable of stealing the money.

Either your gods is as messed up as we are, or he didn't really make us in his own image at all, or when it comes right down to it he's just not a very good creator.

What can I conclude from this other than that you don't think much of free-will. I'm saying that free-will brings responsibility.
    All well and (not so) good, but it has nothing to do with love. You've just moved the goal posts. My question was: what does eternal punishment have to do with love? I wasn't asking how many other ways you can find to justify it.
    I don't think sending someone to hell shows hate for that person but it's more the case that the damned person has rejected God who is the source of all goodness. So to reject the Source of all goodness means to live without any good whatsoever which I suppose could be the definition of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

of course atheists are evil, can ya not see the horns and pitch-fork?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

bush Baby said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Maybe you could point out where Christians on this list have said we should not do the things you commend here?

The second post in the thread for starters! Something along the lines of "leave us Christians alone" - cracking start!
    I was late to the thread, so may have missed that. What was the context? Seems strange any Christian not welcoming debate with an unbeliever. I'm glad to engage.
    Quoting scripture - which incidentally is not very helpful to an Atheist who hasn't read the bible (I'm guessing) - Very ecumenical indeed
    I quote Scripture to show that what I'm saying is not just something I dreamt up, but actual Christian teaching. If you are engaging with Christians on the validity of their argument, you will need to know they are arguing the Christian position. And of course you have full access to the Bible on-line, to check I quoted accurately.

As to being ecumenical, that is never my intention - I'm only interested in presenting the authentic Christian position, not some syncretistic dilution.
    Third, the question asked was "Are Atheists evil?" Direct quotes from scripture may be blindingly obvious to some but to an Atheist, its like saying verse xyz says you're indeed evil so kill yourself now. Or not.....
    If the atheist took on board all that I'm saying on trhe subject, suicide would not be an option. Repentance and faith would. If the doctor said you will die if your diabetes is not treated, would you think that killing yourself is an appropriate response? Would taking the medicine not be more sensible?
    Indeed some have been very understanding but in the main, for a thread about Christianity, it leaves a lot to be desired does it not? If you can't see my point, you have the right to not agree. But if only one iis unchristian, then his values must be in question
    As I said, I may have missed some abusive post - please point it out. I've read several pages without success so far.

I'm surprised by the responses here. I was raised a catholic and, although I didn't bother listening to much of the religious instruction, the general gist of it was to love one another.

Define evil.

I don't think most atheists would fit the definition. I've since gone away from catholicism and find myself not really believing in anything. However, I lead a good life, I love, I laugh, I care about people, I donate to charity, I work hard, I don't drink to excess, I don't do drugs. I'd hardly call that evil, I've simply thought about things and decided that, in my heart of hearts, I just don't believe.

Now, I saw this thread and, given that it was in a Christianity forum, fully expected the answer to be categorically no. So many people here claim to be christian, yet when asked if people are evil, based solely on whether they believe in god or not (rather than the people they are, the lives they lead etc), they will say yes! The two things just don't compute, it's hardly in the spirit of christianity to be so condemning is it?

I'm sorry to say that this is one of the reasons that I just couldn't accept what the church was saying. Never really got why I should "Fear" God if he was so loving and caring.

Please feel free to educate me on the last paragraph though.
    God is first of all holy. His love and care cannot contradict that. He can for a time endure human wickedness and give them space to repent - but eventually His wrath will fall on them if they refuse to repent.

His holiness and love are both supremely expressed by the atoning death of His Son. Christ came to bear the just punishment that was due to His people. God so loved the world that He gave His only Son to the accused death of the cross, that all who repent and believe in Him would not perish in hell, but enjoy eternal life in heaven with Him.

If God were not holy, He could overlook sin; if He was not loving, He would have left all of us in our sins.

As to the definition of evil - expect a Christian forum to give the Christian definition. Unbelief is a sin, just as much as theft, rape or murder. It is an act of rebellion against God our Creator.

bush Baby said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    I must differ from PDN here: everyone who does not trust in Christ will go to hell.

Those who never hear the gospel have nevertheless sinned against God - all mankind are by nature children of wrath.
    Ephesians 2:1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

Rejecting the gospel is not the only sin that puts men in hell:
    Ephesians 5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.

That's everyone? All humanity that hasn't even heard of Christ?

Hmmmm..... All Hindus, All Muslims, All Zoastrafarians, All Jews????
    Yes - though that depends on defing Jews in the religious sense rather thasn the ethnic one.
    Creation must have a very limited imagination if that's the case. Good job we invented printing otherwise no one would ever hear of Him.
    God sent missionaries long before the printing press. Printing has just made the message more easily and permanently available - when the preacher has gone, the text remains.

God is first of all holy. His love and care cannot contradict that. He can for a time endure human wickedness and give them space to repent - but eventually His wrath will fall on them if they refuse to repent.

His holiness and love are both supremely expressed by the atoning death of His Son. Christ came to bear the just punishment that was due to His people. God so loved the world that He gave His only Son to the accused death of the cross, that all who repent and believe in Him would not perish in hell, but enjoy eternal life in heaven with Him.

If God were not holy, He could overlook sin; if He was not loving, He would have left all of us in our sins.

As to the definition of evil - expect a Christian forum to give the Christian definition. Unbelief is a sin, just as much as theft, rape or murder. It is an act of rebellion against God our Creator.

So unbelief is up there with the seven deadly sins? (Genuine question). I understand that a Christian forum will give a Christian definition, I was just misled as to whence the Christian definition came as at first it seemed extreme.

You wrote:

What can I conclude from this other than that you don't think much of free-will. I'm saying that free-will brings responsibility.

But the point that you're missing is that I don't believe we were created at all, but have evolved. Therefore it's all irrelevant.

Not sure what you mean by I "don't think much of free will". What's to say - it's a given, whether we're created or not. It's the consequences I'm taking issue with and which you're still evading.
    I don't think sending someone to hell shows hate for that person

:confused:

Maybe you should think about that. Eternal damnation, an act of love. Please, Noel, try to really think about what you're saying. Anyway, let's not confuse the issue. You're introducing hate here. I haven't mentioned hate or any other motivation. I'm just saying it's inconsistent with my idea of love.

but it's more the case that the damned person has rejected God who is the source of all goodness. So to reject the Source of all goodness means to live without any good whatsoever which I suppose could be the definition of hell.

This is just window dressing. You're still evading the question of whether administering eternal punishment is consistent with a human conception of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Fair enough if Christ proposed that it was a sin not to believe... but "evil"? I always understood evil to be without hope of redemption?

So unbelief is up there with the seven deadly sins? (Genuine question). I understand that a Christian forum will give a Christian definition, I was just misled as to whence the Christian definition came as at first it seemed extreme.
    It is a sin and as such separates us from God and deserves His wrath.

But the way any particular person's unbelief compares in gravity with other sins depends on the degree of light one has - from those to whom much is given, much will be required. On the Last Day, the sinner who never heard the gospel will answer for the inate knowledge of God he had in his conscience. But the sinner who sat under the gospel - as many in our land have done - will be judged as a much greater sinner.

Fair enough if Christ proposed that it was a sin not to believe... but "evil"? I always understood evil to be without hope of redemption?
    No, evil is just the description of our sinful state. The good news is sent to all sinners, as Paul points out:
    1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

• Advertisement

So just to clarify... because I don't believe, regardless of how good a life I live and regardless of any and all good deeds done, just because I dont believe (and I cannot do any good unless I believe) I must perish? My behaviour is irrelevant? What a pointless waste of so much potential for good. And that's just me. There are billions more souls like mine. It just doesn't add up.

So just to clarify... because I don't believe, regardless of how good a life I live and regardless of any and all good deeds done, just because I dont believe (and I cannot do any good unless I believe) I must perish? My behaviour is irrelevant? What a pointless waste of so much potential for good. And that's just me. There are billions more souls like mine. It just doesn't add up.
    You value your good deeds too highly, and your rebellion against God too lightly.

As to your behaviour, it will only add to your condemnation, in the degree of its wickedness.

Our only potential for good is that of loving God and doing His will. That begins with repentance for our sins and putting our trust in Christ as our Redeemer.

So the New Testament is just all tosh then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Wait till Iblis gets a hold of 'em.

Lucky I dont believe in heaven or hell either so then!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

In Matthew it says -" judge not lest ye be judged"and "let him without sin cast the first stone"

This is interpreted to mean -do not judge too harshly as you will be judged by the same measure.

I hope that lightens the mood a bit- thats fairly simple.

I cant look at some of these posts and not think that if someone can be discriminated on the grounds of religion can you have discrimination for non belief. Can it happen.

I seem to remember a reverend in Trim posting that he didnt believe any more and leaving a Fr Dougal style message on his website.

Now I believe - but if someone has a crisis of faith and cant believe sincerily but still subscribes to the ethics and morals surely you cant condemn them. I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I cant look at some of these posts and not think that if someone can be discriminated on the grounds of religion can you have discrimination for non belief. Can it happen.

I seem to remember a reverend in Trim posting that he didnt believe any more and leaving a Fr Dougal style message on his website.

Now I believe - but if someone has a crisis of faith and cant believe sincerily but still subscribes to the ethics and morals surely you cant condemn them. I think not.

In America discrimination against atheists is not only rampant, it is culturally, officially and sometimes even legally encouraged. This goes a long way to explain why atheists often seem highly defensive. I've personally never been victim (as far as I know), so I thank god I live in Europe.

I thank god I live in Europe.

Would an Athiest thank God for stuff? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Because I was raised in a Christian-majority country. I'm sure I'd be thanking Mohammad or Buddha or Vishnu if I were from another land. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 martinstuart

The way I understand it, "evil" means completely lacking in good.

Nobody is completely lacking in good. Though sometimes some of our actions are evil.

I speak as a Catholic, who loves God and knows in his heart God loves everyone--equally, atheist or not, catholic or not. So why be a catholic? Isn't it better to be an atheist and not have anything 'forced' on you? Being 'religious' is simply a genuine response to the Love and knowledge of God and his/her unflinching goodness. It's a voluntary response. It's an inadequate response but it's a good response.

I urge everyone, atheists and believers, to 'wonder' more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Yes, atheists are evil because we think outside the box and have our own belief system.

Bravo. You get a gold star for being unfathomably ignorant.

Yes, atheists are evil because we think outside the box and have our own belief system.

Could you explain what exactly is this atheist belief system?

Speaking as an atheist, I don't accept there's any such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Bravo. You get a gold star for being unfathomably ignorant.

Who are you talking to? The atheist who asked the original question in the OP?

Because I was raised in a Christian-majority country. I'm sure I'd be thanking Mohammad or Buddha or Vishnu if I were from another land. :)
    But you are an atheist now arent you?

What happened?

• Advertisement

But you are an atheist now arent you?

What happened?

Being raised in a country with a Christian majority doesn't mean one ever has to be one. I wouldn't really say I was ever religious in the sense that an adult is, but I've considered myself an unbeliever since I was 8.

Being raised in a country with a Christian majority doesn't mean one ever has to be one. I wouldn't really say I was ever religious in the sense that an adult is, but I've considered myself an unbeliever since I was 8.
    Communion age? Did you get confirmed etc.

Thats quite young to develop unbelief. Did you have a atholic upbringing ,mass attendence and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Could you explain what exactly is this atheist belief system?

Speaking as an atheist, I don't accept there's any such thing.

i believe personnaly that the whole religion thing is a story that used to entertain people in the olden days, the story never died out but just became more and more popular eventually leading to the biggest cult idea of all time.

that's my belief.

i believe personnaly that the whole religion thing is a story that used to entertain people in the olden days, the story never died out but just became more and more popular eventually leading to the biggest cult idea of all time.

that's my belief.

which religion is that.

2 small points
    1. I have only just realised that the only people to ever give me stick for being an atheist were almost all Christian. Never been questioned on this by any other religious type....
    2. I was raised Catholic (a la carte though), and since deciding I didn't believe in any of the religions or in the idea of God as traditionally thought of, I have had to re-assess my vocabulary, because it's amazing how much we are culturally influenced into using phraseology like "thank God".... I now use "thank goodness" which feels very much like one of the Famous Five (I'm Irish) but I'm noticing more and more vestiges of my Catholic upbringing in my vocab which I want to root out.
    Lastly I apologise to the OP for that last point being off topic and will stick to the topic in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If one more atheist visits this thread, doesn't bother reading the OP (written by an atheist), and criticises Christians for asking such a question, then I'm going to lock the thread.

2 small points

2. I was raised Catholic (a la carte though), and since deciding I didn't believe in any of the religions or in the idea of God as traditionally thought of, I have had to re-assess my vocabulary, because it's amazing how much we are culturally influenced into using phraseology like "thank God".... I now use "thank goodness" which feels very much like one of the Famous Five (I'm Irish) but I'm noticing more and more vestiges of my Catholic upbringing in my vocab which I want to root out.

how can you be an " a la carte" catholic you either subscribe to it or you dont.

methinks you were given a version of the religion growing up - which bears little resemblence to catholicism as practicising catholics know it.

as to using idiomatic language -well that seems to be a huge effort to avoid a dialect of english in your locality - you need lashings of ginger beer to be in the famous five

while ireland is different some countries such as the USA dont like pretend catholics.I dont and think the church would be far better off without them using up resources for a day out. some christians are proud of their religions and sometimes atheists offend albeit unwittingly .If someone makes jokey or blasphemous comments -I would tend to be robust in correcting thrm..

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

I think that the basic premise of all religions is more or less identical. It is only mans interpretation of how to practice these religions that differs.
    My own conclusion is that if you go way back to pre-historic times, there was no religion. As human intellect developed, they learnt how to sow seeds and relied on the seasons for their growth. When spring came they celebrated and thanked the sun and the earth for providing for them. These became annual events of thanksgiving and praise. Over time, names were given to, for example, the good sun and the bad sun depending on the harvest that year. This then developed into the various early Gods - fortune, misfortune, war, peace, etc. etc. As migration took place, stories were carried of different methods of praising these Gods, accepted by some, rejected by others. And so all modern religions were formed. I believe this to be the most logical explanation. It is quite possible that most atheists and agnostics also believe this. How does this make them evil?

whatisayis wrote: »
    I think that the basic premise of all religions is more or less identical. It is only mans interpretation of how to practice these religions that differs.
    My own conclusion is that if you go way back to pre-historic times, there was no religion. As human intellect developed, they learnt how to sow seeds and relied on the seasons for their growth. When spring came they celebrated and thanked the sun and the earth for providing for them. These became annual events of thanksgiving and praise. Over time, names were given to, for example, the good sun and the bad sun depending on the harvest that year. This then developed into the various early Gods - fortune, misfortune, war, peace, etc. etc. As migration took place, stories were carried of different methods of praising these Gods, accepted by some, rejected by others. And so all modern religions were formed. I believe this to be the most logical explanation. It is quite possible that most atheists and agnostics also believe this. How does this make them evil?
    It doesn't so much make them evil, they are evil by nature and that is why they come up with all the alternative realities to God. They suppress the knowledge of God that is witnessed to by the magnificence of the universe and in their conscience, and put in its place anything they are comfortable with.

The way I understand it, "evil" means completely lacking in good.

Nobody is completely lacking in good. Though sometimes some of our actions are evil.

I speak as a Catholic, who loves God and knows in his heart God loves everyone--equally, atheist or not, catholic or not. So why be a catholic? Isn't it better to be an atheist and not have anything 'forced' on you? Being 'religious' is simply a genuine response to the Love and knowledge of God and his/her unflinching goodness. It's a voluntary response. It's an inadequate response but it's a good response.

I urge everyone, atheists and believers, to 'wonder' more.
    The debate here does depend on the definition of 'evil'. By your definition Hitler was not evil. Only Satan and the demons would qualify.

Others use the term in the sense of being on the lower end of the spectrum of morality.

I use the term in the sense of man's morality in relation to God's standard for us.
    Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

So the New Testament is just all tosh then?
    No, the NT is the truth of God. It sets out fully the truths I have been articulating here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

[QUOTE=wolfsbane;58255234. They suppress the knowledge of God that is witnessed to by the magnificence of the universe and in their conscience, and put in its place anything they are comfortable with.[/QUOTE]

That's just speculation Wolfsbane, speculation of something you know nothing about. Show me proof that the sentance above is fact

The magnificence of the universe and our part in it only re-enforces the reasons for their being no interventionist god.
    If you are so vain to think this universe is "created" and you actually have a part to play in it you are madder than a box of frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

It doesn't so much make them evil, they are evil by nature and that is why they come up with all the alternative realities to God. They suppress the knowledge of God that is witnessed to by the magnificence of the universe and in their conscience, and put in its place anything they are comfortable with.

So, by that reasoning, anyone and everyone who lived in pre-Christian times was evil by nature?

whatisayis wrote: »
    So, by that reasoning, anyone and everyone who lived in pre-Christian times was evil by nature?
    Everyone from Adam's fall till now was born evil - except Christ, the Son of God.

studiorat wrote: »
    That's just speculation Wolfsbane, speculation of something you know nothing about. Show me proof that the sentance above is fact

The magnificence of the universe and our part in it only re-enforces the reasons for their being no interventionist god.
    If you are so vain to think this universe is "created" and you actually have a part to play in it you are madder than a box of frogs.
    I don't know what 'proof' you would accept, but I know the truth of this because I know the One who revealed it in His word and in my conscience. I also recongise this truth because I once lived it out as an unbeliever.

You look at the universe and see no God, but that is because you don't want to - you are opposed to Him in your heart and are happily blinded by Satan to what stares you in the face. Creation all around witnesses this to your conscience, but like every unbeliever you either say there is no God or invent one to suit yourself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement