Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hand held speed cameras don't work in the rain

• 09-11-2008 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

Just read this in the Sunday papers. Apparently the ones AGS use are unreliable in rain or poor visibility and so are not to be used in those conditions -- the times when sppeding is most dangerous. And there was me thinking it was because the Gardai didn't like getting wet:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

you serious.........:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The cars with ANPR and the talivans are able to be used in the rain AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

ART6 wrote: »
    Just read this in the Sunday papers. Apparently the ones AGS use are unreliable in rain or poor visibility and so are not to be used in those conditions -- the times when sppeding is most dangerous. And there was me thinking it was because the Gardai didn't like getting wet:D

Well, theres more of the tax payers money pis5ed away!
    I know this is very slightly off topic but can anyone tell me what are the different types of speed cameras used by the law and how can they catch you - can a hand held take a photo of you speeding?
    - If you spot the law pointing a hand held at you speeding, are they supposed to stop you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Apparently, from talking to a guard, unless your pulled in by one of the hand held one's you can't get caught. Others have different opinions on that.

@Op's post, no wonder we never see them out in the rain:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

kbannon wrote: »
    The cars with ANPR and the talivans are able to be used in the rain AFAIK

According to AGS, yes they can. So, if it's raining, look out for anmarked vans:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

According to AGS, yes they can. So, if it's raining, look out for anmarked vans:D

And at night, the new vans have low light optics for night use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know...............

Take all the vans, lob the speed guns into them and a couple of voting machines. It wont cost €5m a year to store the machines then. Just pay the road tax and the Insurance and park them in the empty spaces in their car parks after they charge their own employees for free parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Apparently, from talking to a guard, unless your pulled in by one of the hand held one's you can't get caught. Others have different opinions on that.

@Op's post, no wonder we never see them out in the rain:P

I received a speeding fine in the post and was not 'pulled in'.......75km in a 60km on Nass Road South Bound 11.15am Saturday morning,photo of my reg. on the letter and a statement of the speed recorded.
    I was not stopped by a Garda and therfore was not shown recorded speed at the scene.How do I know that the recorded speed is relevant to my car and that the recorded speed is accurate.The first I was aware of this was when I received the notice six weeks after the event.
    Are there speed cameras on that road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Dabko wrote: »
    Well, theres more of the tax payers money pis5ed away!
    I know this is very slightly off topic but can anyone tell me what are the different types of speed cameras used by the law and how can they catch you - can a hand held take a photo of you speeding?
    - If you spot the law pointing a hand held at you speeding, are they supposed to stop you?

Yes and no:

It depends if the camera hooked up to the micro digicam / lasercam

digicam-2.jpg

And Myth Busted on the speed gun in the rain , (the 1 time I was caught speeding WAS in the rain by the Ultralyte). The Ultralyte has a weather mode:

ulweatherbr1.jpg

The GATSO Van has limitations with rain and darkness,

But the New MultaRadar Cs has no such problems :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

port wrote: »
    I received a speeding fine in the post and was not 'pulled in'.......75km in a 60km on Nass Road South Bound 11.15am Saturday morning,photo of my reg. on the letter and a statement of the speed recorded.
    I was not stopped by a Garda and therfore was not shown recorded speed at the scene.How do I know that the recorded speed is relevant to my car and that the recorded speed is accurate.The first I was aware of this was when I received the notice six weeks after the event.

GATSO van is commonly parked up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

port wrote: »

white gatso van blacked out rear windows(illegal i might add) with a little square cut out for the camers on the drivers side rear window. if u get close enough u can see the camera lens but by that stage your either caught or going too slow to be caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

white gatso van blacked out rear windows(illegal i might add)

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

So for the majority of the year they cannot be used. Says it all about the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

illegal i might add

How is it illegal? Its a van, and there are a lot of vans with no back windows. Aren't wing mirrors legally enough?

noblestee wrote: »
    How is it illegal? Its a van, and there are a lot of vans with no back windows. Aren't wing mirrors legally enough?

Safety cameras as they are called and meant to be capable of being covert and overt.

Both methods will be used, as the mobile cameras will be capable of
    operating in either fashion. The decision on how a camera will operate at a particular
    site will be decided by the Garda Síochána. In the first year, 20% of observations
    should be overt and 80% covert, with this mix to be reviewed after the first year of
    operation

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/safetycameras.pdf/Files/safetycameras.pdf

Safety cameras as they are called and meant to be capable of being covert and overt.

Both methods will be used, as the mobile cameras will be capable of
    operating in either fashion. The decision on how a camera will operate at a particular
    site will be decided by the Garda Síochána. In the first year, 20% of observations
    should be overt and 80% covert, with this mix to be reviewed after the first year of
    operation

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/safetycameras.pdf/Files/safetycameras.pdf

So they have the van door open for an hour, showing off the camera, and closed for the next 4 hours, sorted

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

white gatso van blacked out rear windows(illegal i might add) with a little square cut out for the camers on the drivers side rear window. if u get close enough u can see the camera lens but by that stage your either caught or going too slow to be caught
    Nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

In fairness i think they have speed camera signs on the Irish motorways for fixed ones right ?

Its hard to miss them in other countries:

c80d6b7f-05d3-4e67-ab67-64bb70345a8f_trajectcontrole.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

last year i was talking to a friend of mine who is a magistrate in a court in the uk --and he told me that if you hang a CD disc from the rear view mirror it deflects the speed camera signal--i know most asian drivers in the uk do this-any ideas on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

getz wrote: »
    last year i was talking to a friend of mine who is a magistrate in a court in the uk --and he told me that if you hang a CD disc from the rear view mirror it deflects the speed camera signal--i know most asian drivers in the uk do this-any ideas on this?

It doesn't work. At all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

last year i was talking to a friend of mine who is a magistrate in a court in the uk --and he told me that if you hang a CD disc from the rear view mirror it distracts your attention from the road and looks damn stupid--i know most asian drivers in the uk do this-any ideas on this?

Corrected that for you

craichoe wrote: »
    Corrected that for you

Suck a coin when you are drink driver. It magically makes you sober. :D

Mythbusters proved the CD trick (along with a lot of other tricks) just doesn't work.

@quirke, that coin thing doesnt work, a bag of chips with loads of vinegar can mask up to 15 pints. I heard that from a taxi driver's personal experience, so it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Unfortunately this doesn't work, but using a 5" wide brush to coat your car in Black Hammerite does!*

Becuase the Gardai are soo busy laughing at a p1$$ poor attempt to avoid speeding tickets they can't keep the camera steady to get a lock.

*may not actually work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Has anyond ever seen the Guards doing a speed check when it's dark?
    If their equipment is supposedly non-functional in the rain then it must be completely useless at night?

(I love going out for a drive on the motorway in the small hours, just me, my music and the road- great stress reliever!!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The guards are barely ever out on the motorway when it's bright, so I wouldn't worry about them being bothered to go out when it's dark and miserable. I've only seen one on a motorway so far this year, and I drive the length of the M4, M6 and M7 every other week. Fast single carriageway roads, or urban dual carriageways are their preferred habitats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Doesnt really matter if the cameras dont work, i have never seen the gardai doing a speedcheck in the rain and have only ever seen them once at night.
    Crazy when you think about it, the two most dangerous times to be driving ( night and rain) and your very unlikely to have your speed checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Doesnt really matter if the cameras dont work, i have never seen the gardai doing a speedcheck in the rain and have only ever seen them once at night.
    Crazy when you think about it, the two most dangerous times to be driving ( night and rain) and your very unlikely to have your speed checked.

Exaclty. Imagine going along in the pissing rain, only to just about see a yellow figure out on the road infront of you waving you in lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Exaclty. Imagine going along in the pissing rain, only to just about see a yellow figure out on the road infront of you waving you in lol.

A bit off-topic, but I remember a story going round years ago during the troubles in the North -- a guy driving along on a wet day, cop steps out pointing a radar gun. Guy thinks he's being assassinated and runs the cop down. Probably untrue, but it's a hell of a way of avoiding a ticket.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 leeroy12000

ok..........

so whats the story then??
    do guards use hand held cameras that take pictures of you??

was overtaking out by the airport in waterford today and im sure i saw a blue chap half behind a fense and half hidden in da bushes taking my picture...

also do those things flash during the daylight?????

hand held cameras, yaa or naa???????

think im off the road with this one.........:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

ok..........

so whats the story then??
    do guards use hand held cameras that take pictures of you??

was overtaking out by the airport in waterford today and im sure i saw a blue chap half behind a fense and half hidden in da bushes taking my picture...

also do those things flash during the daylight?????

hand held cameras, yaa or naa???????

think im off the road with this one.........:(
    What were you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 leeroy12000

overaking in excess of the speed limit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Lol!!!

Gullible spelt backwards is orange...

:D

Advertisement