Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test Tomorrow - No car!!

Options
  • 09-11-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Just after receiving a text from my girlfriend saying her mum has told her that the car's NCT is out of date. Her test is at midday tomorrow! She doesn't wantto do it in the instructors car because its years since she's driven one an says she won't be used to it? Any suggestions? She's drives a 1.2 polo if that's any use? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I'd suggest she get any car she can get her hands on, especially if the test is tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

macroman wrote: »
    I'd suggest she get any car she can get her hands on, especially if the test is tomorrow!

Second that.

She might not have driven in years but at least if she does it in the instructors car she might pass it.
    Try to get pre test lesson, might be abit late for that but two minutes after driving the instructors car she be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭SeanW

Low cc Polos must be among the hardest cars to drive, if your gf can drive one she can probably drive most anything else. I concur with the above advice, pre-test plus instructors car.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrivingMad

At least with the instructors car there will be no issue with insurance either.
    Hope it all goes well for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

why is she going for a driving test if she hasn't driven in years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

why is she going for a driving test if she hasn't driven in years?

She hasn't driven her instructor's car in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

SeanW wrote: »
    Low cc Polos must be among the hardest cars to drive, if your gf can drive one she can probably drive most anything else. I concur with the above advice, pre-test plus instructors car.

Just out of interest why do ya say that?

And Eamos did your missus pass?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭SeanW

by default, low cc petrol cars require more skill to drive because you don't have the standing rev to hold the engine at super-slow speeds or when you're not on the accelerator.
    On the other hand, with higher cc engines, especially diesel, like what your average instructor uses, the engine maintains enough rev so that it stays above the minimum RPM in almost all cases - for example if you are in a stationary position, disengage all brakes, go into 1st and get off the pedals, the high cc diesel will start moving forward, whereas the Polo's engine will fall below minimum rev and stall.
    The same maneuvre therefore requires intelligent use of the accelerator co-ordinated with release of the clutch to the bite, and then full off.
    The average instructors car will only stall if you slam on the brakes while in gear or something like that.

The 2nd thing a learning VW (Polo) driver has against them is the gearbox. An "easy" gearbox will have the following general configuration:
    R 2 4
    1 3 5
    and indeed if you buy AA Ireland's book on how to pass your test, this is the gearbox they demonstrate. With a VW on the other hand you have something like this:
    R 1 3 5
    - 2 4
    where you have to push the gear stick down to access the Reverse gear.
    Polos in particular are known to have some problems with gearboxes, especially early 2000s models.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

SeanW wrote: »
    by default, low cc petrol cars require more skill to drive because you don't have the standing rev to hold the engine at super-slow speeds or when you're not on the accelerator.
    On the other hand, with higher cc engines, especially diesel, like what your average instructor uses, the engine maintains enough rev so that it stays above the minimum RPM in almost all cases - for example if you are in a stationary position, disengage all brakes, go into 1st and get off the pedals, the high cc diesel will start moving forward, whereas the Polo's engine will fall below minimum rev and stall.
    The same maneuvre therefore requires intelligent use of the accelerator co-ordinated with release of the clutch to the bite, and then full off.
    The average instructors car will only stall if you slam on the brakes while in gear or something like that.

The 2nd thing a learning VW (Polo) driver has against them is the gearbox. An "easy" gearbox will have the following general configuration:
    R 2 4
    1 3 5
    and indeed if you buy AA Ireland's book on how to pass your test, this is the gearbox they demonstrate. With a VW on the other hand you have something like this:
    R 1 3 5
    - 2 4
    where you have to push the gear stick down to access the Reverse gear.
    Polos in particular are known to have some problems with gearboxes, especially early 2000s models.

Cool, thanks for the reply. was just wonderin cos i learned, passed my test and am still drivin in a 00 polo (think its the late model though) Tbh when i was in my instructors car, a punto, it all did seem easier, especially the gears. But now im so used to the auld Polo that drivin me mate's 08 fiesta is like drivin a computer or somethin, doesn't feel real if ya know what im sayin!

Advertisement