Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now I'm Running...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

10 miles 79 min - goos first 8 miles struggled with a strong (and cold) headwind for the 2. This is only the 2nd 10 miler i've done since DCM.

5 miles in 39:30 - very windy out (I hate running into a headwind). Hoping to get out for some more half mile intervals on Sunday morning and then probably only do 1 run next week have'nt really taken a break since February. So planning nothing for next week if I run I run.

Weight is now down to 175lbs...lightest I've been in a loooonng time.

Only getting to update this now headed out for 8 x .5 miles this morning, battery on the garmin died luckly I always keep a cheapo digital watch with a stopwatch in my kit bag. End result still averaged 3:10 per half mile over the 8. The first four seemed harder that the last four.

Not planning anything for the rest of this week, if I feel like running and I can then I will

Ok so I've been getting a few pokes from a certain few people around these parts as to where I've got to (you know who you are...;)). Well I've still been running just took a week off over Christmas, which btw didn't seem to benefit me either good or bad. For the last few weeks i've been keeping a good base of miles per week.

Been consistantly swimming 2-3 good session per week at at least 3 weight sessions per week. All of which have benefitted me emormously.

Anyway back to the running here a quick overview of the last 4 weeks or so

Date Time Dist Pace
    30-Dec 00:38:10 5 0:07:38
    31-Dec 00:43:33 5.4 0:08:04
    02-Jan 00:52:42 6.1 0:08:38

05-Jan 00:39:00 5 0:07:48
    07-Jan 00:46:56 6.2 0:07:34
    09-Jan 00:47:30 6 0:07:55

12-Jan 00:46:16 6.22 0:07:26
    14-Jan 00:39:00 5 0:07:48
    16-Jan 00:39:00 5 0:07:48
    18-Jan 02:12:13 15.57 0:08:30

20-Jan 00:46:38 6.3 0:07:24
    22-Jan 00:43:01 6.2 0:06:56 (PB)
    25-Jan 00:20:13 3 0:06:44 (intervals 3x1 sh1t conditions more like XC)

26-Jan 00:39:30 5 0:07:54

Not really putting myself under any preassure with a heavy training load these days more of less running every second day. Berlin is the big one this year so plenty of time before the heavy load starts.

Did one long run back last sunday week of about 15.5 in preparation for Dugarvan absolutely horrible conditions with rain, hail and sleet and ice cold wind, but was pleasantly surprised as to how good I felt the next day. The strength gained from swimming and weight seems to have helped my recovery a lot.

Started on 1 mile intervals yesterday but the route was waterlogged and the weather atrucious but its a start, really got the benfit from the half mile intervals I was doing pre xmas.

A few easy enought 5-6 milers planned for this week and then its the Dungarvan 10 mile on Sunday. On the first post I targetted 75 min for 10 but I should run close to 72, if everything is right on the day I would'nt be surprised to go under 70.

Good to see everybody training away been dropping in and out every so often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Welcome back to the land of the living. You seem to be ticking over nicely with your training times. Look forward to seeing you in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi ike good to hear from ya

Great day for a run a touch of spring in the air - trying to cut back on my dependancy on the garmin and have been running most of my runs based on feeling...

Covered 7.5 miles in 58:30, easy run 5 or so planned for tomorrow and no more till race day on Sunday.

5miles 40min opted for the threadmill - thats its till race day on Sunday.

On the first post I put a target of sub 75 for 10 miles I need to revise that down a bit now, clocked myself today at 71:15 for the race, think i predicted 71 or 72 so not far off.

Conditions were bitterly cold at the start but one I got running I did'nt find it too bad apart from the last three miles where the wind was either full on of side on. But still it was nice to run on a flat course for once. I ran fairly consistant varying between 7:00/mile and 7:14/mile just could'nt seem to get below 7 just could'nt pick it up over the last 3.

Anyway is early in the year and a sub 70 for 10 is now the obvious target. Can also revise my half marathon from 1:40:00 to 1:35:00

It was a great event with huge turn out but still had the feel of a local race and everything was spot on.

• Advertisement

5 miles on the threadmill in 41min just to ease me back into it after Sunday. Was nice enough for an outside run but didn't have a warm top with me!

Weight session at home tonight.

Still feeling tired after Sunday. Today was a planned rest day opted for a swim - Swam 570m.

7.5 miles (59:23) Nice run legs are feeling really achy this week but a bit better after today. It was cold but I had plenty of layers on so I didn't really feel it.

Todays word = Refreshing

5.4 miles (42:17) incorporating 2 nice hills. As said before getting less and less dependant on the Garmin only check it mainly for distance.

I was concerned about how my legs were feeling this week but couldn't point to a cause but when I was checking back on my main training log last night I had started doing Squats and Lunges into the weight training this week and I've probably disturbed some lazy muscles.

Todays Run = Lovely

Bucketing down with snow here for most of the morning which I wasn't expecting - wasn't planning on heading for a run but my wife held off going in to work for a few hours as the road's were pretty bad so I made the most of the opportunity and grabbed 5 miles around the GAA complex.

Todays Run = Unexpected.

7.5 miles on a hilly route (about 3 miles of ascent/desent) kept 7:45/7:50 pace on the ups and downs and pushed close to 7:10/7:00 on the flat, good workout enjoyed it.

Todays run = Hilly

• Advertisement

9.5 miles in 1:13 slighty different route but a good one in that I can turn up a few side road an add on a few extra miles as required. Felt almost like summer out there

Weight session last night definately feeling stronger been consistantly doing this for 3 nights per week for the last 2 months. Can't say if it benefits the running but it definately feels like it does. Its mainly upper body work, shoulders, arms, chest, but i've started on squats and lunges in the last 2 weeks. Just for the craic I tried to do some pushups last night and knocked out 30 without even feeling it

Todays Run = Warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

As a matter of interest, how do you structure your weights sessions into running?

Do you:
    a) Do two sessions in one day (one session run, one session weights)
    b) Do one big session (weights and run combined, not at the same time of course :) - e.g. run to/from gym and do weights)
    c) Do weights on rest days

...or a combination of these?

Generally on rest days:

At the moment I try to run on Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri.

And do weights on Tues, Thur, Sat,

I generally do a swim on Tue, Thur if I can.

Apart from Sundays, the running/swimming does'nt get in the way of life/home and the weights I usually do a night time after everythig has settled down at home etc probably from 9:00 onwards

This would be an ideal week cos I get a rest of at least a day from each activity. It dosen't always work out that way though so I'd sacrifice weight/swim if I could get a run in... my theory behind it was that I wasn't going to feel tired on any day. Later in the year I'll be upping the milage and running on consecutive days so I may have to reorganise.

400m swimming was feeling a bit tired had hoped to do another 200 lengths but hadn't the energy.

Weight session tonight

Great run today conditions were near perfect - I've ran on colder days last summer!

Did 10k in 47:17 - one of those runs where I felt really strong and in control, averaged 6:50/mile for the last 1.2 miles. Was feeling a bit tired and achy legs for most of this week but todays session seemed to blow all that away. In terms of running really happy with where I am now have a long run planned for Sunday morning. Time to start upping the mileage a bit.

Order an new pair of Mizuno's yesterday, the current pair have over 525miles on them more like flats than runners at this stage. I'm going to order a 2nd pair in a few weeks time to keep 2 on the go and rotate them.

Today's run = Easy

• Advertisement

16 miles today in 2:07:24 average pace 7:57, the plan was to do 15 miles averaging 8:00/mile. The route let us add on a extra mile so we kept going - felt good and never struggled to maintain the pace at any stage, the last 5 miles averaged faster than the first 10 so I didn't weaken in the last third. Very happy to be able cover that distance this early in the season.

Conditions were near perfect again for running. Brings me to over 38 miles for week wil no ill effects, not bad for someone only ticking over.

Todays run = Long

5 miles 42:10 average 8:26/mile.

Recovery run today after yesterdays long run, still trying to run based on 'feel' rather than what the watch says, so basically if I felt I was going too hard on the legs I eased off. At no stage did I feel under any preassure with the pace. At the start I would have planned to run @ 8:30 pace and thats more or less how it worked out.

Todays run = Recovery

6.2 miles 43:49 average 7:04/mile

Fast run planned today wanted to have a crack at beating my PB for 5miles, so I just used the first 1.2 as a warmup and then crack on with the 5, still took me 2 more miles to get into sub 7:00 pace, averaged 6:38 for the last 2 miles

Once I got into the rhythm the pace felt good over the last 3 miles, certainly blew away any remaining cobwebs I had after the weekends run.

Managed 34:51 for the 5 which equalled my previous PB

Todays Run = Fast

good stuff ike
    great pace for a training run

Cheers SUNGOD - don't get the chance to enter enough races so I give it a lash on training days every few weeks. A PB is a PB no matter where you run it.

Are you doing the 10k in Dungarvan on Sunday week?

not sure ike, if i do it will be at a leisurely pace as it will be just before my taper.
    or i might just go as a spectator if Sosa and a couple of my friends decide to do it.

i take it your going to do it?

Hope to give it a crack alright SUNGOD.

Rest day today, swam 570m - felt good was much more relaxed in the water.

10.5 miles 1:23:43 average 7:58

Felt good for the first 6 miles but legs got very achy for the last 5 - still kept a steady pace throughtout. In fairness I have upped the miles last week and did a hard 5 on Wed, just need to give it more time to adjust.

Planning on some mile intervals on Sunday.

Todays Run = OK

3 x 1 Mile intervals with .25 mile rest - opted for a quarter miles recovery intead of a 4 min rest - seemed to make the transistion between rest and interval a bit easier in that I wasn't startnig from an almost stationary position ( in saying that I wasn;t exactly moving too fast on the rest phase.

1 Mile Warmup
    Mile 1: 6:30
    .25 mile rest
    Mile 2: 6:29
    .25 rest
    Mile 3: 6:32
    2 mile cooldown

Very happy with these times and the consistancy I was averaging 3:10 per half before Xmas so they seem about right. Was going to throw in a 4th int felt it was a step too far.

6.5 miles covered in all this morning.

Todays run = Tough

Had to do an early run this morning as I won't be able to get out at lunchtime due to a work thing. Hit the gym this morning nothing too strenous 5 miles at about 8:45/mile pace.

Todays run = Early

• Advertisement

10 slow miles today in about 1:28:00 averaging around 8:48/mile.

Had arranged to meet up with a mate of mine for the 2nd half of his LSR. Suited us both, he needed someone to keep him going and I wanted to take it easy.

Todays Run = Slow

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Hi Ike,

You have been putting in some serious work this last fortnight. I remember at one stage we were neck and neck in the 1000 mile challenge and now you seem to be moving well ahead. Great motivation for me to get out and run :D

Thanks stmochtas, yeah I upped the miles a bit in the last few weeks - was only ticking over at about 20 miles per week for the last few months and just needed to shake it up a bit. Really having a serious go at Berlin this year and its never too early to start.

a few things...

My garmin gave up on tuesday :(
    Its still under warrenty tho :)
    Will be without it for a few weeks :(
    No problem borrowing one from a mate :)
    Plans for Dungarvan this Sunday got scuppered :(
    Got my new Mizunos this morning :)

5 miles (41:00) easy pace to break in the new runners no issues to report. Taking it a good bit easier pace wise this week and feeling all the better for it.

Todays Run = Easy
    Todays Effort = Easy

7.6 miles in 59:44 average 7:52 per mile -threw in a 6:50 pace mile to finish which felt really good. Second run in the new runners and they already feel fully broken in. Nothing much else to report

Todays Run = Good
    Todays Effort = Average

Had no watch of any description to use to day. Ran my ususal 10k route - felt a bit stuck to the ground for the first 2 miles settled in comfortably for the 3.5 and faded a bit for the last .5 or so.

No idea of time but it felt like a 44:30 around 7:10 pace. Trying to concentrate on form a bit more and just relax instead of tensing up when going faster.

Today Run = Good
    Todays Effort = Average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Sounds very zen Ike. There's probably a lot to be said for it.

LOL...Probably does alright would loved to have checked my pace in those middle 3 miles felt I was really shifting along without killing myself.

Don't really buy into the Chi-running thing but I've seen the video and it does make sense in parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

ike wrote: »
    LOL...Probably does alright would loved to have checked my pace in those middle 3 miles felt I was really shifting along without killing myself.

Don't really buy into the Chi-running thing but I've seen the video and it does make sense in parts.

Keep it up ike. Coming on leaps and bounds.
    Hoping to see you break the big 7 0 at the weekend.........

About time you copped who I was...;)

village runner is the guy I train every so often. I'm also the one who bet him an all you can eat lunch in Eddie Rockets if he goes under 3 in Rotterdam :D...his training over the last 6 months has me putting the cash aside already - he can put away even more food than I can :D

• Advertisement

5 threadmill miles in 40 mins - bucketing down with rain here.

Todays Run = Boring
    Todays Effort = Average

8.3 miles on an out and back route was lovely going out but had a very strong wind full on in my face on the way back felt like running through treacle, made it tougher than it really was.

Todays run = Windy
    Todays Effort = Hard

Excellent run today went under 70 for 10 miles for the first time - got that monkey off my back at last. Clocked myself at 69:05 although the chip may add a few seconds to that. (chip time 69:28)

Knew I was capable of breaking that just needed to get it into my head, I ran 71:40 in Dungarvan a few weeks previous and just couldn't get any mile under 7 mins. Plan today was to attack from the start and with the slight downhill over the first few miles get to mile 3 under 21 min and push on to mile 5 under 35mins, miles 5 & 6 were the only blip @ 7:00 and 7:02, clocked the last mile in 6:38 :cool: was well pleased with that being uphill and all.

Its early in the year but at least it show the training plan is going to plan.

Todays Run = Fast
    Todays Effory = Hard

5 mile recovery run today - opted to take yesterday off - legs very achy after ballycotton, didn't bring the watch but at a rough guesstimate was around 43-44 min, felt comfortable enough wasn't really looking forward to it, but got into it quick enough.

Todays run = Recovery
    Todays Effort = Comfortable

First time in a long time I went for an run after work - lovely evening felt like a summers evening rather than early March.

Ran 10K averaging 7:30/mile - a bit faster than I had planned but it felt comfortable so I just let it flow. Seemed to had recovered a good deal better after Balllycotton than I did a month ago at Dungarvan, will still take it relatively easy for the bext few runs.

Todays Run = Comfortable
    Todays Effort = Comfortable

Not been running since Wednesday have a bit of a stomach bug - so been doing running of a differnet kind :o Might try a few easy miles this evening or hold out until the morning.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed it but since I've kept up the training over the winter I've haven't had sight nor sound of a cold/flu bug. I've always been guaranteed to get at least one over the winter but not this year.

• Advertisement

5 miles this morning on grass first run since Wednesday evening, bit of a struggle at time but overall a good run - no idea of time was probably around 8:00 pace.

Been pretty zonked over the last few days with the stomach bug had to go to bed this afternoon and sleep for a few hours.

Still feeling a bit drained and tired will give it another day and if there's no improvment will get myself checked out.

Went for 4 miles on the threadmill at 8:00/mile and it was more of an effort than it should have been.

8.3 miles in 67min averaging around 8:04 first proper run since getting the bug. Felt OK wasn't exactly skipping around the road struggled a bit over the last 2 miles. In hindsight I probably should have aimed for 6 miles.

Todays Run = OK
    Todays Effort = OK

Took advantage of some time off work yesterday and the fine weather and did a good 8 mile hike in the moutains. Gave the legs a serious workout could really feel the quads and calves working. I'm hoping to climb Mont Blanc later this summer so I need to throw in a bit of strenuous hiking every so often.

Hit the road this morning for 10k felt a bit sluggish for the first 2 miles, no doubt after yesterday but got into my groove from then on. Nice run averaged 7:45/mile. Been a low milage week this week but just wasn't up to it earlier in the week.

Weighed myself in the gym this morning and hit the scales at 12st 12lbs

Getting a full replacment from www.dabs.ie on the garmin after it went belly up a new one should be in my hands early next week.

Todays Run = Good
    Todays Effort = Easy.

5 miles at around 12 o'clock roughly timed at around 41 min. Ran on grass

• Advertisement
Advertisement