Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the phone is slowly wiping out the camera....

• 09-11-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

there ave been major advancements in mobile phones recently, do people think they'll take the everyday plpace of a camera?
    and even after the battle of " phone or camera" there is ...The battle between the phones
    what do ye think?
    anyone tried one of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 slx

Yes and no, the major problem I find with camera phones is that most of them have exposed lenses and end up producing muddy shots due to gunking up or scratches.

They are handy as you've always got a camera in your pocket, but most of the current phones aren't really capable of providing good quality images, although it is improving with higher resolutions and improved camera functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I would say no, as the optics needed to make a good camera cannot be put into a mobile phone without increasing the size, thus making your mobile phone almost camera size.

I would say that the difference between a good camera and a good camera in a mobile phone will become less distinguishable, but those who want to take decent pictures without worrying about the end result will opt for a camera, instead of a phone with a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I use my phones camera a lot. Be nice to have better quality but it does the job. 2mb with autofocus and macro mode. Some people don't. Horses for courses. I use it take photos of ads, notices and even documents. Very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

not sure but the pic my k800i takes is really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Nobody will ever fit a decent SLR type lense into a mobile phone. unless its some sort of huge satellite phone. I'd be all for that

for phones anyway more megapixels = more noise. maybe ordinary people won't buy as many standalone cameras but anyone who is the slightest bit of a photography enthousiast will

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The phone is giving more people a camera in their pocket at all times for taking quick snaps with. It's not replacing cameras though, just putting more of them out there.

A phone camera is never going to replace an SLR camera, and although some people may not bother with the smaller point-and-shoot ones now and use their phones instead, they still have a way to go before they even completely defeat the point of those types of cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm really not that in to cameras. I don't own one, but I might have bought one by now if there was no such thing as camera phones. It's not that I don't like taking pictures, just don't like having to premeditate when I'm going to want to do that, and bring the camera with me.

A decent camera would be one of the first things I look for in a phone really. I had the k750i and have the Samsung u600 currently. Both are fine for taking photos in natural light. At night though they're awful. Have seen some of the new high end Sonys and Samsungs and the cameras on those look to be pretty decent. Couple that with a decent sized hard drive, or just a decent sized memory card, decent mp3/divx playing software, and a 3.5mm headphone input jack and I could throw away my mp3 player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Camera/phones are good for close up sanps in brightly areas, I dont really see them as an alternative to a decent camera for taking good pictures excepting the one below

camera-phone.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

No one in this thread has an iPhone then... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No one in this thread has an iPhone then... :p

If you want a decent camera you wouldn't get an iphone. Or accept thats it poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

the iphone is a piece of crap in so many ways...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

towel401 wrote: »
    the iphone is a piece of crap in so many ways...
    What's the matter? Did the bird in the O2 shop not ring you back? :p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When a camera phone can take a picture like this, come back to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

cameras are defo taking a hit from the more recent phones imho. It will probably never bother slr cameras but for your standard folk who just want to print some pics out to show friends and would be happy with a disposable then the more recent 5mp + cameras in phones are going to suit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't think they will have much of an impact. I've never been impressed with most camera phones past the 3.2 megapixel K800i. Even the C902 isn't much of an upgrade. The iPhone has an excellent 2MP camera, but it's not a great camera overall. I can take some great pictures, but for the most part, I'd want a proper camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Basically, imo, for a certain type of user, camera phones will replace the camera. They're only going to get better in the future too. Yes they'll never be slr quality, but they'll be good enough for a lot of people who aren't big into cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

i agree, phones are getting better at taking downwards shots at piles of mouths and hair in some random club on a saturday night. But for anyone whos actully takes proper pictures it will never replace them, sure even digital slr's havnt replaced the manual ones yet.

Advertisement