Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever wake up temperarly paralysed?

Options
  • 09-11-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever wake up and not be able to move? ie cant even lift your head off the pillow?

It hasn't happened to me in over a year now but I experenced it about 4 -5 times over say two years. Was a horrible experience.

Im not sure if I wake up fully or not, but its definatly not a dream. I might be still half asleep, with my eyes closed but Im concious of my surroundings, and know whats happening. Id be trying to lift my head up off the pillow, sometimes my face would be face down in the pillow to the point where I cant breath and I would get really warm and start panicing...and only at the very last second, when I am completly out of breath and feel im going to go unconcious do I finally regain control of my body, and suddenly have the strenght to lift my body off the bed and gasp for air.

Sounds like a dream or a nightmare I know but its not. Sometimes id lye there paralysed and focus all my strenght on even moving a single finger, and that takes so much just to do. Nothing scarier than not being able to move. I was proberbly around 14/15 when this used to happen.

Anyone ever even heard of anything like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 apathetic84

it has happened to me many times before. Knowing I'm fully awake i keep on feeling someone threatening to me is in the room and I cannot move. It is very scary. I am fully alert but unable to move or speak.

It passes very quickly but it is not a very nice experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 apathetic84

stay clam when it happens and it will pass.

Just wondering when does this happen to you?
    Are you after having particularly stressful day?
    Or anxious??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

this happened to me a couple of weeks ago, even when i did eventullly get sitting up, could not work out had i been really dreaming, or genuinaly could not move

scary stuff at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Its called sleep paralysis and it's fairly common. Actually happened me last nite, its really freaky when it does.

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Wow must say Im quite relieved to see im not the only one who's experienced it. Was a bit worried about ending up permently paralysed or something.

Couldnt tell you when its happening (ie after a stressfull day or whatever) because its so long ago since it happened last.

Although it did panic me at the start after a couple of times I just focused on breathing in and out slowly. Thanks for the link. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

think this is fairly common, happens me on occasion especially when its pitch dark when i wake up. wake up not knowing where i am and cant move, always get this terrible feeling ive been buried alive and when i can eventually move i scramble round the room (coffin) trrying to get out! truely terryifying stuff til i eventually snap out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

yeah, had it twice now, in the past two years so it a recent occurance. On both situations I felt another presence is there. Very weird feeling, I knew I was fully awake but couldn't move...very frustrating feeling.

Whilst reading the above link, one reason is different sleep schedules,that makes sense because I work watches on ships, 4 hours on, 8 hours off. i.e. average 4 hours sleep at a time.

Advertisement