Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a little question about Leavin certs...

Options
  • 09-11-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi everyone!!
    I'm from Brazil, name's Natália Danzmann and I've got a crazy question to ask you :P
    ok, I'll be strict to the point: let's suppose I was going to Ireland for the 1st time when I finish secondary school. Would I be able to do leaving certs exam there? or would I have to study 3 years of secondary school in Ireland to do so?
    And no, it's not a joke. I really would like to know if a foreigner is allowed to do it or would I need some kind of "studying visa"??

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You could come over and do it in 1 year by going straight into 6th Year, some girl in my class from Russia done that.

Have alook at the past exam papers http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=type and see if you'd able to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Hi everyone!!
    I'm from Brazil, name's Natália Danzmann and I've got a crazy question to ask you :P
    ok, I'll be strict to the point: let's suppose I was going to Ireland for the 1st time when I finish secondary school. Would I be able to do leaving certs exam there? or would I have to study 3 years of secondary school in Ireland to do so?
    And no, it's not a joke. I really would like to know if a foreigner is allowed to do it or would I need some kind of "studying visa"??

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Well if you have covered all what you need to, you more than likely just need to register for the exams and sit them.

That said it'd probably be best to have a year of teaching here.

Also the leaving cert is a two year course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 TheDublinMan

It doesn't matter where your from whether it's Ireland or Brazil.
    There are 1 year and 2 year courses in the leaving cert available in various schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yeah you can.

And the Leaving Cert can be done in a year if you're committed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Do you mean study in Brazil and sit the Irish leaving cert? Yeah it's possible, there are no rules against it, but you'd want to get familiar with the various syllabi to make sure you know what you have to learn for the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

If you've covered a lot of the stuff in your school at home you'd be well able to do it in a year. you'd probably be able to do it in a year anyway but you'd have to put in a lot of work and effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

if English isn't a problem for you then i don't see any problems
    however, as ppl above have said i would recommend to stay in 6th year for an year just to to be familiar with the courses and exampapers..

i am not saying it can not be done, i know 2 ppl who went straight in to 5th yr with little english and managed to do ok ...

i don't know why would you like to do the LC in ireland,if you really want to come to ireland for college i think you could do some IELTS test , if you get above some thing like 6.0 or 7.0 you could get accepted by irish colleges, now i am not too sure about how it works///:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

Yep you can no problem atal!! The leaving cert is a doddle just most irish people still cant pass it!! if u are committed to studying for a year solid ud do fine!! and if english is a problem you could get help from ur school here in ireland!! good luck to ya anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

if you are coming here to live it won't be a problem sitting the leaving cert. However if you are planning on using it to attend college in Ireland afterwards you will probably have to pay fees to attend. Currently Irish students do not have to pay college fees but for foreign students applying to college in Ireland to be exempt from fees they must be in second level education for a minimum amount of time, i think it might be 3 years.... sitting the exam though, that won't be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sweet16yiskah

yes you can sit straight in leaving cert... it depends on you actually..
    as they have said above. it is advisable if you can sit at least a year to know about the syllabus for the exam but if possible sit the 2 years for the leaving cert. however, if your a Non-EU and want to sit on leaving cert in order to get into the colleges here in Ireland. you need to study for 3 years to get an EU rate for college. so therefore, you need to go to 4th - 6th year or you can go to 5th year then do leaving cert but you still need another year to study in a fetac course to make it 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Irlandesaaa

Piste wrote: »
    Do you mean study in Brazil and sit the Irish leaving cert? Yeah it's possible, there are no rules against it, but you'd want to get familiar with the various syllabi to make sure you know what you have to learn for the exams.

Go raibh míle maith agat leis an eolas!!! (thanks for the information) :D

...tá Gaeilge agam agus níl scrúduithe Gaeilge sa Bhrasail :P tá orm téigh go hÉirinn lá éigin, is dócha :rolleyes:
    go raibh maith agaibh leis an eolas ar aon nós

(I speak Irish and there are no exams for that in Brazil...perhaps I have to go to Ireland someday)
    thanks for the help anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Are you brazilian and just decided to learn Irish for the sake of it? That's pretty cool! Do you want to sit a full Leaving Cert over here (6-8 subjects would be the norm) or is it just Irish you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

That's pretty cool. I met a Korean man who spoke fluent Irish, twas deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

If it's just Irish you want to do, and you've already got a decent enough grasp on the language, you'd be well able to do it in a year.
    You wouldn't necessarily have to do it in a secondary school. There are VECs dotted around the place that have leaving cert courses you can do in a year. (Generally, they're designed for people who are repeating, but lots of first timers do them as well.)

It's awesome that you speak Irish! :D I can't imagine there are many Irish language resources abroad, it must have been difficult to learn.

Ar aon nós, Go n'éirí leat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Firstly, you've better Irish than I do. Fair play...but that was never really hard :(

Secondly - I'm not sure how many subjects you usually study in Brazil, but for the leaving cert its usually 6-7 minimum. Although you can do as many as possible if you wanted to (and are completly insane).

You definatly need to know the syllabus for subjects.

But while it is do-able, if it were me i'd be staying in Brazil! You actually get sunshine :( :pac:

Piste wrote: »
    Are you brazilian and just decided to learn Irish for the sake of it? That's pretty cool! Do you want to sit a full Leaving Cert over here (6-8 subjects would be the norm) or is it just Irish you want?
    hm...yeah, almost true, I'd say (excuse my poor English...I'd rather speak Irish but it's not everyone who can understand^^) actually I'm asking about leaving certs coz it would b fierce important for my curriculum but I'd luv to know about Gaeilge exams eile xDD
    I'm "Irish" since child, I speak an understandable Gaeilge, most friends of mine are from Ireland and it's not a family tradition at all. What else can I say? it's hard 2 explain...I'm only tellin coz u asked :P

creggi, I wanna know this Korean guy!!! does he have messenger? e-mail? orkut? anything alike?? xDD kiddin'ya...yeah, bleedin' deadly, I have to agree!!

Firstly, you've better Irish than I do. Fair play...but that was never really hard :(

Secondly - I'm not sure how many subjects you usually study in Brazil, but for the leaving cert its usually 6-7 minimum. Although you can do as many as possible if you wanted to (and are completly insane).

You definatly need to know the syllabus for subjects.

But while it is do-able, if it were me i'd be staying in Brazil! You actually get sunshine :( :pac:

hahahah ya funny^^
    fair play to yourself, mate! we could do an exchange, no problems! you come to Brazil and I go to Ireland!! hahah I'm kidding...ar aon nós that's not a bad idea :)
    oh, and thanks for the eulogy (<--does this word exist?! o.O) but táim ag foghlaim go fóill ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

oh, and thanks for the eulogy (<--does this word exist?! o.O) but táim ag foghlaim go fóill ^_^
    Yes, but only applicable when you're dead! :D

(Commendation / praise / accolade / acclaim / etc.)

And I'm not sure what Brazil would make of a ginger like CM! :D

What part of Brazil, if you will excuse my nosiness?

Argentina's frontier, even though I've nothing to do with those bastards :D
    where are u from in Ireland??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Galway.

And I have Argentinian friends! :(

How in ainm De do you come to speak Irish?! :confused:

grand, so u live in Connacht :)
    oh, gabh mo leithscéal...nothing against ya Argentine friends...I dunno them so I can't judge^^ perhaps they're exceptions (nice folks) heheh

hm...is scéal deacair go dtuig é...\õ/
    I've learnt Gaelic (Scottish first) before becoming a fluent English speaker so I could say that's my second language. Anyways I've found out 2 years ago that Irish is easier and it suits me well, specially the pronunciation coz I don't use 2 have as much troubles as Portuguese or English (yep, Portuguese as well, even though I'm Brazilian and I can write as Portuguese fluently xDD) but if u ask me why and how did I begin to learn Irish I've got no idea...:P also I dunno how did I find out about Irish language and so on - somewhere online - coz some Brazilian ppl don't even know Ireland is in Europe :O sad but true...but anyways here I am ^_^

an bhfuil ríomhpost agat? nó messenger?? is liom irlandesaa@yahoo.com.br (yep, double a)
    messenger: natih_loka@hotmail.com
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/irlandesaaa

I'm always pleased 2 make new friends around the world :)

Advertisement