Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus at it again......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Please explain why reserved seating costs more, and how much more it costs? Also, please explain how the fact that Ryanair stop letting you book online four and a half hours before a flight make sit less restrictive.
    It costs more to officiate and implement a seat assignment system. This is reflected in ticket prices. You must go crazy with worry every time you step onto a bus not knowing if there are seats together.

AerLingus online check in is only for a day or two before. Ryanair its a good few days allowing me usually to do my whole trip. With AL I had to find an internet cafe to print out my online check in. Cost money and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

ALFIET wrote: »
    My question is though should a strike happen - to what extent will it affect customers? Will long haul flights still go ahead?
    That's one of the serious questions that needs to be answered. A lot of people will be planning to fly to New York in the next couple of weeks, to name but one destination. December, as far as i can tell, has always been a hectic month for airports, and, not being one to tug the heart-strings, if this isn't quickly resolved, people might not get to see their families this christmas.

This begs the question: are the staff using this to their advantage, knowing what a tight spot they could Aer Lingus in?

Another question is: were Aer Lingus hoping that the staff wouldn't have the balls to take industrial action at this time of year, risking their jobs, and their abilities to provide their families?

This is an awful time of year for this to happen, Summer is busier, but there's no deadline like 25th December. The practicality of the issue is debatable, but only Aer lingus can be blamed for the timing of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

It costs more to officiate and implement a seat assignment system. This is reflected in ticket prices. You must go crazy with worry every time you step onto a bus not knowing if there are seats together.
    The reality is, they did have a seat assignment system in place, and they did away with it. You might believe they did it to make things cheaper all round, I believe they did it to make people race to the planes, to let them spend less time waiting.

If you expect the same standards of a bus and an airplane, you really are the perfect Ryanair customer. :p

Anyway, we're ten miles off topic here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

well expressed CDfm

I just want to see my mam. If a strike stops this from happening, God help the unions!:confused:

That says it all - my mam arrived for the weekend - back from holiday but stayed overnight with me rather then hang around for a connecting flight to Cork.

So certainly anyone over a certain age or with kids will book with anyone except AL. AL people have some hardneck for us to swallow that its anything other than their collective fault.

I love traveling - my favorite airport is London City and I love going thru there its so fast.

If you expect the same standards of a bus and an airplane, you really are the perfect Ryanair customer. :p

If I prefer a flight to take off and to pocket the fare difference and deal with an airline thats not plagued with strikes and industrial relations problems then I really am a RyanAir customer.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i am booked on aer lingus to n.y. to visit a terminally ill relative, if i have to miss this well to say the least i will be choked, as i am not in a financial position to go unless i am booked by them on another airline, as the hotel is pre booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

CDfm wrote: »
    i am not the journo that wrote the sunday times article

its fairly irrelevant what happened in the past now isnt it- its just aer lingus having yet another hissy fit.

Hang on you claimed the staff took huge salaries now when i ask you to back it up you say the past is not important.
    I take it that since you are wholly unable to back up your claim you no longer stand over that claim

CDfm wrote: »
    aer lingus is not as liked or likeable as some make out - no one really cares about it. ffs it owned the great southern hotels in prime areas which rarely if ever made a profit.

but if you think about it - as the national aerline it should have had the low fare model for ever. it didnt. its not an institution thats held in great affection by the public.

no one outside aer lingus would care if it disappeared.

thats just the way it is.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about Aer Lingus NEVER owned the Great Southern Hotels.

I think you need to sit down and learn the difference between an Airport and an Airplane start at that level and when you have that worked out it might help you figure out who used to own GSH.

well expressed CDfm

It is a very shortsighted measure by the union if they believe that this stunt will gain them a majority in public support.:p

Of course it will gain momentum with some of the proletariat but the ordinary joe soap really does just want to go on their hols or have family members return home for xmas esp those that they have not seen in ages.:mad:

I just want to see my mam. If a strike stops this from happening, God help the unions!:confused:

Mmm there about to lose their jobs do you honestly think they give a **** about public opinion.

I would imagine they are probably more concerned about how they will keep a roof over there head and provide for their family than whether you think it is a convenient time for a strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Check in online and priority boarding is free.
    They got rid of that sometime last year. As almost everyone checks in online, you have to pay to get priority boarding. Also, you cannot check in online if you have bags, or if are not from the EU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    Mmm there about to lose their jobs do you honestly think they give a **** about public opinion.

I would imagine they are probably more concerned about how they will keep a roof over there head and provide for their family than whether you think it is a convenient time for a strike.

Threatened strike in Feb 2007, Aug 2007, April 2008 and now (maybe more but I can't find any articles to back up any more). I don't think they care about public opinion at all. I'm sure those were all different workers or problems but the end result was uncertainty about whether customers were going to get to their destinations. It doesn't bother me anymore. After the one lates last year affected me I've moved to different airlines permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hang on you claimed the staff took huge salaries now when i ask you to back it up you say the past is not important.
    I take it that since you are wholly unable to back up your claim you no longer stand over that claim

I think you have no idea what you are talking about Aer Lingus NEVER owned the Great Southern Hotels.

I think you need to sit down and learn the difference between an Airport and an Airplane start at that level and when you have that worked out it might help you figure out who used to own GSH.

Tara Hotel in Kensington and the Copthorne hotel group just for the record.
    EI never owned the GSH grp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

They got rid of that sometime last year. As almost everyone checks in online, you have to pay to get priority boarding. Also, you cannot check in online if you have bags, or if are not from the EU.

With Aer Lingus, you can check in online if you pay for your bags online too. You can also choose your own seat at no extra cost.

On hand luggage: I've seen Aer Lingus staff be quite relaxed with hand luggage, which is fair. Now, that's only on short haul flights to the UK. No one wants to pay a score to check a bloody bag in cause it's a few inches too big or a few pounds too heavy. So that's another reason I choose Aer Lingus, the rules their staff are given to enforce aren't as strict and there's a bit of leway given to both staff and customer.

So that's another reason I choose Aer Lingus, the rules their staff are given to enforce aren't as strict and there's a bit of leway given to both staff and customer.

I agree. In general, unless there's a major difference, I'll pick EI over FR (though BD is my favourite). However, as long as the union holds the company at gunpoint, I'll take my euros elsewhere, as I simply don't trust them to not show up and do their jobs (or worse, show up and not do their jobs so that people who need a job can't do it for them).

Yeah well, you know that it's not just about people not showing up and doing their jobs and there's plenty of posts in this thread outlining that. I don't blame you or anyone for not giving them business at the minute though. I do recognize that trade union movements and actions and even the very mention of them are insanely unpopular in "these tough times" .

I'm still behind the workers though, I can see through the anti-union headlines.

Yeah well, you know that it's not just about people not showing up and doing their jobs

I thought that was the definition of a strike?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's getting bloody ridiculous at this stage - I've a flight on the 24th and there's still no word yet as to what's going to happen. So if I want to change my flight, I have to pay through the nose for it because Aer Lingus are acting like there's nothing wrong instead of giving people a chance to make ammendments for free.

ixoy wrote: »
    It's getting bloody ridiculous at this stage - I've a flight on the 24th and there's still no word yet as to what's going to happen. So if I want to change my flight, I have to pay through the nose for it because Aer Lingus are acting like there's nothing wrong instead of giving people a chance to make ammendments for free.

Is changing a flight not making an ammendment ? ie. changing the date ?

I think if there is a strike then that counts as having your flight cancelled and I think it that case they've to offer a refund.

I think if there is a strike then that counts as having your flight cancelled and I think it that case they've to offer a refund.

They will have to. The problem is that if you are trying to get home on the 24th, and there is a strike; you have no way of getting home -- all the competitors airlines are likely to be fully booked, and so you're stuck -- they'll put you on "the next available" flight -- which could be several days later on some infrequent routes, meaning you could lose out on several days earnings without any way of getting them back. The closer the strike is, the more uncertain it is. This is especially bad on long-haul flights.

I think while they cant guarantee that flights wont be affected by the strike they should offer refunds to everyone and allow them make alternative arrangements

There's no email address for this sort of thing on their site but they've a phone line. Mind you it's probably jammers.

Department Contact Details Opening Hours
    Reservations
    New telephone bookings or
    changes to telephone bookings.
    • IRL: 0818 365000
    • N.IRL: 0870 8765000
    • UK: 0870 8765000

They've a load of email addresses for overseas passengers. Might be worth dropping one of them a line and say that you've a flight booked from there , just to see what the reply you get is. These adresses are more than likely Aer Lingus desks in the respective countries but it'd be worth it just to see what they know.

Austria Reservations t: +43 1 5852100
    e: aerlingus@bfs.at

Belgium Reservations t: + 070 359901
    e: reservationsbru@aviareps.com

Bulgaria Reservations t: +359 2 981 99 80
    e: aerlingus.sofia@mbox.contact.bg

Czech Republic Reservations t: +420 224 815 373
    e: aer.lingus@t-m-i.cz

Denmark Reservations t: +45 3393 4080
    f: +45 3393 4081
    e: resv.aerlingus@tal-aviation.dk

Finland Reservations t: + 358 9 6122 0222
    e: sales@yellowsky.fi

France Reservations t: 08 21 23 02 67
    e: reservationEI.france@aviareps.com

Germany Reservations t: + 01805 133209
    e: reservations.germany@aerlingus.com

Group Bookings t: + 0049 089-55253352
    e: reservations.germany@aerlingus.com

Hungary Reservations t: + 00 36 1 999 1430
    e: aerlingus@tensi.hu

Italy Reservations t: + 39 0243458326
    e: aerlingus.milan@aviareps.com

Latvia Reservations t: +371 6 735 7736
    e: aerlingus@talaviation.lv

Lithuania Reservations t: + 370 6077 5784
    e: aerlingus@talaviationbaltic.com

Luxembourg Reservations t: + 070 359901
    e: reservationsbru@aviareps.com

Netherlands Reservations t: 0900 2658207
    e: reservationsams@aviareps.com

Poland Reservations t: Tel: +48 22 626 8402 (Mon-Fri 9-5)
    e: aerlingus@tal.pl

Portugal Reservations t: +351 21 892 5831
    e: aerlingus@atr.co.pt

Romania Reservations t: +40 21 3151359;
    +40 21 3079175
    f: +40 21 3121041
    e: luminita.t@talaviation.ro
    adriana.v@talaviation.ro
    sales@talaviation.ro

Spain Reservations t: + 34 902 502737
    e: aerlingus@selectaviation.es

Group Bookings t: + 34 933 428890
    e: gruposei@selectaviation.es

Sweden Reservations t: +46 8 590 00090
    f: +46 8 590 80808

Switzerland Reservations t: 0041 442 86 99 33
    e: aerlingus@zrh.airlinecenter.ch

• Advertisement

Yeah well, you know that it's not just about people not showing up and doing their jobs and there's plenty of posts in this thread outlining that. I don't blame you or anyone for not giving them business at the minute though. I do recognize that trade union movements and actions and even the very mention of them are insanely unpopular in "these tough times" .

I'm still behind the workers though, I can see through the anti-union headlines.

There is never a good time to have a strike no matter when it happens there will be people discommoded it is the nature of a strike.

If it did not affect anyone then it would be kind of pointlless.

If you do it when things are good people say if you don't like it leave there are loads of other jobs you do it now and they say you should be grateful to have any job.

People don't like being disrupted hence they refuse to see past the end of their nose and only consider themselves. Of course it is always a union that threatens strike that is the nature of it and people don't look any further as to why it is happening.

Tara Hotel in Kensington and the Copthorne hotel group just for the record.
    EI never owned the GSH grp

Exactly its seems CDfm has trouble telling the difference between and those operating Airlines and those operating Airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Good post there. Thanks for being level headed, some other posters can't seem to see past their wallet.

I've not flown with Ryanair since 1998 and I never want to provided there's an alternative. It's maybe an extra 20euro for fly Aer Lingus and not have nasty charges added on afterwards, you get a smile from the staff, you're not treated like a piece of rubbish et cetera et cetera.

I prefer the service Aer Lingus offer and I don't trust Ryanair. Aer Lingus are using this "tough times" shenanigans as a smoke screen to further their agenda.

Don't know what you mean by 'nasty charges added on afterwards' - I 've just booked 2 return flights to London with Ryanair for a total cost of 4 cents. Aer Lingus cost = 145 euro.
    The last time that I flew Aer Lingus the staff were dire. And I've been treated like crap by them many times.
    I had the misfortune to work for a year in Amsterdam, on a route which Aer Lingus had a monopoly on. Every time I tried to book a flight home it was a lottery as to which set of restrictions they'd decide to implement. No matter how long in advance I booked, they'd always charge at least 220 Euro, for a 90 minute flight. It was cheaper on occasions to get a train to Brussels, stay overnight, and fly Ryanair from Charleroi.

Check in online and priority boarding is free.
    Not for the last few months
    It's the airline that should have hassle, not me, especially not when I'm going on holidays. When I fly somewhere with my girlfriend, call me clingy, but I like to sit beside her. On Aer Lingus flights, we pick our seats on the way in, and chill out and hop on the plane at our leisure (within reason). It's nice, you can sit down, have a drink and read your magazine in departures while people are getting on, because you know you have two seats, side by side.

I've flown dozens of times on Ryanair with my gf, never had any problems getting a seat beside each other, usually near the front.
    On hand luggage: I've seen Aer Lingus staff be quite relaxed with hand luggage, which is fair. Now, that's only on short haul flights to the UK. No one wants to pay a score to check a bloody bag in cause it's a few inches too big or a few pounds too heavy. So that's another reason I choose Aer Lingus, the rules their staff are given to enforce aren't as strict and there's a bit of leway given to both staff and customer.
    There's a reason there's a restriction on baggage size. There's only so much space on board, particularly on a full flight. Last Ryanair flight I was on we were 15 minutes delayed because 2 morons had decided to bring on bags that were practically suitcase sized. One wandered up and down the plane looking for somewhere to stow her bag and moaning that there was no room, before eventually finding somewhere. The other's bag was even bigger, and had to be taken off and put in the hold. At which point he realised his passport was in it, and it had to be taken back out, his passport retrieved, and put back in again. While the other 100+ people just sat there waiting.
    So if that's the kind of thing Aer Lingus encourages, it's another reason not to fly with them.

TPeople don't like being disrupted hence they refuse to see past the end of their nose and only consider themselves.
    So I should be happy to spend excess money for an alternate flight, lose out on holidays (or go unpaid) all for a cause that I don't believe in and that it's selfish of me to do otherwise? Rightio...

People don't like being disrupted hence they refuse to see past the end of their nose and only consider themselves. Of course it is always a union that threatens strike that is the nature of it and people don't look any further as to why it is happening.

Actually, I'm just looking at the numbers, EI have around 800,000 passengers per month. There are about 3,000 staff "working" in EI. The strike only covers a few sections of this, and not all of them want it, so lets say 1,000 of them want to strike. So for every member of staff who goes on strike, they affect 800 innocent bystanders. Looking at it that way, it's the staff who are only considering themselves...

Actually, I'm just looking at the numbers, EI have around 800,000 passengers per month. There are about 3,000 staff "working" in EI. The strike only covers a few sections of this, and not all of them want it, so lets say 1,000 of them want to strike. So for every member of staff who goes on strike, they affect 800 innocent bystanders. Looking at it that way, it's the staff who are only considering themselves...

"innocent" bystanders ? You make it sound like people are being victimised here. No one is being murdered .

"innocent" bystanders ? You make it sound like people are being victimised here. No one is being murdered .
    No, just holidays ruined, job interviews missed, business meetings and opportunities spoiled, the reputation of the country in tatters from visitors, family reunions unfulfilled. The list goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

MOH wrote: »
    I 've just booked 2 return flights to London with Ryanair for a total cost of 4 cents.

No, you didn't. You also paid a €5 per passenger, per flight segment "nasty charge" added afterwards for using your credit or debit card. (The charge is unavoidable unless you book with Visa Electron - a rare specimen indeed and not offered on the Irish market AFAIK)

So, total cost = €20.04 Still cheap, but 50000% more expensive than what Ryanair claim:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

No, you didn't. You also paid a €5 per passenger, per flight segment "nasty charge" added afterwards for using your credit or debit card. (The charge is unavoidable unless you book with Visa Electron - a rare specimen indeed and not offered on the Irish market AFAIK)

So, total cost = €20.04 Still cheap, but 50000% more expensive than what Ryanair claim:rolleyes:

Wrong, I have paid 2 cents for Ryanair return flights before and 2 cents is what came up on my credit card. Actually it was more like 18 cents as I booked a load of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Wrong, I have paid 2 cents for Ryanair return flights before and 2 cents is what came up on my credit card. Actually it was more like 18 cents as I booked a load of people.

Agreed. Have also got these flights before, return flights for 2 cents. Total cost of flight for myself and my cousin was 4 cents.

I rang their helpdesk - they were helpful enough but very tight-lipped at the same time about what might happen. It's still expensive to change the flight time (as I was tempted to do) and he felt that it would also be better to wait until there's a clear announcement (at which point they reckoned change fees would be waivered as they have been in the past). His feeling was the strike wouldn't go ahead but then he probably would say that..

I reckon the strike will be called off at the last minute also.

The problem with "last minute" call-offs is that EI has to take a lot of preparation in the event of a strike - in particular, any long haul flights the day before are usually cancelled to ensure that all the aircraft are in the right place. So while it's better than actually striking, it would be better still if they gave a decent amount of notice over it.

Possibly but it's unfair to the passengers to do so. Provisions should be made now to allay fears and let people change their bookings. I don't want only to find out on Sunday whether I get to go home the next day - nobody needs that hanging over their head on a holiday. Management, or whomever, should be doing something in the interim.

Management, or whomever, should be doing something in the interim.

I agree - call one of their partner airlines and see if any of their staff are available on contract to cover the shifts of those unwilling to work. With the way things are going, I'm sure UA, BA or B6 would be more than willing to lease some staff for awhile...

• Advertisement

And close Dublin Airport when Aer Rianta fire station staff won't handle or give cover to aircraft"handled" by such staff:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And close Dublin Airport when Aer Rianta fire station staff won't handle or give cover to aircraft"handled" by such staff:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I thought "support" strikes were illegal? In any case, if they were to do something like that - bring in the army to replace them -- do what Reagan did with ATC in the '80s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ccyy123

I am traveling with Aer Lingus on the 27th November from Dublin to Heathrow and have a connecting flight to Japan with BA on the same day. There's only 2 flights with BMI (cost 170-270 euro) that would allow me to make the flight with BA. Considering that Aer Lingus hasn't announce anything yet, should I book the alternate flight? Or should I wait until the announcement? But I am afraid that there wouldn't be any available seat left. I am flying over for my sister's wedding, so I can't change the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ccyy123 wrote: »
    I am traveling with Aer Lingus on the 27th November from Dublin to Heathrow and have a connecting flight to Japan with BA on the same day. There's only 2 flights with BMI (cost 170-270 euro) that would allow me to make the flight with BA. Considering that Aer Lingus hasn't announce anything yet, should I book the alternate flight? Or should I wait until the announcement? But I am afraid that there wouldn't be any available seat left. I am flying over for my sister's wedding, so I can't change the date.
    Fly Ryanair late the night before ??

So I should be happy to spend excess money for an alternate flight, lose out on holidays (or go unpaid) all for a cause that I don't believe in and that it's selfish of me to do otherwise? Rightio...

I never said you should be happy but no matter when it happens there will always be people in the exact same situation as you.

But where for you this is a short term inconvenience this is their livelihood they will be dealing with the outcome whatever it happens to be for the rest of their lives.

So you don't have to be happy but you could try and see it other than from the narrow perspective of it disrupts my plans therefor they have to be in the wrong.

• Advertisement

All strikes affect people other wise they would be pointless.

The 800 people are being affected short term the implications of losing your job are considerably harder than losing your holiday or having to pay for a different flight etc

I thought "support" strikes were illegal? In any case, if they were to do something like that - bring in the army to replace them -- do what Reagan did with ATC in the '80s?

Shocking that some one using that name would come up with such an enlightened suggestion :rolleyes:

The 800 people are being affected short term the implications of losing your job are considerably harder than losing your holiday or having to pay for a different flight etc

i think you miss the point.

the history of work stoppages and inconvenience to passengers over the past number have years compared to other airlines has meant that AL is no longer the airline of choice for most people. My preference is Ryan Air as its Irish.

While I would have associated Aer Lingus with a bit of extra service etc at check-in etc. Once you get used to the RyanAir way or (BMI or BA) ways they are just as good. They get you from A to B.

I think that Aer Lingus staff overvalue the goodwill the staff add to the company and undervalue the real damage done to the company as a brand over the past few years. If anything succesive industrial actions have been so high profile they have damaged and devalued Aer lingus brand as a luxury item and as such make the cuts that might have been negeotiable inevitable.

Its delusional for Aer Lingus staff to dismiss or deny the seriousness that the industrial relations model they have used has had on the company. I saw one post suggesting it might be fixed with an ad campaign. I am afraid they are facing a real dose of reality.

Shocking that some one using that name would come up with such an enlightened suggestion :rolleyes:
    i agree - it is an enlightened suggestion to bring in thne army for safety in the case of an illegal support strike.

If a course of action is illegal it should not be condoned and it is the duty of the state to protect the passengers and the rights of other businesses to do business.

indeed support staff working for the airport authorities should be dismissed summarily if they get involved in such a strike.

All strikes affect people other wise they would be pointless.

Some of them are being offered 9 weeks per year of service. A lot of them have been there for 10+ years. That's two years of pay, tax free. That's a lot of time to go job hunting. Also, they are offering anybody who wants to stay a job, so nobody who doesn't want to will be losing their job.

So what would you suggest? Allow any company to just stop working just because another company is doing something that it doesn't like? It's a fight between EI "workers" and EI "management", with innocent passengers caught in the crossfire. In what way does that affect the fire department? If the fire dept. were to stop working, and the airport were to close, all the other carriers could then sue the fire department for damages.

Dublin Airport Fire service is staffed by SIPTU staff.

This happened before. They don't neccessarily have to stop work, just not give cover to aircraft handled by "brought in labour" as in your previous suggestion.

I am not suggesting for a moment this will happen, but if your previous scenario of bringing in staff from other airports were to be followed(and I can guarantee you this will NOT happen,as it's totally impractical in the current situation) that Fire service reaction would be definite.

This happened before. They don't neccessarily have to stop work, just not give cover to aircraft handled by "brought in labour" as in your previous suggestion.

I am not suggesting for a moment this will happen, but if your previous scenario of bringing in staff from other airports were to be followed(and I can guarantee you this will NOT happen,as it's totally impractical in the current situation) that Fire service reaction would be definite.

I agree that it almost certainly wouldn't happen -- EI would probably lose less money having their planes sit on the ground than the mess of trying to contract in additional staff unless it was for a long period. However, I do believe that if it were to happen, and the fire service were to withdraw cover, they should be sacked immediately. If all of SIPTU then start moaning and withdraw service everywhere -- well there are enough people looking for jobs at the moment and striking without cause is a good enough reason for simple termination without having to pay redundancy payments or unemployment benefits. Maybe it would do the country some good...

I am not suggesting for a moment this will happen, but if your previous scenario of bringing in staff from other airports were to be followed(and I can guarantee you this will NOT happen.

How can you guarantee this wont happen?

But if an illegal support strike were to occur putting [passengers, personnel, and property of other airlines at risk wouldnt you agree that the firemen should be fired.

Actually, just thinking about it more. Maybe EI should contract in some replacement staff, and then if/when the fire crew refuse to work, they can sue the fire crew for damages, and make a profit on the whole thing :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement