Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgy suspension?

• 09-11-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Took my little sister out for a spin around the estate the other day. Didn't go out on the main roads, but even a low speed a noticed a sort of grinding noise coming from the back. I thought it was the suspension so I looked on line and put it at a tighter setting, but it hasn't made a difference? Is this something I should be worried about? I don't hear anything when I'm out on my own, and I realise I won't be out with someone on the back till I get my full license but still.

Could I get the retailer to fix it under warranty?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

What kind of bike is it? and how much to you and your sister weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

It's a Suzuki GZ250. We're not overweight. I'm about 65kg's - at a guess, and she's probably the same or slightly heavier. The rear of the bike does drop a huge amount when anyone else gets on the bike. It didn't feel like the back wheel was scraping or rubbing, but there definately was a grinding noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

It could just be the engine/clutch/gearbox having to work harder to move the two of you, I always need to give it more juice for the same speed when I have someone on the back or a full set of luggage.

I'd have a check around the back fender, and underneath the bike just to be sure, and check with the dealer and see what he thinks - he should be able to test drive it and reproduce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Check your chain wasn't too tight with the extra weight on the back. If it drops enough at the back it has the effect of tightening the chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Get a person to help you here. Have yourself and your sister sit on the bike and get the other person to measure the drop of the suspension. It should be around 25mm.
    If it's dropping further than that then chances are your bottoming out the suspension and/or it's grinding against the tyre.
    Check your chain tension at the same time, have the other person meausre the chain slack whilst the two of you are still on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Check your chain wasn't too tight with the extra weight on the back. If it drops enough at the back it has the effect of tightening the chain.
    That's what my first thought was also...

Advertisement