Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor and the future.....

• 09-11-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

just read an interesting article from an interview with meteor....linky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

All reads as a load of hype from Meteor from what I see ... but I guess if they pull it all off they might just become the forerunner of the networks in Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not much in that article that wasn't none!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

it's really disappointing that eircom will be intervening , read in another thread where there was a link to a page where it showed "eircommobile.ie" replacing meteor or something.......checked eircom.ie and they already provide businesses with mobile phone contracts.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

They own Meteor so they are obviously going to get involved at some stage or another, it's makes good business sense!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Eircom Mobile is a half-arsed MVNO, designed for Eircom to target Business customers under a different name, making it seem more reliable. Meteor's name won't change, that'd just be stupid!

• Advertisement

eircommobile
    i can't make much sense from it, can any1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Maybe I missing something in the article but I cant see anything that will make them so good. The article is all hearsay nothing concrete and by the time they get their broadband network rolled out who know's what 3, voda or o2 will be offering. They say they have the advantage of being the latest into market with mobile broadband but if they offer a package which is great value then the other operators will just react with another offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Eircom has made no secret of the fact that Meteor is the ace in its hand

Am I wrong in thinking that as of yet, Meteor hasn't turned a profit? Most of their customers are pay-as-you-go and only really take advantage of free calls/texts offers, rather then actually spending money. And now O2/Vodafone have similar offers, but they can make back the money on data calls.

Them coming into the market last means they can fix the mistakes of previous operators... but as far as I can tell, there were no mistakes really made by voda/o2/3 in this regard. They also have the problem of not really having major products to push out. o2 have the iPhone, and vodafone will have the blackberry storm... what can Meteor get that'll push their product? People traditionally won't spend that much on a phone with their network...

Meteor's sticking point is they've no real business hook like o2/vodafone, where they can get huge contracts from big businesses. They're still seen as a cheapo student network.

Having said that, they do have slick ads :)

so true, they need to bring out a wanted phone.....something to hook all the people looking for a high-end product good enough to sign a contract for.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

On the topic of mistakes made by mobile operators...I think Vodafone launched their 3G a tad too early...Sort of like how Meteor first launched their network, with quite patchy coverage. I'm not sure how Meteor's launch will go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Meteors lack of top end phones is something i am getting a little bit annoyed with. I have a N95 and getting a little board with it with O2 having the iPhone and 3's selection of top end phones along with Vodafone i think i might jump ship! I asked a sales guy what Meteor were coming out with frrom here to xmas and i was not really impressed the only thing they are rolling out is E66!!humbug :mad:

e66 has been out on meteor for aaages...............

sorry should have said rolled out:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

but its oh so cheap.. 20 every 4 to 6 weeks.. You cant go wrong.
    Even when they do release high end phones, they're generally on bill pay.
    I havnt bought a phone from a network in 4 years. I buy sim free on the web. The prices you can get online almost match the prices operators charge for such phones on PAYG,

i'm on bill pay so they can bloody subsidise my phone i spend enough each month so at least they can do is bring out some decent phones :(

any idea on what phones will be out for christmas?

Advertisement