Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tyre thread depths

Options
  • 09-11-2008 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

So how often should I check them?
    Does it vary from car to car and tyre to tyre?
    How do I check them?

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Random wrote: »
    How do I check them?

Thanks !

not very often unless you drive like a madman
    some garages hand out little keyring / card things specially made for checking how much is left on a tyre. you could just use a ruler or something provided it actually starts at 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Driving like a madman - braking heavy? accelerating quickly?

The thread depths themselves are standard I assume? Not like tyre pressures etc where they differ from car to car?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Driving like a madman - braking heavy? accelerating quickly?

The thread depths themselves are standard I assume? Not like tyre pressures etc where they differ from car to car?

What do you mean by standard? The thread depth is only the depth of thread left in the tyre. As in the amount of the patterned shape left on the tyre...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    What do you mean by standard? The thread depth is only the depth of thread left in the tyre. As in the amount of the patterned shape left on the tyre...
    I'm guessing he means that the minimum thread dept is standard regardless of vehicle. 1.6mm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

1.6 mm may be the legal limit, however it is recommended that you change tyres once the thread depth is below 4 mm ...especially if you drive in wet conditions/standing water a lot (and we all know a country that offers exactly those conditions, don't we:D)

a handy hint:

Stick a one Euro coin into your thread. If the gold rim disappears into the thread, you should still have more than 4 mm thread depth left. Once it stays visible ...time to check prices for new tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

You can get a tool that looks like a retractable metal syringe. You push this between the tread on the tyre until the tab rests on the thread. It will give a reading on the side. Only a few euro and you can get them in most car shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

peasant wrote: »
    1.6 mm may be the legal limit, however it is recommended that you change tyres once the thread depth is below 4 mm ...especially if you drive in wet conditions/standing water a lot (and we all know a country that offers exactly those conditions, don't we:D)

a handy hint:

Stick a one Euro coin into your thread. If the gold rim disappears into the thread, you should still have more than 4 mm thread depth left. Once it stays visible ...time to check prices for new tyres
    4mm ???? Is that not a little overcautious? You're not in tyre sales are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Sandwich wrote: »
    I dunno, but I wouldn't want to be driving in the wet or on ice at or near the minimum legal limit either.

Also, Random, hi_im_fil, Webmonkey, peasant: There's no "h" in tread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also, Random, hi_im_fil, Webmonkey, peasant: There's no "h" in tread! :)
    Yeah, what is it about that word that seems to dumbfound most people. I've even read a whole "tread" about tyre "threads" once on here. Another Motors specific one that crops up again and again is "brake" and "break".

....tyre and tire

And alan, its "thread" when you are referring to those discussions :)

• Advertisement

Sandwich wrote: »

No, I'm not ...just convinced from experience.

The problem with tyres is that it is a slow progress from new to bald. If you drive every day, you don't really notice how bad they are getting, only in direct comparison can you feel the difference between tyres with good tread and near bald ones.

But especially in the wet, near bald ones (and 1.6 mm is near bald) are terrible.

see also here: http://www.etyres.co.uk/glossary-tyre-terms?term=aquaplaning

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Webmonkey wrote: »
    ....tyre and tire
    True.
    And alan, its "thread" when you are referring to those discussions :)
    Firstly it's Alun (Welsh version of Alan, in case you were wondering!) and secondly the reference to "treads" about "threads" was deliberate, seeing as many people refer to these discussions as "treads" as well as getting the name for the grooves in tyres wrong as well :D

My Apologies :)

Alun wrote: »
    ...the reference to "treads" about "threads" was deliberate, seeing as many people refer to these discussions as "treads" as well as getting the name for the grooves in tyres wrong as well :D

as usually, I blame the English...Threat, thread, tread, treat ...so many nearly identical words ..pfff ... gimme Reifenprofiltiefe ...at least that's clear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Bah you got what I mean but point noted with the spelling!

I guess I'll try the Euro thing and see what happens lol .. just feeling like my car isn't giving all the grip it did when I first got it nearly a year ago (new tyres put on it then) so wanted to see maybe if it was the tyres.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How do I check them?

Thanks !
    As checking tyre pressures is supposed a weekly task, I would do it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote: »
    gimme Reifenprofiltiefe ...at least that's clear :D

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

If you look at the top of the sidewall there is little triangles every so far along, look into the tread from there and there are little blocks of rubber across the tread, they are the 1.6mm legal depth and you can see how close it is. There may also be lower ones in some tyres, they are 1mm, which is the legal depth for a vintage car so you need the higher blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bah you got what I mean but point noted with the spelling!

I guess I'll try the Euro thing and see what happens lol .. just feeling like my car isn't giving all the grip it did when I first got it nearly a year ago (new tyres put on it then) so wanted to see maybe if it was the tyres.

There's your real answer then. When the grip goes, new tyres should come. It doesn't matter really what the tread depth is. Some tyres will still perform reasonably well at 2mm left, others have lost grip at 4mm.

Biro wrote: »
    There's your real answer then. When the grip goes, new tyres should come. It doesn't matter really what the tread depth is. Some tyres will still perform reasonably well at 2mm left, others have lost grip at 4mm.

well ...it is also the time of year when roads are particularly slippery, when the colder temperatures affect tyre grip and when there's a lot of wet leaves and muck and all that (not to mention ice, snow, etc)

It might just have to do with having to take it that bit more easy (if the tyres as such are still good)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

How do I check them?

Thanks !

we check once a week mostly 'cos of the roads we drive , we check for cuts & bulges etc. mostly use oversize wheels & once thread reaches 3mm it is binned

we also check oil, coolant, fluid, & washer levels once a week , the vehicle might have done 50kms in the week or over 1000 kms it is still checked .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Biro wrote: »

Yes, this is happening to me at the moment. Tyres have lost grip and aprox 4 mm left. (on fronts)

Advertisement