Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Cat Antics

Options
  • 09-11-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Our next door neighbor has a cat , it must be about 12-14 years old now and of late looks its age, its a long haired cat. It and another live outdoors I believe, anyways, I am not sure of the breed but the poor thing looks like its coat has gone really bad, its like chunks of hair has been falling out. They keep their cats very well, the one is much younger, maybe 3 years old so I dont think they are doing anything wrong, they are good folk.

Now I know nothing about cats, but she dont look good, must be old age.

Anyways I am sat playing xbox this afternoon, and out my window I can see her coming in to an area she likes to frequent in our garden. I have seen her for about 1 hour coming back and forward to the same spot, digging around in the mud. She has dug up what seem to be a stone, and ate it in front of me and nearly looked it was choking. Then for some reason she had dug about 3 bones. I didnt think cats ate or messed with bones, or ate stones. Its like it has some collection there.

In the same spot both cats use it as a toilet area.

Sorry for the ramblings I just found this activity weird.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I wonder if it has worms or something. They would affect its coat and make it hungry. But yes, extremely strange behaviour.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

MsFifers wrote: »
    I wonder if it has worms or something. They would affect its coat and make it hungry. But yes, extremely strange behaviour.:confused:
    Yup sure is, the cat stayed in the same spot for 3 hrs last night mucking around in the mud, digging up stuff , taking it away then coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Some old cats get dementia! Poor little crazy dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

Sounds very strange never seen a cat eat stones before maybe it thinks it's a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Are you sure the other cat isnt eating poo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Are you sure the other cat isnt eating poo?
    It could be , but thats even worse .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

The cat needs to get to the vet ,...if possible.
    Probably a form of anemia , but im no expert.
    The cat isnt demented , but instinct has it searching for vitals missing from its requirements, could be lack of iron or dietry necessities, but def sounds like a blood problem.
    The behaviour is called PICA .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Sounds like the hair loss is an allergies, I have three cats over 12 yrs and they look great, but the oldest one who 26yrs suffered for many yrs from the age of 16 from flea bite allergies, which seemed to bring on cystitis, since strong hold came out she been fine, with age come health issues, mainly allergies, kidneys and heart in cats all this could be causing her to age like she is, my 15yr old only looks about 1 yr old and you name it she has it wrong with her, but with the right treatment you can turn it all around.

I'd say you should voice your concerns with her owner and start with I know how well you look after them but I just wanted to make you aware of the behaver incase there is anything wrong ?

Are you sure it's stones she's eating ? and not roots, when an animal is in the wild and even some domesticated animals will try to heal them selves by finding the right plants to help them get better, their bodies tell them what they need as odd as it sounds, and it sounds to me like the behaver is not normal and she is searching for something to help what ever is making her ill or harming her, I would voice my concerns to the owner and tell her you are just worried they they my not be aware of the bizzar behaver because it is happening in your back yard and as you are fond of the cats you just want to make sure they were a ware of it in case there is something wrong they hadn't picked up on yet.

The only other thing I can think of and hate to say it is they are hunting mice as it's that time of year when the mice/rats try to come in doors and that little black thing was one of them, I live next to a river and the nieghbourhood cats sit on the walls watch the gardens for them all day.

Hope you work it out, let us know when you do.

Advertisement