Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Dunne...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

bigstar wrote: »
    indeed my booties do seem to be shrinking. how dare we aspire to greater things.

I don't think getting rid of the man who's been ye're best player over the last number of years because of a handful of bad games is a "greater thing" to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i dont remember saying get rid of anyone.

i dont remember saying get rid of anyone.

Your counter-argument is simply to be pedantic? I'm not impressed.

In the context of the thread where people are talking about shipping Richard Dunne how else was I to interpret your statement?

Also, what are you actually talking about if not replacing Dunne?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Your counter-argument is simply to be pedantic? I'm not impressed.

In the context of the thread where people are talking about shipping Richard Dunne how else was I to interpret your statement?

Also, what are you actually talking about if not replacing Dunne?

well when you mis-quoted me i wasnt impressed either. another poster said city fans were getting too big for their boots, i made a sarcastic reply, some people on this forum cant take a little humour, ive never said anyhting about replacing dunne if you bother to search the thread youll see ive defended him a lot. even so i dont think its out of order if any city fan wants to criticise any player, it happens at every club but i think because its richard dunne, one of irelands best players, all hell brakes loose. hes having a bad run, hes a professional footballer, hell have to expect criticism. and just so you dont get confused I still think hes one of our best players.

well when you mis-quoted me i wasnt impressed either. another poster said city fans were getting too big for their boots, i made a sarcastic reply, some people on this forum cant take a little humour, ive never said anyhting about replacing dunne if you bother to search the thread youll see ive defended him a lot. even so i dont think its out of order if any city fan wants to criticise any player, it happens at every club but i think because its richard dunne, one of irelands best players, all hell brakes loose. hes having a bad run, hes a professional footballer, hell have to expect criticism. and just so you dont get confused I still think hes one of our best players.

You should have said that in the first place - "how dare we aspire to greater things" hardly amounts to a vote of confidence in Richard Dunne which is what the entire thread is a discussion on.

Leave out the sarcastic attempts at "humour", or at least explain yourself somewhat if you don't want to seem like you're saying something entirely different to what you meant imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As I said a few days ago, I doubt Vucinic has faced a tougher opponent than Dunne at international level so far. Dunne's world class on his day and that day seems to come along very often. So many times I saw him last season he was fantastic. He stopped punting the ball up field under Sven and actually looked very competent on the ball.

He'll come good again for City obviously. I'd be more worried about Richards.

to keane

you shouldnt jump to conclusions about what im referring to, i was responding to people having a go at city and its supporters, i dont know who you support but im sure if i criticised all supporters based on a few you wouldnt be happy either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I thought it was relevant because you insinuated that Dunne hasn't been performing to a high level in years when by your own earlier admission, it is a matter of months. Given your comments during pre-season about how solid City's defensive options were, you'll have to forgive us for thinking that it looks like you've gone from rating Dunne as one of the best in the world to wanting him out based on barely 3 months of games... which is a rather hasty turn-around by most standards.

I never insinuated anything. You were presumptuous.

So what's your solution then? Keep him in the team and risk 4 or 5 more mistakes? Wanting Dunne out means wanting him out of the team to avoid more cock ups. Hardly a ridiculous ideology.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Since when does 5 bad games mean a player is finished?

No one said he was finished. He just should not be in the team after five games like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dunne & Hughes have both gone from being saviours of the club to villians who must leave in the space of a month or so Xavi. Its ****ing ridiculous. think about great players over their career who go through bad spells, its a common occurance, look at Alonso this year for example.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dunne & Hughes have both gone from being saviours of the club to villians who must leave in the space of a month or so Xavi. Its ****ing ridiculous. think about great players over their career who go through bad spells, its a common occurance, look at Alonso this year for example.

And wasn't Alonso given a kick up the arse by being told he would be flogged to Juve?

Seriously, why is Dunne exempt from criticism because he picked up a few club awards? The fact, and yes it is a fact, is that this season he has been crap and has cost us games. There's no room for sentiment when you're losing games and struggling.

I can't believe people are defending a player who has scoreed 2 OGs, picked up 1 red card, and misjudged the ball to cost 2 goals all in the space of a month. If it was Paul McShane the knives would be out from all corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree he is going through an awful spell.

its you saying he should be sold that pissed me off.

seems symptomatic of a lot you think with football tbh.

you were all for "save Sven" when it came to light he may lose his job, then he got sacked, and it was the right decision all of a sudden, the Sven sig was gone within a couple of days.

Hughes came in, and he was the man, combined with new money available you were ready to raid the top 4! in your own words, ya had nothing to fear from Liverpool, bad start now Hughes should be sacked all of a sudden?

Dunne player of the year last few years for City, consistantly great over the last number of seasons, this time last year better than Ferdinand (who incidentally was the best defender on the planet last year)---but yous and he has had a bad start and now all of a sudden he is not good enough and needs to be sold on to progress?

you seem so fickle when it comes to football, the one thing all the top clubs in England (and i mean real top clubs, Utd,Liverpool,Arsenal) is they have undertaken projects on a long term basis, no ****ing knee jerk reactions. you on the other hand want greatness for your club, but you are ALL about knee jerk reactions.

Rome wasnt built in a day Xavi, i'd advise you support the team, manager and players and put your faith in them,instead of calling for the head of someone new every few months.

dont mean the above to sound like i'm having a go mate, ya know i think you're sound! just cut out the knee jerks and get behind the team, instead of on their backs.

Ahhh I see so I'm the victim of my own optimism. Fair enough.

Again it's the big four looking down on us 'little people'. This pedestal is getting bloody annoying, and you seem to think we should settle for mediocrity.

Sven came in and did a good job for half a season. I didn't want him to go because we have change upon change at our club over the past 15 years when all it needs is stability. Hence my support for him.

However the decision was made to replace him and so be it. I have no control over that and getting in a huff all summer is going to do sweet fuck all. I support whoever is in charge of Manchester City Football Club and when Mark Hughes took over I was immediately behind him. I will be behind him until the decision is made for him to leave. Then I will support the next man who comes in. It's not 'fickle' (which seems to be the new buzz word around here btw), it is merely supporting the club which is bigger than any one man.

The same goes for the Dunne situation. I am supporting the club and right now he is not good for the club. He has cost the club points, cost the club league positions and made the club look bad. Notice the excessive use of the word 'club'. I don't support Richard Dunne. Or Shaun Wright-Phillips. Or Micah Richards. Players come and go all the time. I support Manchester City. I get behind anyone in a blue shirt alright but as I said, they come and go.

I can't believe you're questioning my integrity as a fan from high up on your pedestal. You'd swear Liverpool were exempt from criticising players. On this board alone I have seen bitchy comments at the likes of Kewell, Benayoun (Yossi smells? Wtf?) and now Agger. Ridiculous, yet that is ok because Liverpool expect better. Well let me tell you something, we at City expect better than 2 OGs, 1 red card and 2 fuck ups in 4 weeks.

Rome wasn't built in a day, I agree, however Rome probably wasn't built on regular fuck ups.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I never insinuated anything. You were presumptuous.
    Des pointed out that Dunne has been outstanding for City for several seasons up until the present one, which you summarised as 'a few years ago' - more than just a little bit of spin there.
    So what's your solution then? Keep him in the team and risk 4 or 5 more mistakes? Wanting Dunne out means wanting him out of the team to avoid more cock ups. Hardly a ridiculous ideology.
    That's fair enough, it's just that some of your posts seemed to hint at wanting rather more than him merely being out of the team. Not your intention I guess.

That's fair enough, it's just that some of your posts seemed to hint at wanting rather more than him merely being out of the team. Not your intention I guess.

What I said was that him being out of the team in the lead up to the transfer window would most likely see him leave as we will be buying in Janaury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

In all fairness, he probably just needs a bit of management at the mo. He was awesome for Ireland this season, but since his 1st European blunder for City, he's had a bit of a bad time for them. He hasn't lost his ability obviously, and all this reaction is very much knee jerk. He's a centre back who's made a few errors, which probably has him dwelling a bit. A few good solid outings and he'll be right as rain. At the end of the day, some Arsenal fans were doubting Wenger recently, enough said really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I can't believe people are defending a player who has scoreed 2 OGs, picked up 1 red card, and misjudged the ball to cost 2 goals all in the space of a month. If it was Paul McShane the knives would be out from all corners.
    f.o.r.m

As Hughes said today, Dunne will get over this bad patch before too long. He's one of the best centre halves in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Looks like hes off to Spurs according to todays papers. Good move or bad?

glenjamin wrote: »

For City or Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

glenjamin wrote: »

Well it depends really. If City can replace him with some £30 million world beater, then its hard to say its a bad move. But I still think it sends out the wrong vibes, and is a bit calice.

From Spuds POV, it is potentially a terrific move. CB has been a problem area for them for god knows how long. As much as I don't like 'Arry, he has proved to be a master for reinventing someone's career, getting the best out of them again, and building back their confidence. Sol Campbell is the perfect example of this.

Thus, for Dunne and Spuds, it could be a marriage made in heaven. For City, they risk selling some invaluable experience and influence, without the guarantee it will help them progress.

I can see the Dunne issue as being a political minefield at City. Hughes clearly rates him, and feels he can get him to return to form. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the owners, much like the fans, feel he is past it, and want to splash the cash on a big name CB. This standoff could potentially be what pushes Hughes out the door, as I can't see him standing for a player being sold without his consent, and his replacement imposed upon him. Likewise I can't see the owners taking too well to someone telling them to keep their money, they don't want/need another player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I believe Harry Redknapp tried to get him to Portsmouth last season so I wouldn't be surprised if he did move to Spurs.

Then again it could be just lazy journalists digging up old stories for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dunne and Woodgate fit and in form would be a center back pairing up there with what Chelsea and Utd have. Ledley King is a beaten docket due to his inability to stay fit - so I'd say it would be good business for Spurs if they can get it done.

As far as City is concerned, removing Dunne from the equation would be a signal that no - one in the current squad is safe and the intention is to fundamentally dismantle the team they have and rebuild it from scratch with a higher standard of player in almost every position. If that's the case with the new owners - that there is infinite money allied to infinite ambition - then there is a turbelent short term outlook for the club. Plenty of transfers - and a team filled with guys looking over their shoulder.

But in the long - term, the top four will be the ones feeling insecure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It would be the removal of a symbol of stability.

A policy which may set the club back a few years.

I know Abromovich proved us wrong but I still doubt City's owners will give Hughes that much time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement