Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland go bottom

• 09-11-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

After Fulham and Spurs won today, Sunderland are now bottom of the table.

How is there not pressure on Roy Keane after all the money he has spent in the last two seasons?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

How is there not pressure on Roy Keane after all the money he has spent in the last two seasons?

What happened West Brom??

There is pressure on him, its still early and very tight though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Good times, good times.

I hope they go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yep and apart from chelsea being above us, Liverpool are top.

Des wrote: »

I hope they go down.

I hope Tolka park falls into the Tolka.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

There is.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    I hope Tolka park falls into the Tolka.:)

Why?

Why?

Just have an irrational dislike for stuff. Lot of that goes round here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

For the money spent on him Diouf is a dire footballer and human being. Some things just dont go the way the should on paper.

Either way, a couple fo wins could well pull them a few points clear of the relegation zone and make this all a bit pointless. Hell they are one win away from being in the top half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Much as I hate to break the mood, West Brom are bottom, not Sunderland. And Man City are only two points above them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

And only 3 points seperating bottom and 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Much as I hate to break the mood, West Brom are bottom, not Sunderland. And Man City are only two points above them.
    Sorry my bad

Sunderland are still sh1t though, and Keano is still a langer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sorry my bad

ah its always great to come on and see reasoned intelligent logical debate.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ah its always great to come on and see reasoned intelligent logical debate.

Don't worry, I'm sure the mods will get to this EPL-related breach of the charter in double quick time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I hope they stay up. I like Keane, he brings a lot to the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Good hope they go down. For all the good Roy Keane did with Manchester United and Ireland he is an awfully arrogant manager.

Don't worry, I'm sure the mods will get to this EPL-related breach of the charter in double quick time.

? i think im missing something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

You know that soccer forum awards thing Xavi is organising? Will there be a worst thread ever category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

? i think im missing something...

Des believes that threads relating to matters English and world footballing related are modded with significantly higher levels of diligence and consistency than those threads that relate to the LOI.

tinfoil-hat.jpg

OT: Things are ridiculously tight in the bottom half of the table right now. I think Sunderland have a lot more quality at this point than they had last year and, as such, I imagine they will stay up comfortably by season's end. Assuming there is no cup run though, the bar of expectation may be placed slightly higher for him by the owners and fans from next season on. ]

At present there is no fear of Keane going anywhere. The Sunderland fans love his direct and honest approach with them and the players. And the owners believe they have the chosen one running their club.

This thread is therefore stupid. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

anyone got a breakdown of his transfer dealings over the last 2-3 years??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Stekelly wrote: »
    Just have an irrational dislike for stuff. Lot of that goes round here.

LOL :pac: I see more people wearing Bohs shirts than Sunderland jerseys ffs, dont know where this devotion the EL crowd imagine exist comes from.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/default.stm

Sunderland share the same general position (same points or one behind) as 10 of the other 19 teams, seperated on goal difference. By seasons end goal difference usually is not the deal breaker. They are doing no better or worse than half the teams.

Jesus I would love a few Hull victories coupled with some sloppy Man U play putting them out of contention, or even in danger of fifth.

I am not massively arsed but yes, I would hope they stay up due to the Irish connection. Much the same as I take a passing interest in Celtic in Europe.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

shane86 wrote: »
    I am not massively arsed but yes, I would hope they stay up due to the Irish connection.

Me too! It's much better for Irish players to be on the bench in the Premier League than on the bench in the Championship.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Me too! It's much better for Irish players to be on the bench in the Premier League than on the bench in the Championship.

I mean the management/investment.

tbh every Irish player bar Reid who has been with Sunderland recently has been 3rd rate, and I would rather see Doyle and Hunt at Reading than move to Sunderland as has often been touted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    OT: Things are ridiculously tight in the bottom half of the table right now. I think Sunderland have a lot more quality at this point than they had last year

Throughout the club, with the single important position of manager excepted.

I mean the management/investment.

Good luck to the Irish people "investing" their money in English football.

Is the Irish interest in Sundireland not down to the Irish players, but down to the involvement of the Drumaville Consortium? Strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

To bring things back OT, to be fair the league at the moment is very tight, one win for Sunderland could push them to 10th. Having said that I think keane gets an easy time in the media particularly the Irish media and has been made out to be a great manager already, in ways he has been hyped up, but he has spent a huge amount of money partiularly when Sunderland got up and he has spent large amounts on some average players. Now, he kept Sunderland up last season but I think this was largely down to the funds he had available. I said in the summer that this would be a very big year for Sunderland, they have to establish themselves as a mid table team imo. Looking at how Hull have done this season so far with a fraction of the money Sunderland have had if Sunderland get dragged into a relegation battle it will be interesting to see how the board at Sunderland react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Good times, good times.

I hope they go down.

is there a resaonable reason for you to want them to go down?

or is it the usuall nonsense?

ntlbell wrote: »
    is there a resaonable reason for you to want them to go down?

or is it the usuall nonsense?

I'm sure for me it's "the usual nonsense", you know, the same reason you hope they stay up ;)

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I'm sure for me it's "the usual nonsense", you know, the same reason you hope they stay up ;)

I don't really care what happens to sunderland, I like to see Irish people do well in sport regardless if it's tiddly winks,cricket or football

so you want them to go down because you dislike irish people doing well?

nice

To be fair, that is a fairly standard Irish character trait! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I dont want them to go down but what I do want is for Keane to quit with the moaning about this that an other and have him team start winning games!

I don't really care what happens to sunderland, I like to see Irish people do well in sport regardless if it's tiddly winks,cricket or football

nice
    If the Irish players were doing well they'd be getting their game. If Sunderland were doing well people wouldn't be talking about them going down.

I dont want them to go down but what I do want is for Keane to quit with the moaning about this that an other and have him team start winning games!

to be fair he's been very honest in any interview i have seen and making very little excuses.

if they haven't played well he takes full responsibility anytime he has moaned he has very good reason e.g. the fullham game

If the Irish players were doing well they'd be getting their game. If Sunderland were doing well people wouldn't be talking about them going down.

the irish players not playing well is not why des et all want sunderland to go down.

• Advertisement

nice

Nice extrapolation :D

Naturally, as I'm sure with most, I like to see my countrymen do well. But, sadly, and through his own actions, the manager of that club has disassociated himself from his country at a time when his undoubted skills were most needed, and for me, at least, no longer meets the qualification to be an upstanding Irishman. Plus, he's rubbish as a manager.

You, dear boy, can see no wrong in him, that is both your privelege and your curse.

Nice extrapolation :D

Naturally, as I'm sure with most, I like to see my countrymen do well. But, sadly, and through his own actions, the manager of that club has disassociated himself from his country at a time when his undoubted skills were most needed, and for me, at least, no longer meets the qualification to be an upstanding Irishman. Plus, he's rubbish as a manager.

You, dear boy, can see no wrong in him, that is both your privelege and your curse.

Wow,

so because mick mc carthy sent keane home you want sunderland to get religated

lolz

I'm leaving this thread well alone now methinks

Good luck to the Irish people "investing" their money in English football.

Is the Irish interest in Sundireland not down to the Irish players, but down to the involvement of the Drumaville Consortium? Strange one.

If they invested their funds in a single LOI club the rest of the fans would be moaning about this noveau riche club full of foreign players, shiny new stadium and new fairweather fans who bought their way into the CL last 16. Drumavalle cannot win.

And of course that would open the floodgates for your Nacho Novos and Marcos Sennas to start declaring for us, which is the last thing I want to happen.

And of course that would open the floodgates for your Nacho Novos and Marcos Sennas to start declaring for us, which is the last thing I want to happen.

God forbid foreigners with tenuous links should declare for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I hope they can stay up and keep their slew of useless cynically-appointed Irish international players gainfully employed for another season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pigman II wrote: »
    I hope they can stay up and keep their slew of useless cynically-appointed Irish international players gainfully employed for another season.

Do sunderland still have loads of irish players though, only 1 played against Portsmouth, have a feeling you will start to see less and less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

According to Wiki (so it must be true) they have 16 Irish (North and South) players in their first team squad.

Wow,

so because mick mc carthy sent keane home you want sunderland to get religated

lolz

I'm leaving this thread well alone now methinks

Whatever makes you feel good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

disassociated himself from his country
    FAI. He always comes back to his routes. Cork is not part of Ireland? :P
    no longer meets the qualification to be an upstanding Irishman
    If the greatest Irish player of all time can't qualify for your upstanding Irishman title, does anyone?
    he's rubbish as a manager.
    Better than Mick McCarthy!
    And your view is very logical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sorry my bad

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Loco wrote: »

Better than Mick McCarthy!

OK, so you say he is better than one man, chosen from the thousands available, but OK, quantify.

OK, so you say he is better than one man, chosen from the thousands available, but OK, quantify.

Quantify what? Achievements? Championship promotion perhaps? OK..

Roy Keane = 1.
    Mick McCarthy = -1.

Loco wrote: »
    Quantify what? Achievements? Championship promotion perhaps? OK..

Roy Keane = 1.
    Mick McCarthy = -1.

to be fair they've been promoted an equal number of times. 1 each. I dont mind Mick, I think he's a far better manager now then he was when he took over Ireland. He's not the best out there, but he's certainly developed a lot as a manager. I hate what happened in Saipan, but i think if you take out the eyes of a nation watching, it was two ego's who couldn't coexist under the circumstances. I like to think both have come on a long way from there and grown as people. People im just an optimist. I would like Keane to do a lot less talking though.

I'm caught with Sunderland, I used to like them, then i massively disliked them for how they dealt with Peter Reid, and now i kind of nothing them. I like to see Andy Reid do well though, and id like to see some of their younger irish players get a chance (as with all other clubs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sorry to be pedantic but:
    -man starts thread entitled 'Sunderland go bottom'
    -posters explain Sunderland are not in fact bottom
    -man responds by calling Sunderland shoite and Roy Keane a 'langer'

Why the fook are we still discussing anything??????????

to be fair they've been promoted an equal number of times. 1 each.

Didn't know that. With who?
    The team was demoted when he took charge of Sunderland anyway. They had little chance of fighting back then though.
    McCarthy is certainly a much better manager now. He was awful before. If you send Ireland's best player ever home from a world cup theres soemthing wrong!

But back to topic, as another poster said, they are in the same general position as half the league, so I don't think they have anything to worry about just yet.
    What a silly challenge by Diouf against Portsmouth at the end though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement