Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland go bottom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Loco wrote: »
    Didn't know that. With who?
    The team was demoted when he took charge of Sunderland anyway. They had little chance of fighting back then though.
    McCarthy is certainly a much better manager now. He was awful before. If you send Ireland's best player ever home from a world cup theres soemthing wrong!

But back to topic, as another poster said, they are in the same general position as half the league, so I don't think they have anything to worry about just yet.
    What a silly challenge by Diouf against Portsmouth at the end though.

/bites tongue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Xavi6 wrote: »
    /bites tongue

You disagree?!

You disagree?!

Most definitely but I'm not derailing the thread by getting into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

George Best never qualified for a world cup. Neither did Johnny Giles but carry on...

*edit - My 2c, I usually like to see Irish footballers doing well in Britain. So I'd look out for Sunderland, Wolves, Reading. Confident that Sunderland will finish top half of the table. Keane gets in a lot of scrapes so maybe thinks he can control wayward players. Thing is though, Keane came off second best in his scrapes with Alex Ferguson and there's no reason yet to believe that he is more wily in his dealings with the players.

oobydooby wrote: »
    George Best never quailfied for a world cup. Neither did Johnny Giles but carry on...

*edit - oops I took the bait

George Best and Johnny Giles were not available for Saipan unfortunately...

As i have said before, McCarthy sent home Ireland's best player. Possibly the best player Ireland ever had.

Are you guys going to keep flaming Roy over Saipan or are we going to discuss Sunderland's league position?

George Best and Johnny Giles were not available for Saipan unfortunately...

As i have said before, McCarthy sent home Ireland's best player. Possibly the best player Ireland ever had.

Are you guys going to keep flaming Roy over Saipan or are we going to discuss Sunderland's league position?

You're the one going on about it to be fair.

You're the one going on about it to be fair.

You were too to be fair

You were too to be fair

:confused: This post -
    Most definitely but I'm not derailing the thread by getting into it.

would suggest I wasn't.

But feel free to start a thread on it and I'll contribute.

/bites tongue

This post, after quoting me on my opinion of Roy would suggest you were.

If you have nothing to add on Sunderland's league position / Roy's management skills, don't post...

• Advertisement

This post, after quoting me on my opinion of Roy would suggest you were.

Why did you bring it up though? A post like that is always going to cause controversy on the subject.
    If you have nothing to add on Sunderland's league position / Roy's management skills, don't post...

I've plenty to add.

He's had a massive budget which he has blown on crap, overpriced players for the most part. He has been talked up to the tilt and is now struggling.

Good players don't always make good managers. He could be the new Bryan Robson.

Why did you bring it up though? A post like that is always going to cause controversy on the subject.
    Look back through the posts, I didn't bring it up.

Anyways, a comparison of Mick and Roy's management skills, however controversial, is highly relevant, not just because they have both managed Sunderland, but because they have both fought for Championship promotion.

Agreed, and he was very close to Bryan Robson so this could easily be the case. Hopefully it's not the case though, and Sunderland can succeed with Roy's management skills improving enough to see him go back to Utd some day!

Look back through the posts, I didn't bring it up.

Anyways, a comparison of Mick and Roy's management skills, however controversial, is highly relevant, not just because they have both managed Sunderland, but because they have both fought for Championship promotion.

A comparison at club level is only relevant as Royston hasn't managed a nation, therefore the Saipan reference was not needed.

Agreed, and he was very close to Bryan Robson so this could easily be the case. Hopefully it's not the case though, and Sunderland can succeed with Roy's management skills improving enough to see him go back to Utd some day!

I respectfully disagree! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

anyone else think all those Irish players were bought to sell shirts? if that was the case then it appears to have worked.

I've nothing against Sunderland, I've been there loads of times and I've always found the supporters a great bunch, but Roy Keane's arrogance bugs the crap out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sunderland are actually 3 points better off than they were at this stage last season.

Last Season

12 Played 2W 3D 7L -9G 9 Points

This Season

12 Played 3W 3D 6L -8G 12 Points

Then again with just 9 points last season they were 15th. :eek:

A comparison at club level is only relevant as Royston hasn't managed a nation, therefore the Saipan reference was not needed.

Well, i wasn't the one who initally brought up Saipan, however I do feel managers should be judged on their decisions at all levels, therefore this reference was needed.

Keane's recent decision to drop Cissa and Diouf following their antics at a birthday party for Martins, was a poor one in my opinion. They had good momentum before the large defeat at Chelsea, which was blown out of proportion. 2 of the goals had been bad decisions(admitted by the ref's assessor) and many sides are getting hammered by Chelsea lately, they are in a different class.

If the defense stops leaking dodgy goals, especially late on such as against Portsmouth, i think they will be able to get enough results to improve a few places on their position last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

anyone else think all those Irish players were bought to sell shirts?
    They wouldn't do that. Would they? :eek:

Celtic did it. Why wouldn't a struggling no-name club in north-east England follow suit?

Anyways, a comparison of Mick and Roy's management skills, however controversial, is highly relevant

From Dunphy's friend, Rod Liddle:
    ... a man full of bile and loathing
    I like Keane; he speaks a lot of sense about the game and seems, instinctively, to loathe what top-level football has become. He has also done a remarkable job at Sunderland, although the team’s gentle downward trajectory must worry him, especially if it leads to Sunderland being replaced in the Premier League next season by Mick McCarthy’s Wolverhampton Wanderers. If that happens, you might allow the honest and decent McCarthy a wryly muttered, valedictory “up your bollocks” in the direction of his old sparring partner. McCarthy is rather too gracious a man to do so, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I suspect that the Irish love affair with Sunderland isn't as strong as it was.

The idea of spending massive amounts of money only to be pitched into the relegation struggle year after year, is a little too unglamorous for most 'fans'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Carturo wrote: »
    And only 3 points seperating bottom and 11th.

Exactly... Don't crack open the champagne just yet Desmond!

Dave! wrote: »
    Don't crack open the champagne just yet !
    The trend is good though! :D

I want to see if The Irish Times keeps up its infatuation with all things SundIreland if they do go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

SectionF wrote: »
    The trend is good though! :D

I want to see if The Irish Times keeps up its infatuation with all things SundIreland if they do go down.

News paper in writing about what a large part of the irish football fans want to read scandal.

LOI fans still dribbling about the support sunderland have picked up shock horror

more news at 11

ntlbell wrote: »
    LOI fans still dribbling about the support sunderland have picked up shock horror

If you can't sell out Tolka park for a Sunderland friendly, I would say the SundIreland brigade have went back to their day clubs, or they're even worse barstoolers than we thought.

He's had a massive budget which he has blown on crap

The problem with Sunderland is Geography, noone wants to live there.
    He has been talked up to the tilt and is now struggling.

It was more his achievements in what he did taking Sunderland 2nd bottom to League champions that created a level of expectation more than anything else.

Of course he could, he could also be the next Ferguson. Noone knows. Sunderland finished 15th last season, knocked out of the cups early on. I expect them to finish in around 10th this season with a run in at least 1 cup.

First 3 years in management, is that a failure? I think it would be extremely harsh to suggest it is, especially if you are being fair and balanced.

stovelid wrote: »
    If you can't sell out Tolka park for a Sunderland friendly, I would say the SundIreland brigade have went back to their day clubs, or they're even worse barstoolers than we thought.

Majority of irish fans watch football in the comfort of a pub/armchair

updates coming by the hour

updates coming by the hour

You said in your last post that there was more news at elven?

Try to keep track of your tedious metaphors, it's confusing.

You said in your last post that there was more news at elven?

Try to keep track of your tedious metaphors, it's confusing.

I'll keep track of the tedious metaphors when you stop posting nonsense.

There's not much hope for either.

I'll keep track of the tedious metaphors when you stop posting nonsense.

There's not much hope for either.

Is there a forum on boards that you don't troll on?

Is there a forum on boards that you don't troll on?

What have I said that was trolling?

If you have nothing to say say nothing don't come back with redic accusations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Didn't know that. With who?
    The team was demoted when he took charge of Sunderland anyway. They had little chance of fighting back then though.

?..they went down to the champ (1st division at the time), then made the playoffs the following year, losing out on promotion, then won the league by a distance the next year (04/05 i think), get a massive points total. Got sacked when they were rubbish in the prem (after having no money to spend on reinforcements).

What have I said that was trolling?

If you have nothing to say say nothing don't come back with redic accusations

Not bothered, man. I'm surprised I even broke my rule of answering one of your posts. I'll not do so again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Ramblers milked the last of the Oirish Sundireland fans earlier in the season.

News paper in writing about what a large part of the irish football fans want to read scandal.
    Only the deluded ones suckered by a massive PR campaign that included junkets for IT hacks.

SectionF wrote: »
    Only the deluded ones suckered by a massive PR campaign that included junkets for IT hacks.

If by massive PR campaign you mean Roy Keane then yes

just about every sports fan is interested in Roy.

It doesn't matter where he goes people will be interestd in him people will want to read about him papers cater for those people..

it's not some conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

I'd be delighted if Sunderland go down, as I dont like Roy Keane at all and that is the only reason. He has spent a lot of money on average players.

It'd be even better if Sunderland go down and Wolves go up!!

COME ON MICKO

just about every sports fan is interested in Roy.

zzz...zzzz....zzzz...zzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It would be better if wolves went up and sunderland stayed up. It would be good for the teams to meet

jamesozzie wrote: »
    It'd be even better if Sunderland go down and Wolves go up!!

COME ON MICKO

Because Wolves were a joy to watch the last time they managed to get into the premier league. :D

Personally I don't want a team in a league that is percieved the best in the world, whose all time club record signing is Ade Akinbiyi, Also "MICKO" was a disaster his last and only time he graced the league, was it 15 points he managed before Derby stole his record with 11 last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Keane this season has been very outspoken, but he's had little to back that up.

His major problem this season would seem to be his signings. I know the Sunderland scouting system was reputed to be muck, but surely they've had some time to improve things now?

Boggles wrote: »
    Because Wolves were a joy to watch the last time they managed to get into the premier league. :D

So that means that the same will apply next season if they go up? They had a different team, different manager
    Personally I don't want a team in a league that is percieved the best in the world, whose all time club record signing is Ade Akinbiyi, Also "MICKO" was a disaster his last and only time he graced the league, was it 15 points he managed before Derby stole his record with 11 last season?

There have been worse signings than Akinbiyi - even some by your hero Keane and do you know what.......MICKO made a 2m profit on Akinbiyi - brillient!! Would Keane make a profit on any of his overpriced players?

• Advertisement

jamesozzie wrote: »
    So that means that the same will apply next season if they go up? They had a different team, different manager

There have been worse signings than Akinbiyi - even some by your hero Keane and do you know what.......MICKO made a 2m profit on Akinbiyi - brillient!! Would Keane make a profit on any of his overpriced players?

It's not keane's job to make profit he's not a business man.

His job to get the team to do better than the year before.

so far he's always done that

so far this year

he's done that

mick sends home the best player to ever grace the ireland stage to not give us a chance of a good run in the world cup

but it's grand shur he made a few quid on a player..

that's that then mick's the man.

so far this year

he's done that

mick sends home the best player to ever grace the ireland stage to not give us a chance of a good run in the world cup

I really didn't want to do it but.....

Keane walked away and didn't give us a chance of a good run at the World Cup. He couldn't put his personal issues aside for a few games. Play the tournament then sort it afterwards. We could have made it to a semi final at least if he stuck around. What sort of man lets down a nation? Stephen Ireland is slated for not wanting to wear the shirt yet Keane is treated like some kind of hero.

Sorry if the can of worms has been opened.

Close them FFS. :(

Close them FFS. :(

Well to be fair 2 people have brought up what happened in Saipan supporting Keane so if those comments are allowed to stand then someone should be allowed speak on McCarthy's side.

Feel free to report the post though and hopefully they all get deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

mick sends home the best player to ever grace the ireland stage to not give us a chance of a good run in the world cup.

Sure Liam Brady must have been well past it by then, as for Keane all I will say is Roy Keane, Stephen Irealnd, Cork Footballers, Cork Hurlers.... anyone else see a trend??

Feel free to report the post though and hopefully they all get deleted.

I'm reporting it to the gardaí. :D

• Advertisement

I'm reporting it to the gardaí. :D

Good idea. We were robbed of a semi final after all! :pac:

Good idea. We were robbed of a semi final after all! :pac:

That's it, I wasn't going to do, but I will have to tell them about your prolific illegal streaming aswell. I'm off to check extradition treaty with Oz. :D

I really didn't want to do it but.....

Keane walked away and didn't give us a chance of a good run at the World Cup. He couldn't put his personal issues aside for a few games. Play the tournament then sort it afterwards. We could have made it to a semi final at least if he stuck around. What sort of man lets down a nation? Stephen Ireland is slated for not wanting to wear the shirt yet Keane is treated like some kind of hero.

Mick Mc Carthy

Quoted word for word

"So I sent him home"

see?

not

roy "I'm walking away"

Mick: "SO i sent him home"

notice something?

Mick Mc Carthy

Quoted word for word

"So I sent him home"

see?

not

roy "I'm walking away"

Mick: "SO i sent him home"

notice something?

If he kept his mouth shut in the first place until after the tournament there would have been no need to send him home. There's a time and a place to complain. A week or two before the biggest tournament in world football is not that time.

so far this year

he's done that

Damn right Keane is not a business man, but he should make the most of the money available to him. Weather you like Keane or not you cant defend his purchases, worst ever. Sure he has an army of strikers, and most of them are complete ***te!!!

And Mick did not "send him home". As pointed out above Keane couldn't put his issues aside and do his best for his country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement