Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gun advice

Options
  • 09-11-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

could anyone tell me were would be the best place to buy my first gun new or second hand for cheap thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

joeyf wrote: »
    could anyone tell me were would be the best place to buy my first gun new or second hand for cheap thanks

Stotgun, rifle, pistol, gauge/calibre, type of shooting preferred bit more info please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭joeyf

Stotgun, rifle, pistol, gauge/calibre, type of shooting preferred bit more info please ?

i was thinking about a rifle or shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

What's your location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Jonty wrote: »
    What's your location?

Good one ;) forgot that :D

Jonty wrote: »
    What's your location?

North Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Shops around Dublin are: Courtlough, Balbriggan. Crescent Sports, Monkstown and Gun Gallery, Drogheda (not sure if they're still open).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Did you try the For Sale/Wanted section,Gun Gallery in Drogheda still open but not cheap by any means.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

There are a bunch of dealers listed in the wiki too: http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Gun_Dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

i was thinking about a rifle or shotgun

Well what do you want a gun for ? Shotguns and rifles would mostly serve a seperate purpose. Not always but mostly I would think. What are your needs in a gun ? Game shooting ? Vermin control ? Target shooting ? You get the idea. Whats it for ?

Heckler wrote: »
    Well what do you want a gun for ? Shotguns and rifles would mostly serve a seperate purpose. Not always but mostly I would think. What are your needs in a gun ? Game shooting ? Vermin control ? Target shooting ? You get the idea. Whats it for ?

well as i said it would be my first gun and what ever i can afford will start me off as i live beside the naul i know courtlough is around here somewere so theres game shooting and ranges around but im also looking for advice you know wat do you think is a good starter

• Advertisement

well as i said it would be my first gun and what ever i can afford will start me off as i live beside the naul i know courtlough is around here somewere so theres game shooting and ranges around but im also looking for advice you know wat do you think is a good starter

So do you want to game shoot ? If so get a shotgun. Do you want to go to a range and target shoot ? If so get a bolt action/ semiauto rifle depending on what the range allows. I have no experience of shotguns but if you are planning on target shooting most people would probably recommend a .22 CZ Brno as a good starter rifle. Cheap and accurate. Best of luck with it.

Heckler wrote: »
    So do you want to game shoot ? If so get a shotgun. Do you want to go to a range and target shoot ? If so get a bolt action/ semiauto rifle depending on what the range allows. I have no experience of shotguns but if you are planning on target shooting most people would probably recommend a .22 CZ Brno as a good starter rifle. Cheap and accurate. Best of luck with it.

thanks for the advice do you have any ball park figure how much you think it would cost

thanks for the advice do you have any ball park figure how much you think it would cost

I bought a secondhand .22 cz brno with scope for 380euro. Mind you the scope isn't up to much. Look up http://www.shoot.ie/ for an idea of prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think you need to decide what you want to do and if it's well catered for in your area with clubs, shooting grounds etc.

You should really try a few different things before you make a decision on what to buy. You will have to apply for a licence and because of the time and money involved you should be making your decision based on some sort of experience.

If Courtlough is near you, go there and try shotgun and rifle and see which one you like best. No offence, but it seems mad to just go out and buy something without having tried it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

rrpc wrote: »
    I think you need to decide what you want to do and if it's well catered for in your area with clubs, shooting grounds etc.

You should really try a few different things before you make a decision on what to buy. You will have to apply for a licence and because of the time and money involved you should be making your decision based on some sort of experience.

If Courtlough is near you, go there and try shotgun and rifle and see which one you like best. No offence, but it seems mad to just go out and buy something without having tried it first.

rrpc is right get a go and see what you like, big difference between rifle and shotgun shooting. On the topic of price cz 22 lr with scope and mod (permission required) approx €700 new a Lanber shotgun new about the same

Take your time as the time old saying goes:
    Range twice shoot once (never big into carpentry):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you'd be leaning towards shotgun your spoiled for choice for clay grounds in your area. There's one down by the quarry, one down along the Ballyboughal road and Courtlough the other side of the motorway. On top of that there's vast amounts of tillage land and market gardeners who no doubt want pigeons and rabbits shot. Why not apply for and a rifle and a shotgun ? I know Courtlough caters for target shooting for both.

Advertisement